W202 Estate 250 TD 1996 Oil pressure light?

Ian Nexus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 Estate C250TD
I have checked my manual and cannot find an oil pressure warning light at all, there is a oil level warning light.
Do MB just assume you will hear the big ends rattling if the pressure drops? :shock:or is there a sender and a hidden light or buzzer?
Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question.

Regards Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am sure that you have an oil pressure gauge

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
on the w202 c250TD here is no oil pressure warning device at all! ther hasnt been in either of my w202's. allegedly, merc are so confident in their ol pumps they warranty them for life, i was told. probably subject to full MB history etc though! in fact unless its in the assys system theres nothing on my 210 for oil pressure warning either!

OP
I

Ian Nexus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202 Estate C250TD
I guess if I get toooo paranoid I could fit an aftermarket oil pressure guage and a boost gauge to inform me of any hoses coming loose, oh no not the modification bug again....I must stop before I place a fake AMG badge on the tailgate :eek:
Thank you for the info....does seem a little bit of an ommision though:neutral:

Regards Ian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250TD (181k), CLK 220 CDI (96k) - gone, Mondeo 1.8TD (101k) - gone, skoda Fabia vrs (tdi) 102k
I have a 99 C250TD and did an oil service recently, I put 5 litres in it and took it for a spin to have the oil light on the dash (yellow) light up - stuck another litre in and the light went out - not sure if the light was telling me oil pressure or level; either way it's the only time it's lit up.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I have a 99 C250TD and did an oil service recently, I put 5 litres in it and took it for a spin to have the oil light on the dash (yellow) light up - stuck another litre in and the light went out - not sure if the light was telling me oil pressure or level; either way it's the only time it's lit up.

oil level warning light is what you had light up. cant remember if the 2.5 turbo engine held 6 or 6.5 litres of oil. at least you can check it on the dipstick though, unlike early cdi engines!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
for my money MB have it right. the oil level warning light is a far far better option than the oil pressure light. in all my years of working on MB cars i have never known a failed oil pump! they just work! i have known people run low or not put enough in though ;). hence it is better to have a level light and warn them before oil feed stops, rather than only warning when pressure drops, it is then too late any way.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
for my money MB have it right. the oil level warning light is a far far better option than the oil pressure light. in all my years of working on MB cars i have never known a failed oil pump! they just work! i have known people run low or not put enough in though ;). hence it is better to have a level light and warn them before oil feed stops, rather than only warning when pressure drops, it is then too late any way.

Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Knock, knock, knock, knock, knock

indeed, when under full load the engine will be fataly damaged in just seconds, probably less than ten even. at idle it could manage a minute i would think.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom