S204 C220Cdi Engine Management Faults

srdennis03

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: 59 Plate S204 C220CDi SE Estate, Iridium Silver, Parktronic, Auto gearbox
Hi,

As a new Mercedes owner, this is my first post on this forum.

Unfortunately, it is with a problem.

Just five weeks, and less than 2,500 miles, into owning my C220CDi SE Estate, it managed to break down on me!!

Pulled into Heston Services, M4 east bound, for a coffee. 10 minutes later the car was struggling to start, with a whole Christmas tree of warning lights on the display.

I managed to get the car to start - but the engine management light stayed on. 30 seconds later, it died again - and wouldn't even turn over.

The end of a long story, saw the car on the back of a breakdown truck and my wife and I waiting for a taxi!! It would appear that Sunday Evening is NOT the time to call out Mercedes Mobilo Breakdown Services.

Has anyone else come across this problem? The breakdown recovery service indicated that they are collecting C220CDi BlueEfficiency vehicles at the rate of 2 - 3 a day.

This is NOT what I expected from owning a Mercedes!!

Any help / comments would be appreciated

Thanks.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Common fault i am sorry to say!!!

Welcome to the forums!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome to the forum,,sorry that you are having problems..it will get sorted out, I know that it can be inconvenient, but these things do happen

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Is this another case of the dodgy injector issue? MB are having nightmares with injectors for that engine afaik. They've allegedly stopped production to free up enough for repairs.

shaf86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi sport
i have had exact same problem on my 59 c220cdi blue efiicience, it has broken down on me twice now. !st time due to a problem with the fuel systym and just last night the engine management light and no power. I think the breakdown customer service is awful was on hold for 30mins. Also they have given me a vauxhall corsa whilst they fix my car, i think i should be getting atleast a like for like.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
i have had exact same problem on my 59 c220cdi blue efiicience, it has broken down on me twice now. !st time due to a problem with the fuel systym and just last night the engine management light and no power. I think the breakdown customer service is awful was on hold for 30mins. Also they have given me a vauxhall corsa whilst they fix my car, i think i should be getting atleast a like for like.

Odd. I called Mobilio - they were great and applogised for not having an E class available but rented me one of the bigger vauxhalls instead. A corsa is fine if you're just tooling around locally for a day or so but if, like me, you're on the motorways, or it drags on, I'd refuse it as unsuitable and make them lend or hire you something bigger. They lent my Dad a corsa and when they told him it would be at least a week and maybe 2 he insisted on an upgrade.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Welcome to the forum,,so you are another with injector problems,,this could take some time to sort out

shaf86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi sport
ok after a few phone calls ive managed to swap the corsa for a 59 plate vw passsat which im quite happy with, according to enterprise, thier have been that many merc breakdowns in the last few weeks that they are short on merc courtasys

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok after a few phone calls ive managed to swap the corsa for a 59 plate vw passsat which im quite happy with, according to enterprise, thier have been that many merc breakdowns in the last few weeks that they are short on merc courtasys

Pleased that you are happy and you are not putting any miles on your car or wearing anything out

OP
S

srdennis03

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: 59 Plate S204 C220CDi SE Estate, Iridium Silver, Parktronic, Auto gearbox
All Sorted Now

Thanks for all the welcomes and advice.

Mercedes managed to get the car sorted in double quick time. Apparently it was due to a software fault with the engine management system.

The EMS was misreading the level of fuel left in the tank and once it dropped below a 1/4 full decided that the tank was empty and shut the fuel pump down. Not while it was running I hasten to add!!

A simple software update and all is well.

This seems to be the subject of a Service Measure (P142) notice.

All is well and the car is living up to, and exceeding, expectations.

Merry Christmas, one and all!

Top Bottom