Key fob doesn't always work

olimango

Reaction score
Hi

I drive an SL55 AMG and from time to time when attempting to open the car, the key fob doesn't work.

Is there a battery I can replace or is this going to be a 'take it in' situation?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be batteries in the remote when it does not work, hold the key in front of a digital camera where you can press a button and see the beam

Do you have a spare key,,I have fixed 5 keys this week for members as they cost some £200 each

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I forgot the picture

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 204

benz1

Reaction score
It could be batteries in the remote when it does not work, hold the key in front of a digital camera where you can press a button and see the beam

Do you have a spare key,,I have fixed 5 keys this week for members as they cost some £200 each

Hi Malcolm,

Can I add myself to this list of members? As of this morning, my key opens and locks the doors, but it does not work in the ignition -I don't get the 'click' sound and the barrel doesn't turn.

The spare key works and starts the car fine.

The car is a MY04 W211 E320cdi

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm,

Can I add myself to this list of members? As of this morning, my key opens and locks the doors, but it does not work in the ignition -I don't get the 'click' sound and the barrel doesn't turn.

The spare key works and starts the car fine.

The car is a MY04 W211 E320cdi

Thanks.

Indeed you can, and that is fine. My little hold up is making the coils to replace the ones that fall off, and I should be ready soon

benz1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I had been out watching fireworks...

Just curious to know -why would it open and lock the doors and not the ignition?

I'll send you a PM with my email address for contact details when you are ready.

Thanks once again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I have the details :D

benz1

Reaction score
This is Really Odd...

Hello people,

In an earlier post I said my main key opened and locked the doors but did not 'unlock' and start the ignition but the spare key did.
NOW, the spare key does not open the doors anymore - it only starts the ignition.

As of this morning I have to go out with both keys; one to open the doors and one to start the ignition!

What's going on???

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello people,

In an earlier post I said my main key opened and locked the doors but did not 'unlock' and start the ignition but the spare key did.
NOW, the spare key does not open the doors anymore - it only starts the ignition.

As of this morning I have to go out with both keys; one to open the doors and one to start the ignition!

What's going on???

Right the one that unlocks the car but will not start it will probably have a broken coil inside.

The one the works the ignition will have a internal battery not working,or poor contact.

when this one is working and the batteries are OK you should see the IR beam in the digital camera

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 55

benz1

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for replying. I can see the infrared beam on both remote keys via my camera.

I'll try changing the batteries anyway and see what happens...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for replying. I can see the infrared beam on both remote keys via my camera.

I'll try changing the batteries anyway and see what happens...

Then the one that does not do the central locking needs re syncing, put the key in the ignition and press any button on the remote within 10sec

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Then the one that does not do the central locking needs re syncing, put the key in the ignition and press any button on the remote within 10sec

or try pointing it at the driver's door handle, could be an RF problem.

benz1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Malcolm, I have an old (working) key fob belonging to a W202 C class. Do you think any parts from that would be useful to help fix my W211 key?

It gets stranger - Over the weekend, I noticed that after a long drive with the 'spare' key in the ignition, it started opening the doors OK and has been fine since.

The 'main' key still has original fault though i.e. opens doors but not ignition.

Please send me postal details as per PM if you think you can help.

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply Malcolm, I have an old (working) key fob belonging to a W202 C class. Do you think any parts from that would be useful to help fix my W211 key?

It gets stranger - Over the weekend, I noticed that after a long drive with the 'spare' key in the ignition, it started opening the doors OK and has been fine since.

The 'main' key still has original fault though i.e. opens doors but not ignition.

Please send me postal details as per PM if you think you can help.

Thanks.

I have answered your PM.
Please send all that you have.

AMG99R

Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I have a problem with my remote as well.

I drive a C36 AMG 1996 and a few weeks ago the red and green lights started flashing in the rear view mirror. I replaced the batteries and it worked fine for about 2 weeks then started flashing red and green again. I bought another set of new batteries and the remote worked fine again for another week. This time the rear view mirror didn't respond at all to the remote so I went in through the passenger door and tried to start the car. The car wouldn't start as the immobiliser had kicked in. So I bought another set of batteries for the remote and resynchronised the remote and it worked for a few days but then today the red and green lights started flashing again!

This is my third set of batteries in 1 month. Is my remote broken?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here. I have a problem with my remote as well.

I drive a C36 AMG 1996 and a few weeks ago the red and green lights started flashing in the rear view mirror. I replaced the batteries and it worked fine for about 2 weeks then started flashing red and green again. I bought another set of new batteries and the remote worked fine again for another week. This time the rear view mirror didn't respond at all to the remote so I went in through the passenger door and tried to start the car. The car wouldn't start as the immobiliser had kicked in. So I bought another set of batteries for the remote and resynchronised the remote and it worked for a few days but then today the red and green lights started flashing again!

This is my third set of batteries in 1 month. Is my remote broken?

Where are you buying the batteries from

AMG99R

Reaction score
The first set was from the post office, the next set was from Woolworths (which is like Sainsburys) and the last set was from a digital printing photo store. They are all Energiser batteries. By the way I put in another set of batteries last night and resynchronised the remote and it is working normally again but am afraid that in a few days it will start flasling red and green again!

giddyme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c2200 sport
my key fob plays up too

I have had to replace my batteries twice already! considering I have only had the car for 5 weeks!
I thought there was something wrong with the unit and took the car to my local mercedes dealers, they replaced the batteries in the fob and it is running fine again now.
Is this a common thing with the units.

G

Gusmagoo

Another member jumping in here! I have a faulty key fob (fortunately my spare) that works in the ignition and therefor will start the car and allow you to drive, but the red light doesn't light up on pressing either button so the locks and alarm can not be operated. (Brand new batteries tried and makes no difference). Two working keys would be better for me as my partner sometimes comes for the car when i'm out, and I prefer to always have my keys with me... Mine is a W203 estate, so the 2 button key with slide out emergency key.
I was considering buying a similar fob on eBay and trying to make one good fob out of two, think i'm probably wasting my time though, any thoughts anyone? anything to avoid the £220 the stealer want's for a new one! Any suggestions as to the fault here? I know how to get the key to pieces...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom