W124 Outside Temp sensor problem

Donald 300TD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300TD
Is the outside temperature sensor prone to failing.I've checked and cleaned the probe behind the front number plate.

my car is a 1991 300TD

The problem is that sometimes there is no display,then its saying its minus 2 outside when its clearly not and then other times its fine,maybe its a quirk i'll have to get used to but with winter on its way i reckon it will be handy to have

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This is a hard one,,when the sensor fails they show -38c the display is not affected and it is possibly the display more than the sensor, you could unplug the sensor and see whe the display says

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
When the sensor fails it either gives wildly inaccurate temp readings or the display can dissappear totally.
Replace the sensor, was less than a tenner when i bought one.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a hard one,,when the sensor fails they show -38c the display is not affected and it is possibly the display more than the sensor, you could unplug the sensor and see whe the display says

Sorry Malc have to disagree, the one on my C230K failled recently and i thought i had a display fault as the display dissappeared completely, i replaced the sensor with one from my AMG and it worked perfectly again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry Malc have to disagree, the one on my C230K failled recently and i thought i had a display fault as the display dissappeared completely, i replaced the sensor with one from my AMG and it worked perfectly again.

No that is nice to know,,in some cases the value of the sensor could change so much that it takes the display with it

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No that is nice to know,,in some cases the value of the sensor could change so much that it takes the display with it

Yes I agree, though I believe mine only went like this as it had fallen out of the holder in the bumper and was dragging along the road it wore the point of the sensor ever so slightly but this was enough to expose the component that is encapsulated inside to become slightly exposed.
But regardless how it happens it does show that the sensor can go so out of wack it can take out the display.

OP
D

Donald 300TD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300TD
no worries guys,i'm going to the dealers tomor anyway for a breather pipe so i'll order a sensor as the breakers round here have no mercs at all,must be good testament to the quality of Mercedes!

Thanks

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom