Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
One of my issues with Mobilo is the cover for tyre incidents is very unclear. Other posters have reported being told they aren't covered. .

It is clear if you look at the T's and C's which I have summarised in this thread: -
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=45278

Cover depends on the date of first registration as Mobilo has altered over the years (for the better IMO). And also on the age of the car. For most there is more cover in the first 3 years than later on.

Cars registered since April 2008 have the best cover.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
..until MB change it again.

That is the joy of using the RAC for me,I know where I stand, very good cover for £38 per year

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Let’s be clear and fair about breakdown cover. The cheapest cover only covers roadside assistance. They don’t tow you to a garage if they cannot fix it.

Pay more and they will tow you. Some have a 10 mile limit and some won’t let you choose to be towed to a main dealer. I prefer to have MB trained mechanics fixing my car and want that choice.

But what if the car cannot be fixed instantly? Will they get you to your destination? Provide a hire car so you can continue your journey? Hotels if needed?

To compare like with like you need full cover and not just for one driver as Mobilo covers all drivers. Full AA cover for me and my wife costs about £150 less occasional discounts and promotions.

And that still doesn’t cover us for any trips abroad. Cover for a year for occasional trips to France etc, costs another £100. So getting free breakdown cover of a comprehensive kind as I do with dealer servicing turns out to be very economic.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well my RAC cover will get me home and the car to the garage of my choice

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Well my RAC cover will get me home and the car to the garage of my choice

Love to see a link to any website giving details of the cover because when I look on their site full cover anywhere near comparable to Mobilo is very expensive indeed.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
This is what RAC website says: -

Cheap cover £43
We'll fix your vehicle at the roadside, as long as you're over ¼ mile away from home. In the unlikely event we can't fix your vehicle we'll tow you to an approved garage within 10 miles.
Cover if broken down at home is extra
We'll come and help if your vehicle won't start when you're at home or if you break down within ¼ of a mile of your house.
Recovery is also extra
Choosing Recovery extends your cover to include:
• If we can't repair your vehicle locally within a reasonable time, we'll take your vehicle and up to 7 people to your home or a single address in United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.
• We'll provide transport as above if you're taken ill and cannot continue your journey if you have no passengers who can drive the vehicle.
TOTAL COST NOW IS £149-50p less online discount today of £41-12p

EUROPEAN cover is extra and you must buy personal cover as well to get it.

Let’s be fair and compare like with like.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Let’s be clear and fair about breakdown cover. The cheapest cover only covers roadside assistance. They don’t tow you to a garage if they cannot fix it. Mine does

Pay more and they will tow you. Some have a 10 mile limit and some won’t let you choose to be towed to a main dealer. I prefer to have MB trained mechanics fixing my car and want that choice.

But what if the car cannot be fixed instantly? Will they get you to your destination? Yes Provide a hire car so you can continue your journey?Yes Hotels if needed?Yes

To compare like with like you need full cover and not just for one driver as Mobilo covers all drivers. As does mineFull AA cover for me and my wife costs about £150 less occasional discounts and promotions.

And that still doesn’t cover us for any trips abroad. Cover for a year for occasional trips to France etc, costs another £100. So getting free breakdown cover of a comprehensive kind as I do with dealer servicing turns out to be very economic.
It is not free, the costs are built in through the overall service cost structure

I would add that I tow so my cover is such that I can choose to continue with my trip they then take the car to a garage of my choice or go home.

I have used the service three times in the last 15 years - hastily adding not with the Merc though and I have had response within 20/30 mins once fixed at roadside the second the 'van and car taken to the site then the car dropped off at the (Saab) garage third time not a car issue.

As in all situations shopping around, reading the small print and choosing what suits your personal requirements is essential. My only personal experience with the MB service was during the first three months of ownership and yes it worked but of course I did not pay directly for the service other than in the initial price of the (2nd hand) car. I decided not to continue with it as it did not meet all of my needs - towing a 'van etc.

I guess you pays your money etc and I have been more than satisfied with my 'supplier' except as with all 'insurance' it hurts to pay out for something you hope you will never need:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry I am paying £47 now and that is with a 50% discount and that includes recovery for 7 people and my car to my destination

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Sorry I am paying £47 now and that is with a 50% discount and that includes recovery for 7 people and my car to my destination

Yes, as usual hawk20's figures are ridiculous. No one in their right mind would pay £150 for AA cover. The very basic cover is available for about £12. Many people get it free with bank accounts etc.

The problem with Mobilo breakdown cover is that it's basically a mechanical breakdown cover only. It has some other added features but their scope varies. That's not unusual with car manufacturers - HondaCare was the same until recently but they've just moved to full AA cover (pan-European and free for 3 yrs and renewed free with each service afterwards).

MB's cover (and this may well suit hawk20 and others) is like a Mercedes accident management system - it's entirely designed to keep you within the dealer network so any money that you spend is with Mercedes and not with anyone else. If that's what you want, then that's fine. But because of that it does have coverage limitations - where MB doesn't see that it can money out of you.

Also Mobilo aren't known for great customer service or response times - several reports on here about that.

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Yes, as usual hawk20's figures are ridiculous. No one in their right mind would pay £150 for AA cover. The very basic cover is available for about £12. Many people get it free with bank accounts etc.

The problem with Mobilo breakdown cover is that it's basically a mechanical breakdown cover only. It has some other added features but their scope varies. That's not unusual with car manufacturers - HondaCare was the same until recently but they've just moved to full AA cover (pan-European and free for 3 yrs and renewed free with each service afterwards).

MB's cover (and this may well suit hawk20 and others) is like a Mercedes accident management system - it's entirely designed to keep you within the dealer network so any money that you spend is with Mercedes and not with anyone else. If that's what you want, then that's fine. But because of that it does have coverage limitations - where MB doesn't see that it can money out of you.

Also Mobilo aren't known for great customer service or response times - several reports on here about that.

Instead of your usual abuse, why not go to the AA and RAC websites and you will see their pricing structure is exactly -yes exactly as I described.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Instead of your usual abuse, why not go to the AA and RAC websites and you will see their pricing structure is exactly -yes exactly as I described.

I do not have to look at the RAC site,,I have all the details to hand, I have only ever used them once. The SAAB had a box fault in Herts,,the came and took the car to Exeter, dropped me of home in Lyme

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I do not have to look at the RAC site,,I have all the details to hand, I have only ever used them once. The SAAB had a box fault in Herts,,the came and took the car to Exeter, dropped me of home in Lyme

You do not say how long ago that was. Might be worth checking the T's and C's today as they are exactly as I quoted directly from their website.

Few people seem to realise how limited is the cover on the cheaper versions of AA and RAC policies. Really worth checking.

And full cover is pretty expensive -even with the discounts they offer.

And Euro cover is yet more -which I need as we go on a motoring hoilday almost every year in Europe.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You do not say how long ago that was. Might be worth checking the T's and C's today as they are exactly as I quoted directly from their website.

Few people seem to realise how limited is the cover on the cheaper versions of AA and RAC policies. Really worth checking.

And full cover is pretty expensive -even with the discounts they offer.

And Euro cover is yet more -which I need as we go on a motoring hoilday almost every year in Europe.

My card is printed Roadside + Recovery

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

Why do you always play the 'abuse' card when others disagree with your view, there is nothing in Rory's post that could be misconstrued as 'abuse'

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why do you always play the 'abuse' card when others disagree with your view, there is nothing in Rory's post that could be misconstrued as 'abuse'

I got the same on many post, and no answer to what I asked at all.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I see that "normal service has been resumed" in this debate.

It seems that my earlier comment has been prophetic. I can't be bothered to count the number of posts here intoning the benefits of Mobilo. For those of us who have found it unresponsive when we qualified for its use, and needed it, no amount of propaganda to the contrary will make us believe that the costs of dealer servicing, undertaken in order to ensure continuous access to Mobilo, represents any sort of a benefit.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
For those of us who have found it unresponsive when we qualified for its use, and needed it, no amount of propaganda to the contrary will make us believe that the costs of dealer servicing, undertaken in order to ensure continuous access to Mobilo, represents any sort of a benefit.

It benefits Mercedes though!

Russ

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
This is what RAC website says: -

Cheap cover £43
We'll fix your vehicle at the roadside, as long as you're over ¼ mile away from home. In the unlikely event we can't fix your vehicle we'll tow you to an approved garage within 10 miles.
Cover if broken down at home is extra
We'll come and help if your vehicle won't start when you're at home or if you break down within ¼ of a mile of your house.
Recovery is also extra
Choosing Recovery extends your cover to include:
• If we can't repair your vehicle locally within a reasonable time, we'll take your vehicle and up to 7 people to your home or a single address in United Kingdom, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.
• We'll provide transport as above if you're taken ill and cannot continue your journey if you have no passengers who can drive the vehicle.
TOTAL COST NOW IS £149-50p less online discount today of £41-12p

EUROPEAN cover is extra and you must buy personal cover as well to get it.

Rory says these figures are ridiculous. Perhaps someone should tell the RAC as they come direct from their website today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom