Fuel Injection Cleaning on 2003 E500

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Got used to the power 324bhp isnt enough anymore!!!! eh!!!

jib

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Its just a fuel additive afaik.
The dealer's pushing it because they can charge you 5x what its worth so take his recommendation with a pinch of salt - its rather like the engine flush mine tried to sell me, when pushed as to whether I REALLY needed it on a properly maintained, mobil 1 lubricated diesel with 60,000 on the clock? ...'no, probably not'.
However, if it puts your mind at rest, pop into any car spares shop and you can get a bottle of additive around £10 a bottle. It will do no harm. Lots on the market, some you add a measured amount each fill up, others the full botttle in one shot. Fill up, add the appropriate amount. Job done.
I have a bottle of Millers diesel sport that I add to mine (1 measure per 20L) every 2-3 fill ups, just to keep things nice and shiny. They do a petrol version I believe.

If its running a bit off and there's nothing showing up on the daignostics I'd be looking at leads as a more likely cause to be honest. Dealers seem happy to flog you expensive unnecessary treatments but mine repeatedly failed to spot weak ignition leads on my previous car. At 90k if they haven't been replaced I'd be seriously considering it.

LYNALL

Reaction score
I had my injectors tested a few months ago due to another problem and the tester fella said they never see merc injectors ever, and mine tested out fine approx 107k.

Lynall

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
pmay

What petrol you usually use ????????

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 2003 / Acura RL 2003
I use the highest available...93 octane

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Has anyone else ever read the 'ingredients' to these additives.
Apart from the usual Mr Muscle surfactants, are large portion is either diesel or kerosene.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I use the highest available...93 octane

You must be in another country as in the UK it is normally 95 and 97/98.

The big brands tend to have better detergent levels (extra cost) and keep the engine components cleaner than supermarket brands.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
yes, I'm in the US, although I did spend 17 months working near Reading, in Maidenhead and Winsor actually.

OP
P

pmay805

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does anyone know how a dealer actually cleans fuel injectors? I know I can add cleaners to the tank, but I don't want to fowl the fuel filter. What steps would the dealer take?

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
I used to take my old diesel injectors apart. clean them in solvents and wipe clean.
Never done petrol, but have read the sides of many bottles in halfords of injector cleaner.
Majority are kerosene base, some are just diesel, many are a mix including surfactants.
I use my own additive in petrol now and again.
No more than a cupful per tank, but 60% acetone, Toluene and a splash of methanol.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom