Winter Tyres - 2008 E320 Sport

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just purchased a new (second-hand) E320 CDi Sport '08 plate. As the weather is shockingly bad at the moment, I've not had a chance to run it since it was delivered this week.

I'm looking to invest in a set of new alloys and winter tyres. However, I've been unable to get a straight answer out of the dealer as to what Mercedes recommend. So, I intend to replace the standard 18" alloys and summer tyres with 16" alloys fitted with Conti WinterContact TS 830 tyres (215/55 R16 93H).

Can anyone offer any advice if this is a good option, or if I should be looking at another option? Also, if you can make a suggestion as to what I should be looking for in winter tyres, what should I go for, why, and what tyre pressures should I be running?

Any help is most welcome.

Kind regards,
Mike.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

Pressure should be as per the fuel filler cap, as long as the overall diameter is the same as the standard setup then you won't have any issues. In your handbook there should be details of winter tyres and their sizes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You could buy a cheap set of wheels from Ebay or use what you have and get some new ones for the summer I keep my spare wheels on the wall of the garage where they take up no room

DSC00270.jpg

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
You may not have a great deal of choice as to makes, been keeping an eye on a few of my usual online tyre suppliers and the choice in my own size is dwindling or showing as no stock and prices have taken an upward turn.

I use Vredestein and Nokian Winters both competent, but have read good reports on most of the major brands versions too...i'd be inclined to avoid the Chinese ditchfinder models.

As you'll be finding out they're not cheap.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You may not have a great deal of choice as to makes, been keeping an eye on a few of my usual online tyre suppliers and the choice in my own size is dwindling or showing as no stock and prices have taken an upward turn.

I use Vredestein and Nokian Winters both competent, but have read good reports on most of the major brands versions too...i'd be inclined to avoid the Chinese ditchfinder models.

As you'll be finding out they're not cheap.

But you should get a few Winters out of them, and you will not be using the summer wheels

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
But you should get a few Winters out of them, and you will not be using the summer wheels

Quite right Malcolm, it's an expensive investment but if the car is to be kept for several years the cost is reduced.
And it does have the benefit of keeping the pristine summer alloys pristine.

I wouldn't spend out on new alloys for the winter tyres though, they'll be out in all the salt and soon look ropey, a used set for a 150 nicker is plenty imo.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quite right Malcolm, it's an expensive investment but if the car is to be kept for several years the cost is reduced.
And it does have the benefit of keeping the pristine summer alloys pristine.

I wouldn't spend out on new alloys for the winter tyres though, they'll be out in all the salt and soon look ropey, a used set for a 150 nicker is plenty imo.

Exactly my thoughts

Mirak

Reaction score
18 months ago a friend made me buy his big silly wheels (255 x 17) with new tyres. (My standard tyres were bald) They only just fit on the E220, but, they made it look really good.
Come winter it slid all over the road. I decided they were too wide and went to ATS to see about a set of winter tyres for on the old (narrow) rims.
The guy there looked at me blank and said "There is no such thing, all tyres are for all year round."
I would have stuck with that - except - a friend was over from Calgary (Canada) and he told me that every year, as soon as the first snow comes, he changes to his winter set. On the winter tyres, he continues to drive on snow - like nothing was on the road.

Is it that in England, we have so little snow, they do not stock the tyres ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
18 months ago a friend made me buy his big silly wheels (255 x 17) with new tyres. (My standard tyres were bald) They only just fit on the E220, but, they made it look really good.
Come winter it slid all over the road. I decided they were too wide and went to ATS to see about a set of winter tyres for on the old (narrow) rims.
The guy there looked at me blank and said "There is no such thing, all tyres are for all year round."
I would have stuck with that - except - a friend was over from Calgary (Canada) and he told me that every year, as soon as the first snow comes, he changes to his winter set. On the winter tyres, he continues to drive on snow - like nothing was on the road.

Is it that in England, we have so little snow, they do not stock the tyres ?
You need to go to a different tyre dealer, if they are so inept as to not know about winter tyres I wouldn't let them put air in my tyres let alone fit any.

OP
M

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Conti Update

Thanks all for the advice. I've got plenty of spare room in the garage for an extra set of wheels, so I'm sure this investment will last a few winters... even if they continue to be like this one.

