W220 Ignition / Cluster issues?

momomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W211, W202
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my 55 plate W220. Its recently started doing this and it seems to be getting worse, its intermittent but getting more frequent.

When the fob is put into into the ignition barrel, you hear the steering lock disengage like normal but when the key is turned through position one to two all the lights should come on and needles move etc etc. Initially when the problem started there was a delay of 5-10 seconds before anything happened at all. The key was in position two but nothing happened at all and then after the delay all lights come on and back to normal, ready to be started.

This delay is not normal and all this is normally instant. Recently its started to do nothing at all. I turn the key from position 0 to two but nothing happens at all, no lights, no nothing, not even after waiting. I have to remove the key and try again. Sometimes straight away sometimes after a few goes.

Any one have any ideas?

I'm thinking the barrel is on its way out?

Many Thanks

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
That could be a fault, the cheapest next move would be a short test, theres a lot to a S,class!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
while we are guessing (hard to know without plugging in) it could be a cluster or sam fault.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
We could go all night long guessing on a 220 A/P,

Really not a fan on the 220 for fault finding, to much on the ****** things!!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We could go all night long guessing on a 220 A/P,

Really not a fan on the 220 for fault finding, to much on the ****** things!!

quite agree coiln, when i do a quick test on one with all the toys i go for a cuppa!! much fun in the future though, taking 2 hrs to tell someone they need a £1000 part to fix a £1000 car! these cars will be getting scrapped fairly quickly methinks.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Couldnt agree more A/P, i always have a cuppa to hand!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is the cluster going to stop the starting of the car,I do not think it would, and more a key thing, Put the key in and if the dash does not light up.give the cluster a bang on top of the dash, and see if it lights up

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i am not reading this as a starting problem malcolm, if momomo could confirm that might help. also momomo, do the needles move and it is just a backlighting problem as per the recall? does you car match the affected vehicle vin numbers as per the recall?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
i am not reading this as a starting problem malcolm, if momomo could confirm that might help. also momomo, do the needles move and it is just a backlighting problem as per the recall? does you car match the affected vehicle vin numbers as per the recall?

I think the fault was corrected around the 54 plate mark, we are talking about a late one here guys!

OP
M

momomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W211, W202

Sorry guys for late reply, alexander it is not just a backlight fault. Nothing moves or even lights up on the cluster. Its as if when it is switched off. I insert the key, turn to position two and nothing will happen at all, no needles moving, no lights, nothing, then after a short delay it springs to life as it is meant to be.

Just today it didn't not do anything at all and i had to remove key and insert and turn a few times before it came on again.

A point tho, the cluster was replaced by the dealership for a new one a quite while back as the other one did have some sort of lighting issue...but don't think this could be causing the problem. The dealership insisted the cluster was as it should be but it was a lot dimmer than it had been when i bought the car and i wanted it changed. They eventually agreed and changed it under warranty. The car is a very late 55 as well.

Last edited:
OP
M

momomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221, W211, W202
Is lazy electronic ignition switch common? Does lazy mean its gone conk out sometime soon? Should i be looking at getting it changed. I presume its going to have to coded and programmed by the dealer?

Autofix

Reaction score
Website
www.kaneautomotive.net
Your Mercedes
SL600
Is lazy electronic ignition switch common? Does lazy mean its gone conk out sometime soon? Should i be looking at getting it changed. I presume its going to have to coded and programmed by the dealer?

No, that symptom is not common but my gut instinct is the same as SAM’s, the ignition switch. I have seen a few odd symptoms cause by the EZS. The best advice would be to get someone who is known to be capable with a star involved.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
it does include the MY2005 cars, it must be worth checking the vin against those listed.

sorry, hadn't read page2!! sounds like this car has already had the replacement cluster.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What I would do is to put the key in the ign and if it will not turn,press any button on the remote while the key is in the ign, the would rule out any transponder fault within the ign switch

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom