At least one MB dealer is trying (and succeeding)

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Just returned from MB Harrogate which has a service director who listens and acts. Got a mailshot through the post a week or so back targetting AMG owners offering a "Complimentary health check".

A few (pleasantly) shocking commitments - "You will be introduced to the technician performing the health check and invited into the workshop to watch ... You will be able to ask the technician any questions you have"

So at zero cost, I've just had (I believe) a full STAR diagnostic, physical check, asked lots of silly questions too trivial to have posted on this forum, got some rubber grease (foc) that will hopefully stop my roof noises, full print out of all faults stored, faults cleared down - and not a salesman in sight!!!

Quite nice with about 8 AMGs all in the same workshop at the same time - made a really lovely soundtrack

Partly, no doubt, as nothing of any substance whatsoever was found and nothing needs attention or even watching, this made the very best of a horrible wet Saturday!

I am a happy person :D:D:D:D

David

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
I have posted nice things about MB Harrogate previously on this forum. This confirms my impressions of the past two years.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
What a great way for them to find faults so they can charge customers to rectify them.

Or am I just being cynical?

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
drmw - had the same Health Check for the car last week at MB Norwich. Car went in for a rattle, had diagnosis, going in next week for repair. Whilst having Health check they then washed and valeted the car. One can be cynical and say this is to drum up business but one does not have to have any work carried out!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
What a great way for them to find faults so they can charge customers to rectify them.

Not too cynical but normally there are fees for diagnostics, if no fault is found and a car is under warranty, you can still be charged for the investigative work.

This was true on an AUC BMW of mine. I felt its gearchanges were harsh and despite it being under warranty the garage (Douglas Park BMW) wanted £70 if the car was fine for labour. I didnt bother and got the MB in the end.

The OP has had the car looked over, diagnostic work for £0.00. Not bad IMHO, nice wee treat for AMG owners. Shame CDi owners dont get the same.

survey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C207 E250cdi Sport Coupe
Not too cynical but normally there are fees for diagnostics, if no fault is found and a car is under warranty, you can still be charged for the investigative work.

This was true on an AUC BMW of mine. I felt its gearchanges were harsh and despite it being under warranty the garage (Douglas Park BMW) wanted £70 if the car was fine for labour. I didnt bother and got the MB in the end.

The OP has had the car looked over, diagnostic work for £0.00. Not bad IMHO, nice wee treat for AMG owners. Shame CDi owners dont get the same.

Mine is a Cdi. No mailshot but check was carried out whilst car with them and I received a printed report!

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010

MB Harrogate is offering the same free service to all owners.

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes

I think perhaps you might be being cynical Helen (or more likely, still bruised from a £1077 potential(?) bill for a strut leg) ;);)

There was no commitment to have anything they found fixed and the guy who organised this is every bit as aware that we could have the expensive diagnosis carried out then disappear into the sunset to the nearest indie!

As the title said, I think they are trying - hard - to pull back from a lousy but well-earned reputation for "creative" diagnoses.

A bit like why PC World et al are in dire straits - Joe Public wants a new laptop, so he goes to the nearest PCW, does the touchy feely bit, drains the sales person of any and all info, then goes off to buy the one he wants online because that's cheaper.

If you (certainly I) get something for nothing from what at the end of the day is meant to be the guys in the know, then you (I) might be just tempted to follow through should anything need to be done. Having used indies many times, there have been situations where it would have been cheaper and faster to go direct. Not many, but some for sure.

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring

Well clearly & obviously that's why they're doing it. Mercedes Dealers don't finance themselves from some endless pot of money that magically refills itself (unlike, you might say, UK banks) so they have a commercial motive

However I think inviting the customer to see the process, taking time with the customer & generating goodwill has to be worthwhile

Next time you think about their hourly rate think about the rent & rates, finance & costs to setup a showroom that meets MB spec, staffing & training costs, National Insurance, pensions, health insurance, maternity leave, legal costs, costs of complying with the infinite number of Health & Safety rules, cost of waste disposal, insurance (buildings, liability, stock, customers on premises, etc), storage of unsold cars, transport, company vehicles... the list goes on and on. It all has to be paid for somehow

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I think all dealerships are desperate to get people in the door. I got a cut-price service offer from a local BMW dealer in the post today - yet I've never owned a BMW!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I just popped into my dealer today because of noisy wipers, a very annoying squeak at the park position. Took them about 40min to reset the wipers, swap over the blades and test.

No charge, so yes I think they are trying and in my opinion succeeding, at least MB Swindon are :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I wonder if I will get two more struts if I take in a box of chocolates with me

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes

Hmm ... I think that might need a bit more persuasion - perhaps a balaclava and an AK47?

Problem is, when you quote the part numbers to the Nth degree they might just clock it's Malcolm the mugger;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm ... I think that might need a bit more persuasion - perhaps a balaclava and an AK47?

Problem is, when you quote the part numbers to the Nth degree they might just clock it's Malcolm the mugger;)

Strangely enough MB SW are always very nice to me:cool::cool:

xavierx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi

I've had much success with previous cars, when I knew an expensive repair was going to be due, by taking a very large crate of beer to the workshop doors around the back and asking to speak to the service manager. Have a quick chat with them, tell them about your car and make sure they know your registration.

When you book your car in for the work officially, its nice to see the final bill not showing half the work that was actually done :D

The time this worked best for me was when I had a cooling fan come off its mountings and destroy the radiator, all the pipwwork and the other fan and all assocaited mountings..... When I collected the car with all new parts fitted (and a courtesey car for 4 days) I was very impressed to see a bill that said "Replacement front grill £60" :D:D:D

psmart

Reaction score
Where's hawk20? :confused:
Just the very same question I was pondering. Do miss his dry wit and perpetual argumentative stance, the forums a tad boring without having an argument with Hawk.

On the subject of Mercedes Harrogate.... I do hope so....but they could start with forcing the petrol prices down at the forecourt, making it at least as competitive as the Jet station, may get punters pulling in and then looking over their wares. Then making there prices competitive on labour, such as the German system where the labour rate depends on the job, not a fixed 100++ per hour.

psmart

Reaction score
I think that I upset him:(:(
Top Marks :) ... someone who has actually got the better of Hawk..... I was beginning to think he was invincible.... gives the rest of us hope and a chance to win an argument against him now :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just the very same question I was pondering. Do miss his dry wit and perpetual argumentative stance, the forums a tad boring without having an argument with Hawk.

I just got upset when so many members have problems and massive bills to pay when there are cheaper alternatives. Hawk is not in the same position as many of our members where a £1k bill can rock the family finances heavily.

All of the arguments over the rust and if you have a full MB service its all taken care of when it is not, and illegal to have such practices thank god for that post by Roderick
here
Number 47
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=53859&page=2

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom