C250 Windows Fogging

RSL

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a brand new 2009 C250 cdi sport, I'm experiencing some serious problems with the windows fogging up, I can park the car go inside for 20 minutes and on my return the windows are completely fogged up..

Mercedes say that this is normal and nothing can be done.

Does this happen to anyone else's car?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks

RSL:(

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi,

I have just bought a brand new 2009 C250 cdi sport, I'm experiencing some serious problems with the windows fogging up, I can park the car go inside for 20 minutes and on my return the windows are completely fogged up..

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks

RSL:(

Hello RSL and welcome to the Forum.

Super choice of car - what a lucky person you are.

But it is not normal. Indeed, as a well insulated car, on the mornings when other cars are covered in condensation, yours should be the least affected.

Fogging up from the inside must mean too much water in the car - and that evaporates to fog the windows. Check that the ventilation system is working, and look for any excessive dampness - carpets?

This is not normal. There has to be a simple explanation and it must be curable.

Has anyone else experienced this?

OP
R

RSL

Reaction score
Thanks Alex,

I've already had the car back to the dealer who informs me that everything is fine and the fogging is normal...

I hope I can find a resolution as I can't wait 5 minutes before I drive off everytime!!

And to add insult to injury, whenever I park in a car park mine is the only car to fog!!!

RSL

Manofkent

Reaction score
Website
www.antiques-safari.co.uk
I remember years ago I had the same prob with my 68' 250TD.
It turned out to be water leaking into the passenger side of the car.
I would think there must be some dampness someplace!
J
04 C270cdi Est

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Turn your climate control off .......... run the car for a few minutes, on a warm setting with a window slightly open .......... and you should have cleared the problem !

In this weather, the most air locked in the system, needs someting cold to cling onto .. hence the fogging up ............. turn the climate control back on in the spring ! ..... but let it have a whizz once a month to keep it fresh and effiecient.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Actually with the air con on,,this should clear the screen the quickest

Could it be that the air intake box drains are clogged up and water in the box,,I have sent out some 50 instructions in this last week for this problem

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Turn your climate control off .......... run the car for a few minutes, on a warm setting with a window slightly open .......... and you should have cleared the problem !

In this weather, the most air locked in the system, needs something cold to cling onto .. hence the fogging up ............. turn the climate control back on in the spring ! ..... but let it have a whizz once a month to keep it fresh and efficient.

Quaint theory - but total b*ll*cks.

Climate control includes air conditioning, which delivers dry air and is just what you want to prevent condensation.

Condensation has to be due to moisture (water vapour) on the inside of the car coming in contact with a cold window. It will happen if the inside of the car is wet, or if warm passengers get into a cold car, or if passengers with wet outer clothes get into a car in cold weather.

I run my CC all the year round. It uses little fuel (only activates when the sensors tell it to) and is so subtle that you never notice it. And I never have foggy windows.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Aircon is indeed the quickest way to clear the screen ....... but on a short journey, can collect a lot of moisture, out of the car, and not dump it quick enough ..... hence the fogging up issue ........... seen it on many cars, not just MB .............. even saw it Saturday night, on a mate old Mondeo .............. we have a lot of damp air around at the moment, and this time of year is favorite for it to happen

Turn the A/C off, as decribed above !! ... and turn the recirculation button off, if you hav'nt already done so ..........

merc7

Reaction score
yes i have experienced the same thing on my c180 /09 plate & another car i had the use off 59 plate exactly the same!!:D

LSD

Reaction score
Is there an "Off" setting on the heating/climate controls of the C250? If there is, select it just before stopping and parking - there may be condensation due to moisture uptake from the open climate system when parked, and with a well sealed vehicle (sealed to outside) there is nowhere for this to go, made worse with the Winter temperature differentials.

If no Off setting, then select output to fascia vents before switching off, then manually close the vents. If the problem is lessened this way, there's a possible air con. problem. If not, then for some reason there must be excess moisture in the interior as alluded to by Mr. Grieve - maybe a water leak into the interior.

A malfunctioning drier in the air con./climate system could mean excessively damp air being carried into the car. Try running the car with the air con. switched off, see if things improve.

Moisture is the cause and it's coming from somewhere.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Hi,

My facelift W203 does exactly the same.

mjg1066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C220 CDi
It's happened to my 2009 C180 Estate twice, both times after the already warm car had been restarted just to move into the drive and then switched off again. Within 20 mins I noticed that all the windows had a very fine condensation layer on the inside. However, it had all gone by the morning!!
My guess is that the brief restart drove moisture into the car and didn't allow it time to dissipate. It hasn't done it since, even with the recent rain we've been having!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should all clear out your drains in the front intake box

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Some novel ideas here. First thing - the a/c or c/c must be set to on which will dry the air. Sure, crank up the heater, even open a window if you feel like it, but all that will do is vapourise the moisture, which, soon as you switch off, will condense on the coldest place, ie the windows. The only way to dry is via a/c.

There can be no doubt you have moisture in the car. Depending what you mean by "brand new" - if really that, then throw it back at the dealer to fix. As to them saying it's "normal" - crap. Go to the dealer at 9.30am & ask to see the cars the sales staff are driving & see how many of them have the "normal" misting.

As Malcolm has said, check the drains - although it might even be (say) two weeks since it was registered, it will probably have been sitting in a field somewhere for a the best part of a year while the economy plummeted and then started to recover from this inept bunch of goons we are stuck with as a "government".

You will get it sorted but you do need to find out where the moisture is coming in or this will go on and on.

Illegitimi non carborundum !!

;)

merc7

Reaction score
Some novel ideas here. First thing - the a/c or c/c must be set to on which will dry the air. Sure, crank up the heater, even open a window if you feel like it, but all that will do is vapourise the moisture, which, soon as you switch off, will condense on the coldest place, ie the windows. The only way to dry is via a/c.

There can be no doubt you have moisture in the car. Depending what you mean by "brand new" - if really that, then throw it back at the dealer to fix. As to them saying it's "normal" - crap. Go to the dealer at 9.30am & ask to see the cars the sales staff are driving & see how many of them have the "normal" misting.

As Malcolm has said, check the drains - although it might even be (say) two weeks since it was registered, it will probably have been sitting in a field somewhere for a the best part of a year while the economy plummeted and then started to recover from this inept bunch of goons we are stuck with as a "government".

You will get it sorted but you do need to find out where the moisture is coming in or this will go on and on.

Illegitimi non carborundum !!

;)

i had a courtesy car 2k on clock, 59 plate same as mine , misting too??!!interesting what you say about cars sitting for a year ,i was inquiring about a car on national offer they ran -out i tried 3 different dealers ,the answer i got is a quota mb release not like a run of the mill mass produced car please do not shoot the messenger that was i was told!!!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
please do not shoot the messenger that was i was told!!!

I never shoot messengers, but equally, I never trust car salesmen!

Q. What's the difference between a car saleman and a double glazing salesman?
A. The double glazing salesman knows when he's lying

;););)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I never shoot messengers, but equally, I never trust car salesmen!

Q. What's the difference between a car saleman and a double glazing salesman?
A. The double glazing salesman knows when he's lying

;););)

But they both have to speak to their boss to get a better price only valid for 10 mins

Top Bottom