W 126. change belt ?

L

longlostpoet

W 126, 300 SE. Auto. 1986.
~
what mileage should i be looking at, to start thinking of a replacement timing chain and or cam belt
~
and is it a 'Dealer only' job ?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
hello long lost poet, no it is not a dealer job only, and yes, i would love to do your timing chain! sadly honesty forces me to inform you that your timing chain should last indefinitely. if you have no problems with it (eg rattling etc) then do not worry until you reach 250-500,000 miles!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
hello long lost poet, no it is not a dealer job only, and yes, i would love to do your timing chain! sadly honesty forces me to inform you that your timing chain should last indefinitely. if you have no problems with it (eg rattling etc) then do not worry until you reach 250-500,000 miles!

That was so nicely worded,, thank you :D:D

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks malc, not too arrogant and insulting this time?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks malc, not too arrogant and insulting this time?

You have never been that ever,,you are much more controlled than me.

There was a post this morning where someone wanted a good man in Suffolk and I directed him towards you

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Hello Brainy Boys

Does this timing chain advice ('life of the engine', perhaps) apply to my old 220 K miles 104 (twin cam) engine?

The only noise is the clacking tappets on start-up but this clears within 3 seconds. Oil changes always on time, 5W/40 synthetic for the last 130 K miles and, mostly, long journeys of more than 60 miles.

Otherwise no untoward noises aside from occasional accessory belt squeek when it's humid weather. I had loads of squeek before Steve Redfearn in Wimbledon replaced fan and fan bearing, as well as several 'jocky wheels' and this squeek was eliminated by silicon spray, as it is today. Perhaps a new, non-sprayed belt would finally remove the squeek.

Sorry about that, 2 questions in one.

All the best.

RayH

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once the oil has drained down it is often hard to say if tappets or chain, though one can tell the difference when you hear it.

It might be an idea to take the rocker cover off and set it up on the timing marks, we say as a rule that 3mm out is the max. If the teeth on the camshaft wheels are sharp, then they and the chain should be replaced

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
i suggest you need not worry about your chain at all ray, the noise is likely to be tappets. and the squeek? very annoying isn't it? yes a new belt should cure it, or removing all the little bits of metallic debris caught in its grooves may help.

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
Not too worried ...

Thanks both.

I feel it's most likely just the tappets. It's got no worse over several years so, given economic constraints, I'll leave well alone.

Same with the belt, I think. Silicon spray rules!

It's funny that this car doesn't like hot weather. Now that the highs are about 15C, all idle surging, stalling and even reluctance to select reverse have gone. Everything's as smooth as silk (agghhh - why did I say that?).

Even the lumpiness/reluctance after a hot start seems to have gone.

Thanks again.

RayH

OP
L

longlostpoet

thanks

thanks for the info'
i realize my mistake now.....
i was comparing my Mercedes with other well known car makes...
lol

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom