Clicking sound centre console - C32 W203

mingblus3

Reaction score
I have a srange clicking sound going on, it's not really loud but you can certainly notice it when the car starts up and stationary. It's noticable at low speeds and i'm pretty sure it does it when hot or cold. Tomorrow i'll try and get some more info as to whether it speeds up as the car moves faster and if it's still doing it in reverse.

I've had a look around on the web and the only things I've come up with so far are heatshield issues where they sag. I'm hoping this is something relatively easy to fix, seeing as i've had nothing but problems so far.

Any one got any other suggestions?

Regards

Simon

MB Service Centre

Reaction score
Website
www.mbservicecentremansfield.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A210 E320
Hi the 203 do get problems with the heater flap actuators< theres quite a few of these on your car though. What happes is where the plastic arm fits onto the motor theyy split and the motor still trys to tunn causing this noise< its one to check.
Thanks
rob

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
When i say centre console it's coming from the armrest. Where you would normally find a handbrake except on a merc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is this then the parking brake cable where the clips are broken and it touches the prop shaft

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
It's worth a look so i will jack the car up tomorrow evening and have a look if I have time. I'm guessing the cable runs the length of the car alongside the shaft?

Simon

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's worth a look so i will jack the car up tomorrow evening and have a look if I have time. I'm guessing the cable runs the length of the car alongside the shaft?

Simon

This is a well known fault

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
That's good to know. Cheers

Simon

OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
Just thought i'd add my results after the drive to work.

It was not apparent when I started it up this morning. It became noticeable after about an hour when i was driving around town. The noise stops when the car stops moving, it starts immedaitely after moving forward, it does seem to speed up the faster I get but I can't be sure for certain, it's hard to hear it when accelerating due to the sound of the engine and exhaust.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just thought i'd add my results after the drive to work.

It was not apparent when I started it up this morning. It became noticeable after about an hour when i was driving around town. The noise stops when the car stops moving, it starts immedaitely after moving forward, it does seem to speed up the faster I get but I can't be sure for certain, it's hard to hear it when accelerating due to the sound of the engine and exhaust.

Then you know what it is then :D:D

Avocado

Reaction score
I have a similar problem w/ clicking noise under center console....I looked under car but I don't see the parking brake cable.....Television, can you please be more specific? Thank you for the excellent info.......

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
70s bathroom suite, give us a little more info, eg this noise is only when moving, gets faster with speed and gets better/worse depending which way you turn?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As Alex above Just a little more info please, and welcome to the forum

Avocado

Reaction score
My 2004 C240 makes a clicking noise from under the center console. Noise picks up with speed and goes away when car is not moving.

I think it might be the parking Brake cable as was mentioned earlier in this thread, When I jacked up the car to look under....I couldn't locate the parking brake cable to inspect it.

The noise is irritating, but does not seem to affect the performance of car...

I love this car....but the noise is making me crazy !!! LOL.....

Any help is MUCH appreciated !!!......................THANK YOU

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
try leaving the parking brake lightly on as a test then see if noise is still there.

If not then its parking brake related if noise still there its less likely to be related to parking brake

if all else fails to locate noise consider getting a small microphone on a wire place it in various positions and record sound - that way you can find where noise is coming from and get some clues.

Last edited:
OP
M

mingblus3

Reaction score
Just a quick update mine is still clicking and have not yet had time to look underneath the car. I've purchased a mechanics stethoscope for another job but reckon this could come in handy locating it.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
you might have to remove the heat shield under the car to the rear of the gearbox and then you might see rub marks on the propshaft where the hand brake cable is touching.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom