W124 ASR 400e Problems

MattAuty

Reaction score
Hello, all. New to this forum and hoping that somebody can help.
Recently bought a 400e (Euro model) 1993 that was running rough (didn't pay much for it, so decided it was worth the risk). Anyway got it running sweetly by chaning the plugs and both Distributopr caps, gave it a full fluid and filter change and started driving it around.
But now have ASR problems (don't know if they were there before as it didn't run well enough to drive, but the light wasn't on).
Anyway here is a description of the symptoms.
On start up lights all go out, but after exactly 3mins 48 secs (same everytime) the light comes on, but car still runs perfectly.
Whilst the light is off (for the first 3mins 48 secs) the ASR works perfectly, but you can feel the ASR pump under the brake fluid reservoir pumping (have had the nylon pipe off and fluid is getting through), and also the ABS block ticks. After the 3min 48 secs the light comes on and the ASR pump stops and the ABS block stops ticking. Everything else works perfectly except no traction control, which is not all that bad as you can then have some real fun, tail out etc :D
Have considered just pulling out the bulb and living with it, which would still allow the tail-out fun, but really would like to sort it if possible. A 400e is not really supposed to behave like a holigan, but it is fun for a while :D
Hope someone has got some ideas, thanks Matt.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Could be the battery losing voltage.

There has to be a minimum voltage for those systems to work, otherwise they are disabled by design.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Great first post: succinct description of the problem, detailed information including your diagnostic process so far. I wish everyone else's requests for help were so comprehensive. Unfortunately I don't think I can add anything useful!

If the timing is the same every time it suggests to me that the fault is always present (ie, it doesn't occur after some period of time of driving the car) so I would suggest that there is a fault and there is a timer that disables the system after detecting it

I imagine the ASR will work off the ABS sensors. If the ABS works OK at all times then logically it should not be related to them. I'd try swopping in a known-good ASR ECU - but I realise they don't grow on trees. You should find one on eBay in Germany

Your local MB dealer would be the best people to diagnose this as they have all the test equipment & WIS. I used my local dealer recently to diagnose a cruise control fault - it was a wiring fault behind the battery and would have been almost impossible to find by any other means

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

edz649

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL600, 450 SEL
I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same syptoms on my SL 600. I have had it diagnosed by an indie (Olly @ PCS in Horndean) and it is the ABS pump that is at fault. Over the winter when I'm not using it so much I'm going to have it refurbed (£500) as a new pump is £1200!

I haven't timed mine so I'm intrigued to see if its the same time as yours! Will let you know over the weekend.

Last edited:

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
ASR Fault went away ...

I had a similar ASR issue with my 300CE-24, just after I bought it with 140 K KMs from Mercedes main dealer in France. The 'ticking' was in evidence from engine start-up and then the ASR light would come on. Doubtless the ASR was deactivated.

According to MB, they solved this ploblem by bleeding the system 'several times' to purge all air from it. This made some sense to me at the time. They did say that if the purging failed, they would need to replace the pump (pity really as it was under guarantee).

Since then, the problem has never returned but there's usually a 1-second burst of ticking when starting the engine from cold.

Hope this is of some use.

RayH

OP
M

MattAuty

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. As it appears to be the easiest and cheapest option I will bleed/purge the entire brake system next week and see if that clears the fault (thanks for the tip RayHenning).
Don't think it is the battery as it is nearly new and tests OK.
After that will remove the ABS pump and send it off for testing. I use ECU Testing, they are fair and honest and don't just bill for the sake of it, like some I have used.
I will update later with results
Matt

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I cannot see the connection with the ABS pump

OP
M

MattAuty

Reaction score
Just an update, car has been left for 2 days outside and it has been cold, went to it this morning and started straight up but with ASR light lit from go, no ticking from ABS pump and no pumping noise from ASR pump, also absolutely no engine power! Turned it off, and turned it back on and hey presto, no ASR light and a ticking ABS pump and pumping ASR pump, and loads of power? Maybe a poor electrical connection?
Will see what happens tomorrow and update then and after I have bleed/purge the ABS pump and brake system

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ASR & ABS are linked, they use the same wheel sensors IIRC.

That they are but not the ABS pump,, speed signals are one thing and the first check is always the OVP output,,it is critical on these systems

maggot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190e
Just an update, car has been left for 2 days outside and it has been cold, went to it this morning and started straight up but with ASR light lit from go, no ticking from ABS pump and no pumping noise from ASR pump, also absolutely no engine power! Turned it off, and turned it back on and hey presto, no ASR light and a ticking ABS pump and pumping ASR pump, and loads of power? Maybe a poor electrical connection?
Will see what happens tomorrow and update then and after I have bleed/purge the ABS pump and brake system

No additional information to add but I was curious to know if this is the same 400 that is for sale on ebay at the moment........I ask as they are quite rare in the UK and you mentioned it was a cheap buy.

OP
M

MattAuty

Reaction score
Television (Malcolm), thanks for the further info, do you know where the OVP relay and fuse are on a 400e, as presumably they are in a different place to the other models which have the battery under the bonnet and not in the boot.
Thanks
Matt

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom