Electrical mayhem on 51plate SL500 silver arrow

R

Recherry

I have an sl500 silver arrow and suddenly things don't work, ir rather they work under certain conditions (sometimes). The mirrors will no longer retract with the button. The doors have started locking as you drive off and the most annoying thing is that the mirror adjustment won't work unless you turn the ignition on and open the drivers door. The memory seats work but only on the same conditions but the memory mirror adjustment just picks a random extreme position and after 5-6 pokes of the button decides on where it thinks they should be. Any ideas anyone?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,, your faults are all one thing,, that is a door controller has failed or got water inside. Pulling the fuse out for 10 mins may enable you to do a re set

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
I have an sl500 silver arrow and suddenly things don't work, ir rather they work under certain conditions (sometimes). The mirrors will no longer retract with the button. The doors have started locking as you drive off and the most annoying thing is that the mirror adjustment won't work unless you turn the ignition on and open the drivers door. The memory seats work but only on the same conditions but the memory mirror adjustment just picks a random extreme position and after 5-6 pokes of the button decides on where it thinks they should be. Any ideas anyone?

The doors have started locking as you drive off

This is an option which can be unselected in the settings menu. Its a good option to have as it stops someone opening your door, throwing you out, and stealing your car at the traffic lights complete with car keys :D

nialler

Reaction score
Hi Chas

Just looking at your S320 upgrades, pretty nice, very interested in the command/mp3 options, can you throw a mail my way and tell me how/where you got the software/hardware for such an upgrade, also the led lighting bits I'd be very interested in.

Ta in advance

Nialler

Chas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320
Hi

check my posts here.....

"Mercedes Benz Radios and Navigation Devices

The Mercedes Player MP40 is specifically developed for Mercedes Benz Radios and Navigation devices incorporating D2B Network connectivity. The Mercedes Player MP40 connects to the Radio and Navigation device per D2B optical fibre The most common devices are:

Audio 10 CC, Audio 10 CD, Audio 30 (Tel. Keypad), APS 30, SL, COMAND 2.0, COMAND 2.5, Navigation&Sound (smart)

Existing CD-changer (D2B) will be substituted with the mp3-playing MERCEDES PLAYER MP40. Existing harness can be reused.

http://www.mercedes-player.com/epages/61733784.sf/en_CA/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61733784/Products/10040

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=371850&postcount=1

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showpost.php?p=377865&postcount=55

Last edited:
OP
R

Recherry

Door controller and fuses

Hi Malcolm / Television. Thanks for the info

I understand the door locking but don't understand why it just started all of a sudden.

Malcolm, which fuse looks after the door controllers. How do I get to the door controllers and are they testable?

Cheers
rich

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is normally rain and moisture that starts these thing,like anything electronic things can fail at any time.

All of you faults show that it is a controller,,with anything digital they can lock up (freeze) and only a power down will clear it,,if it can be cleared in this way.

You should have a fuse chart in with the tools on the car, if not I can look it up but it does take time to check

An easy way is to disconnect the battery for 19 mins,,though you will have to re set your windows after that

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
another possibility to add to malcolm's words of wisdom is the wiring harness where the wires go from the body into the door. in this area they are prone to bending stresses, a very common problem on the w215 cars. i have known very similar faults to yours caused by a broken earth cable that only made contact with the door open.

malcolm, remind me, these doors have the parralelogram hinges yes?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
another possibility to add to malcolm's words of wisdom is the wiring harness where the wires go from the body into the door. in this area they are prone to bending stresses, a very common problem on the w215 cars. i have known very similar faults to yours caused by a broken earth cable that only made contact with the door open.

malcolm, remind me, these doors have the parralelogram hinges yes?

No only standard on these cars,,but what you say can still happen, and a good point

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GA=722.607&CT=F&cat=44F&SID=82&SGR=375&SGN=18

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom