W124 E300 Diesel / S124 E300 Diesel Differential

Seweryn

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for an information if the size of the differential units in W124 E300 Diesel Saloon and in the Estate S124 E300 Diesel are the same? I know, the final drive ratio is not exactly the same, but how about the external size, fittings, etc? Are these diffs interchangeble without changing the shafts, etc? Both cars are automatic with ABS, without ASD.

Thanks.

OP
S

Seweryn

Reaction score
As far as I know they are identical save for ratio

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Thanks Nick.

The ratio in the Saloon is 2.87 and in the Estate is 3.07 and I am looking to put the diff from a Saloon to my T, that's why I am asking.

Regards.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
The estate car easily pull a higher top gear. I had a 5-speed manual E300 Diesel for a while and 4th was about the same as top in an auto. 5th was quite a bit higher and it pulled it with no problem at all

The car will be a little slower off the line but I don't think the difference will be night & day

You'll be pulling 3740 rpm on the motorway rather than 4000 rpm

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
S

Seweryn

Reaction score
You'll be pulling 3740 rpm on the motorway rather than 4000 rpm
That's what I am after. I am not going to pull trailers or carrying heavy stuff, but the extra 7% on the ratio would be in plus.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom