Speedo

jam-mb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes c180 esprit
Hi

my speedo doesnt work at all... is this a common problem

the car in question is a 1994 C180 esprit. any ideas on what it could be what too replace fix etc...

any help would be great

thankyou

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
could be a faulty speed sensor on the gearbox (i beleive theyre electronic) or wiring or the speedo head. not really a common issue, no. not too sure how to check it out but id guess removing the clock cluster would be a start and disconnect the speedo drive to see if its electronic. if its not, it could just be a broken cable. did the needle operate smoothly before it stopped working (when accellerating etc)?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
From 1990 roughly they are all electronic,,I will try and look it up later in the day

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
i have seen an early c-class with faulty speedo. s/h item fixed it.

speed signal from abs n/s/f wheel speed i believe.

Matt K

Reaction score
My car's instrument panel is intermittent, when it doesn't work the temp gauge shivers and makes a clicking sound, is this the lead gauge i.e is it causing the other dials not to work?
Car is a 1997 C 250 TD

Matt K

Reaction score
I think my temp gauge is faulty, i've had the instrument panel in pieces and there is no needle for it to rest on the gauge appear to be all electronic and the temp gauge motor seems to have a mind of it's own. :(

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Matt, is this the coolant temperature gauge that shares the same clock as the fuel gauge or are you talking about the outside temperature gauge.

Do all the other gauges work, all of the time.

Dec

Matt K

Reaction score
Sorry Dec, it's the coolamnt temp gauge and fual gauge etc, however the outside temp doesnt read at all.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
I think my temp gauge is faulty, i've had the instrument panel in pieces and there is no needle for it to rest on the gauge appear to be all electronic and the temp gauge motor seems to have a mind of it's own. :(

That’s just the one clock, are the stop pins missing?
If the clock is damaged, you could replace it with another from a scrapyard.
3 screws, Green arrows to remove and unplug, pulls straight up.
What year is your car? You may not have an outside temperature gauge fitted, see picture.

Dec
Edit, Don’t apply any force when working on the PCB board, either to the mileage clock or the time clock as the can be easily damaged.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Matt K

Reaction score
That’s just the one clock, are the stop pins missing?
If the clock is damaged, you could replace it with another from a scrapyard.
3 screws, Green arrows to remove and unplug, pulls straight up.
What year is your car? You may not have an outside temperature gauge fitted, see picture.

Dec
Edit, Don’t apply any force when working on the PCB board, either to the mileage clock or the time clock as the can be easily damaged.

attachment.php

Hi Dec, the car is a 97 and has 2 x plugs going into the back of the PCB, the gauges are intermittent, do you think the motor is damaged or that it is a bad earth?

cheers
Matt

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
There is a sensor in the front of the engine under a removable plastic shield with the Mercedes star logo on it, this sensor is where the temperature gauge gets its reading, worth having a look at that, yours is a later car than mine so am not quite sure if that is correct in your case.

The fuel gauge could be a separate issue at the petrol tank sender. Or both are related to a faulty connection at the PCB or its connection plugs but don’t know too much about all that.

Dec

Matt K

Reaction score
There is a sensor in the front of the engine under a removable plastic shield with the Mercedes star logo on it, this sensor is where the temperature gauge gets its reading, worth having a look at that, yours is a later car than mine so am not quite sure if that is correct in your case.

The fuel gauge could be a separate issue at the petrol tank sender. Or both are related to a faulty connection at the PCB or its connection plugs but don’t know too much about all that.

Dec

I am going to run the voltmeter over the pin outs on the plug connectors and then try a seperate set of clocks, the clocks in my car do not have any stop pins

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Your clocks must be later than the clocks pictured so it may well be the case that the aren’t supposed to be stop pins on any of the clocks.

Dec

Top Bottom