How do i burn MP3s onto DVD that work in Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonhunt2000

Reaction score
I have a brand new E-Class with an Audio 20 Command Unit. I have burned a CD using jukebox option and it works fine with folders etc. When I burn it using DVD jukebox version I get 'disc unreadable' error, I have tried with both DVD +r and DVD -R.

Any help appreciated I am really getting frustrated, or please point me to an appropriate thread (I did do a search but could not find anything)

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,I cant help much but the comand is fussy on the disc, and need a highly reflective surface, and I know the nero works

OP
J

jonhunt2000

Reaction score
Hello and welcome,,I cant help much but the comand is fussy on the disc, and need a highly reflective surface, and I know the nero works

Ok thanks, if someone can recommend one that works that would be great. The ones I am using are a bit dull, so that may be the problem.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok thanks, if someone can recommend one that works that would be great. The ones I am using are a bit dull, so that may be the problem.

I believe it was disc made by TDK but not 100% hopefully someone else will join in

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
I have a brand new E-Class with an Audio 20 Command Unit. I have burned a CD using jukebox option and it works fine with folders etc. When I burn it using DVD jukebox version I get 'disc unreadable' error, I have tried with both DVD +r and DVD -R.

Any help appreciated I am really getting frustrated, or please point me to an appropriate thread (I did do a search but could not find anything)

Thanks

Not sure if you have Comand or audio20 but its worth noting that in such a new car you will be invalidating your warranty on the head unit if you use burned disks. If you have Comand in a new E class then you should have an SD card slot onto which you can load music.

I have had many a discussion on this issue with members here and elsewhere. Basically by using disks with low reflectivity you will be causing the laser and its mechanism to perform re-reads far more often than it would do with a genuine disk. This WILL shorten the life of the laser. In all the years I have been installing head units I have seen many system that refuses to read copied navigation disks and audio disks. Pop in a genuine disk and they are fine. I have also seen many units give up completely after months of reading copied disks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is a bit of an old wives tale that the home made disc will damage the laser pick up head,,this cannot really happen as the movement of the head in the suspension moves far more that it does when reading after the disc is inserted. I use a special meter to measure the output from the head. The first thing it has to do is to read the TOC, if it cannot do that then it will say "no disc" the head is only picking up a return of the signal that it sends out in the first place, and all it is doing is reading the pits and troughs in the disc.

Often what happens is that though the head may have difficulty in reading as the output is too low,,then it will fail anyway in the near future as the gain drops.

I have special test CDs some £750 worth for setting up pick up heads,,if only we could get hold of the service manuals and access the service menu,,the gain, focus and off set could all be checked and adjusted.

OP
J

jonhunt2000

Reaction score
Not sure if you have Comand or audio20 but its worth noting that in such a new car you will be invalidating your warranty on the head unit if you use burned disks. If you have Comand in a new E class then you should have an SD card slot onto which you can load music.

I have had many a discussion on this issue with members here and elsewhere. Basically by using disks with low reflectivity you will be causing the laser and its mechanism to perform re-reads far more often than it would do with a genuine disk. This WILL shorten the life of the laser. In all the years I have been installing head units I have seen many system that refuses to read copied navigation disks and audio disks. Pop in a genuine disk and they are fine. I have also seen many units give up completely after months of reading copied disks.

The manual states that burned DVD disks (DVD +r and DVD -r) can be used and even tells you the ISO format to format them on, as far as I am aware theres no such thing as a 'genuine' DVD that plays MP3s. I do have a brand new E-Class but theres no SD slot, which is a shame as they seem to be on everything else nowadays.

If anyone has actually found a disk that works please let me know.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The manual states that burned DVD disks (DVD +r and DVD -r) can be used and even tells you the ISO format to format them on, as far as I am aware theres no such thing as a 'genuine' DVD that plays MP3s. I do have a brand new E-Class but theres no SD slot, which is a shame as they seem to be on everything else nowadays.

If anyone has actually found a disk that works please let me know.

Thanks

Someone has posted in the last 7 days and told of what they did to get it to read the first 225 tracts, and then the next batch

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
And I can assure you that since most of my life has been spent fixing these things as a sole UK service agent, including Harmon, that no more wear takes place on a disc that cannot be read. Some pick ups fail within a very short time, others go on for ever.

The horrible noise that you hear, is only a sound issue, when a head cannot track, this does not affect the pick up head, it cannot as the gain,focus and offset are all fixed parameters, it purely reproduces what it see's, what it cannot see is just a horrible noise sound wise .

A pickup has to be able to pass the built in flaws on the test disc in the picture if it is going to good on tracking.

Hmmmmm. I hadnt realised that you had sole rights to repairing Comand units.

I am not saying there is any wear at all on the disk. Please re-read my posts. What you are suggesting is that the laser life is not affected by use. In fact you have said they go on for ever which is plainly not correct at all.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
My 2 cents :)

I work in the media/video industry and have assisted in the production of the DVD mastering stage for many a big movie. There are cheaper brands of CD/DVD media that have a very low reflective backing making it more difficult for lesser designed laser units to correctly read the lands and pits that are engraved into the disk. Normally, a copy in this situation will do a few of the following, work as designed, not work at all or work with read retries.

Most lasers have a MTBF of over 150,000 hours, if we assume that a low reflective disk would work, but cause 25% retries over the entire life of the laser, thats a reduction of 4 years continual use. That still leaves you with 12 years use, 247.

Considering the long MTBF, there must be a lot of quality issues involved in the build, rather than damage by Media, ie my daughters xbox360, was repaired by MS just over a year ago, and has failed again, the fault? the laser no longer reads correctly, and this has never seen a copy cd.

Just saying that there are many reasons for a laser failure, but I do not feel a copy cd is one of them

Last edited:

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
.... That still leaves you with 12 years use, 247.
Who's 247? I missed his post. :D

Malcolm, Alfie, step away from the keyboard! Too many rows this time of year. Agree to disagree, don't end up like this chap.

wrong.jpg

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom