ATF change - should I change the pilot bush whilst I'm there?

lulu

Reaction score
Pretty much as the title.

I'm going to change the ATF in my 722.699 (2005) box.
Given there are several threads with regards to the pilot bush failing and causing ATF to creep into the electrics and cause additional problems, would I be wise to change it, or leave it alone?
Is this an item that's been updated over the years? Would mine have an 'old' or 'new' one if it has?
What actually fails, is it the item itself, or an 'O' ring?

(I know there's a school of thought regarding if it aint broke dont fix it, and I do usually make matters worse when tampering with working parts!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Isnt you car too new to have the pilot bush problem, see what one of the techies says

OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score
Thanks Malc, I wasn't sure, which is why I'd thought I'd give the model and date, for those in the know.

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
Pretty much as the title.

I'm going to change the ATF in my 722.699 (2005) box.
Given there are several threads with regards to the pilot bush failing and causing ATF to creep into the electrics and cause additional problems, would I be wise to change it, or leave it alone?
Is this an item that's been updated over the years? Would mine have an 'old' or 'new' one if it has?
What actually fails, is it the item itself, or an 'O' ring?

(I know there's a school of thought regarding if it aint broke dont fix it, and I do usually make matters worse when tampering with working parts!)

CHANGE IT!.......they only cost circa £15 and it's dead easy to fit while your there doing the atf...........the pilot bush (spacer) has been an ongoing problem for MB, they are constantly modifying the seals. I replaced mine, which was leaking, about 2 years ago with the then 'newest version' and just a few weeks ago i checked it and it was leaking again!, i bought a new one from MB where i was informed it was a newer version with 'black' 0 rings (the previous one i fitted had 'white' 0 rings which the partsman acknowledged were not successful) ...when you remove the spacer make sure BOTH 0 rings come out with the spacer and that you dont inadvertantly leave one behind in the aperture.

In summary, based on the above, better to change it BEFORE it gives problems rather than AFTER.

Last edited:
OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score
Thanks panason1c.
I've had a glance on EPC and the part's been modified 3 times at least (up to 2008 - I've no info beyond that)

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Just to add Steve, you are welcome to use the ramp if you want mate!!

OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score
Thank you very much (as ever)!

Last edited:
OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score
MB changed mine under warranty, Dec 2005 model.

Russ

When was it changed?
If it was late enough would it not have the latest mod?
Does it mention the part number on any paperwork or anything to cross reference with EPC?

OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score
Just as an additional point......
.....in EPC is says to, 'Exhaust stock of old part numbers first'.

So, MB know there's a fault with the part, which is why they've modified it (3 times), yet are still prepared to unload their faulty crap on the unsuspecting customer. (And not necessarily give you a box of Thorntons in the process.)

Also, three modifications!? how ****** difficult can it be to get it right?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just as an additional point......
.....in EPC is says to, 'Exhaust stock of old part numbers first'.

So, MB know there's a fault with the part, which is why they've modified it (3 times), yet are still prepared to unload their faulty crap on the unsuspecting customer. (And not necessarily give you a box of Thorntons in the process.)

Also, three modifications!? how ****** difficult can it be to get it right?

Just help out MB by taking a few faulty ones,then you will be OK eventually :D:D

OP
lulu

lulu

Reaction score
That's the one.

(I didn't bother with the dipstick tube locking pin, like they did in the write up. When you break the locking pin, pull the top off and replace after filling, you'll realise it's not going to come off without the locking pin present. This will be the second time I've changed the ATF and the cap's stayed on since last time.)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The whole pilot bush should be replaced, and not just the O ring. One should mark the white section with a green dot, so that everyone knows that it has been replaced. And it only gets changed again if it leaks

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom