Tyre sizes

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
My son has just bought a car (not a Merc) and it's come with the following tyres :-
Rear
195/65 R15 91H
195/60 R15 87V

Front
195/60 R15 88V
195/60 R15 98V

This seems an odd mix to me and I'm wondering if the rears in particular are safe.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
My son has just bought a car (not a Merc) and it's come with the following tyres :-
Rear
195/65 R15 91H
195/60 R15 87V

Front
195/60 R15 88V
195/60 R15 98V

This seems an odd mix to me and I'm wondering if the rears in particular are safe.

I would have him change this one,as it has a larger profile and a lower speed rating.
It wouldn't pass an MOT with it on,tyres on the same axle must match.
Perhaps the spare is a match for the other three.
As an aside,I was once told by my local tyre fitter that a matching set of tyres is a good guide to the overall standard of maintenance of a vehicle.
I tend to agree and if the previous owner has changed these tyres one by one,or bought second hand,it will probably be worth having the car thoroughly checked for roadworthiness.

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:

matthewm1965

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 W220 S500L, Toyota Supra Mkiv, 1970 Triumph GT6
The rear 195/65 tyre has an overall diameter 19mm larger than the others. Not good.
The H rating gives a max speed rating of 130mph. The V rating gives a max rating of 149mph.
I would change the rear odd one out as soon as pos. Idealy to the same brand/make as the other side.
Your life (or your sons life) may depend on these tyres. Not worth skimping money on.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Snap:)

Regards,
Nick.

OP
P

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks
He bought it off a reputable dealer (it's a 4 year old Focus) who has garage facilities and also MOT'd it beofre the sale.

Not a good advert.

Will be on to them in the morning.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I sometimes think that the words "reputable" and "dealer" should not be used in the same sentence.
I too have been unlucky enough to have bought cars from such people with a brand new MOT,issued by them and with MOT failure points still on the car.
Never done it twice at the same one and always told as many people as possible.

Regards,
Nick.

Ivanerrol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 260e
If you were in Australia that combination would be illegal.
A dealer who sold a car with tyres of this combination would be having an inspection by the authorities.
Tyres and wheels at each end should be the same size, profile and tread pattern. (Mandatory in Australia).

mercedesclk

Reaction score
a car can not be sold with odd tyres like that by a dealer - its illegal. He is obliged to change it.

Threaten him with trading standards and police.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
a car can not be sold with odd tyres like that by a dealer - its illegal. He is obliged to change it.

Threaten him with trading standards and police.

Threatening people gets you nowhere. Why not just politely point out that one tyre is the incorrect size and ask him to replace it?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

OP
P

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for you replies.
the guy now saying this is legal and will not replace.
Can anyone point me to where I get get official confirmation that it is not.

Whilst the car was displayed at the established dealer's site it now turns out it was supplied by a sub-contractor who operates off this site, so "It's nothing to do with us" even though they stamped the service book - "he has his own mechanic who uses these premises" This is Barkers of preston and the supplier is Your Car Credit Ltd. Surprise surprise the MOT was done by someone else.

djb

Reaction score
Thanks for you replies.
the guy now saying this is legal and will not replace.
Can anyone point me to where I get get official confirmation that it is not.

Whilst the car was displayed at the established dealer's site it now turns out it was supplied by a sub-contractor who operates off this site, so "It's nothing to do with us" even though they stamped the service book - "he has his own mechanic who uses these premises" This is Barkers of preston and the supplier is Your Car Credit Ltd. Surprise surprise the MOT was done by someone else.

Ring trading standards, or better still vosa, who are in charge of mots etc.

see

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Cat of Defects April 08_rev_200608-cjd.pdf

page 137, details from Vehicle & Operator Services Agency
Categorisation of Defects

Tyres of different types/ nominal
sizes/ aspect ratio fitted on the same
axle
One tyre is of a different nominal size or
aspect ratio from those on the same axle

aparently only allowable if the odd tyre is a space saver!

Last edited:
OP
P

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks djb that's exactly what I was looking for.

djb

Reaction score
Thanks djb that's exactly what I was looking for.

Tis a pleasure,

I would double check the ABS system as well (if fitted) as uneven tyre sizes usually make the abs system throw a fault.

Top Bottom