Hesitation / delay on moving off C 220 Sport CDi Auto

cambridge

Reaction score
Am I really alone with this problem? My 6 month old estate travels for about 20 feet at walking pace for about 2 seconds from a standing start before the power kicks in, even when flooring the accelerator pedal. This is a dangerously excessive delay in my opinion and has caused me several problems with other drivers. MB have checked the vehicle and declare it normal and the car has "no faults";). I beg to differ. It is only a matter of time before this causes a rear end shunt and I have to anticipate every exit from a side road or entry to a roundabout. It also makes a nonsense of published acceleration figures eg 0 to 60 etc. How many other drivers recognise this as a problem?
In all other respects this car is (almost) perfect and great fun to drive.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
I have star diags the same as Mercedes do, Im in haddenham if you want me to put star on it and see what that comes up with.

jib

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Older cdis like mine do this as a matter of course - just turbo lag. If I want a quick getaway I have to open the throttle 1/2 to 1 second before I need the power. Not 2 seconds though or I'll smack into the passing car.

I was under the impression that the 204 220 had 2 turbos to make the power delivery more linear. It sounds to me like the smaller initial turbo isn't doing it's job.

The only way to tell if something is up really is to drive the dealer's demonstrator and see if its any different.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Did not someone else complain of this a month or two back

NickP

Reaction score
Surrey and St Jacques Des Guerets, 41800, France
Your Mercedes
W205 220d sport estate Premium plus 2017
Older cdis like mine do this as a matter of course - just turbo lag. If I want a quick getaway I have to open the throttle 1/2 to 1 second before I need the power. Not 2 seconds though or I'll smack into the passing car.

I was under the impression that the 204 220 had 2 turbos to make the power delivery more linear. It sounds to me like the smaller initial turbo isn't doing it's job.

The only way to tell if something is up really is to drive the dealer's demonstrator and see if its any different.

Oh no they don't. Mine is ten years old and has never done this. The situation described by the original poster and now you is very dangerous and should not happen at all, there is obviously a problem and If MB say this is normal they are lying.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh no they don't. Mine is ten years old and has never done this. The situation described by the original poster and now you is very dangerous and should not happen at all, there is obviously a problem and If MB say this is normal they are lying.

I would have to agree with you on this and it has been up before, and very dangerous

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Mines fine ........ so was my wifes 203 .......... we had a post on this ...... only this week, Malc .................and he conceded to over exaggeration !

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
What's the RPM doing while you are doing the slow start?

It sound more like the kind of thing a faulty transmission is likely to do rather than the engine.

winbrite

Reaction score
hi ya
i have a new ml 350 rich the same problem is also evident waiting for a reply from merc techies monday 2nd nov will let you know the outcome

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have a new member complaining on a new post on the same thing with his blue efficiency

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
winbrite

will be interesting to hear what they say.

Does the new blue efficiency have the CAN bus (buses) with lots of electronic controllers all talking to each other about when to go into limp mode and so on?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
winbrite

will be interesting to hear what they say.

Does the new blue efficiency have the CAN bus (buses) with lots of electronic controllers all talking to each other about when to go into limp mode and so on?

All cars have this,,and it is used more an more,,there is often bugs that come up on new models,until a fix is found you will be told that there is no fault with the car

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm,

I'm trying to work my way through how the MB controllers talk to each other on the CAN bus.

Motivated in part by the need to fix my own car. The transmission fault as you suggested seems to be in the electro/speed sensor plate or even the valve body. I am hoping that it's not the K2 clutch (within the transmission) slipping (K2 goes on when changing from 2nd to 3rd gear).

OP
C

cambridge

Reaction score
Did not someone else complain of this a month or two back

I wonder how to find this earlier similar complaint in the forum.
I would expect any driver to make the same comments as myself, after all, this is supposed to be a "Sport" version!
This does not feel like turbo lag, as the car meanders forwards at walking pace for a good twenty feet (about 2 seconds)...even a non-turbo diesel would move faster than this. I think it is a feature of the electronics communications and there must be a fix being worked up.
I suspect MB are fully aware in Stuttgart but they do not seem to communicate with their dealers, so all UK MB Technical can say is "there is no fault". I simply don't believe them when they say "We have not had a complaint from anyone else about this!"
I am encouraged by your respective replies and have started to talk with the AA, who are equally concerned about this from a safety perspective, like us all.

A

andy@pcd-ltd

I know of a problem with these engines and gearboxes they have to update both the software in the engine and gearbox control units but it depends on what model code this car is i.e 806,807 etc.

This is a known issue of mercs with a title of slow start off sluggish acceleration and poor performance and this is the known fix for it

Top Bottom