Conti do an M0 class tyre (i.e. recommended for Mercedes) of type 225/55 R16 95H (with raised rim rib). I've also calculated the rolling distance for this 'winter' wheel compared to the standard wheel to be within 0.1%. Therefore, the speedo and distance clock should not be a problem.

All I need to do is shop around for a set of 16" alloys that will accept the 225 tyre width.

Cheers all!

:D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MO tyres just mean MB approved just do a google search M & S tyres are winter tyres there are loads out there

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
MO tyres just mean MB approved just do a google search M & S tyres are winter tyres there are loads out there

Should also have the ''snowflake'' symbol stamped on the sidewall, some 4x4 tyres rated as M&S don't have the snowflake and are not winter compound, don't know for sure about car tyres but i would think the same applies.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Should also have the ''snowflake'' symbol stamped on the sidewall, some 4x4 tyres rated as M&S don't have the snowflake and are not winter compound, don't know for sure about car tyres but i would think the same applies.

Thank you for that nice to know that there is a difference :D:D

Mirak

Reaction score
Winter Tyres

After reading a few reports, it seems that a winter tyre IS in order below 7 degrees.

After a morning on the phone I found 4 Vredestein Wintrac Extreme.
225 55 16, which will leave me with 255 45 17 for the summer.

I cannot vouch for their abilities yet as the snow has all been cleared.

We will see !

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
You guys changing wheels tread carefully with wheel nuts as if you use some that are too long for the wheels you can trash your drum handbrake mechanisms. This particularly applies if you switch to steel wheels for winter use ;)

O

oldsoldier

Winter Tyres - 2008 E320 Sort

I bought my E220Cdi in November 2008. It had summer Continentals all round. I live on a hillside that is last to be salted and gritted so I had Avon winter tyres fitted to the rear wheels in December 2008 and used them till March 2009 when I put the Continentals back. Distance travelled less than 2000 miles. A week before Xmas 2009 put the Avons on the rear wheels again and because the rear Continentals were worn I ordered two new ones for March 2010. Went into town 23rd December. Drove home and felt bump, bump, bump. A flat rear offside Avon, completely ruined. Limped to nearby tyre depot where the spare was fitted. Drove slowly three miles to where I had bought the Avon. Dealer was ready to close but phoned all suppliers. All winter tyres sold out three weeks ago. Avon factory closed for Xmas and New Year. Ordered one and I will get it 'sometime' in January. Dealer had no summer Continentals. Ordered one and it was fitted yesterday. Cost £133.88The new Avon winter tyre will be about the same, perhaps more. I need another summer Continental in March - at the new vat rate. Xmas was spent at home because I didn't dare go anywhere on the spare tyre and run the risk of another flat. Close examination of the damaged Avon revealed no cause for it to deflate. Think it was a faulty valve. Buying a pair of winter tyres is a good policy. Cheapish to fit to both rear wheels - £18 for on and the same for off. If mileage is light, they will last the life of the car. I'm not sure how much a summer Continental would be if I bought it from an internet tyre source. Certainly not more than a high street dealer so it might pay anyone who is thinking of buying winter tyres to get them via the internet and pay a high street dealer to fit them. oldsoldier

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
After reading a few reports, it seems that a winter tyre IS in order below 7 degrees.

After a morning on the phone I found 4 Vredestein Wintrac Extreme.
225 55 16, which will leave me with 255 45 17 for the summer.

I cannot vouch for their abilities yet as the snow has all been cleared.

We will see !

If you've managed to find these at affordable prices then i'd do the lottery this week without fail if i were you.
I run them on a Hilux and i cannot fault them, wet cold weather handling is superb, they clear standing water like it's not there and snow grip is brilliant, the truck is usually very skittish at the back as you'd expect, not with these on it isn't.
Wearing well, on their 3rd winter and still have 7+mm tread.

I'd have put them on the car too, but in very short supply my size and outlandish prices, so i bought Nokians instead which seem to be as good to be fair.

syncropaddy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
.... too many cars!
Conti WinterContact TS 830 tyres are very good indeed. Go as narrow as you can and store them properly when not in use

Mirak

Reaction score
If you've managed to find these at affordable prices then i'd do the lottery this week without fail if i were you.
I run them on a Hilux and i cannot fault them, wet cold weather handling is superb, they clear standing water like it's not there and snow grip is brilliant, the truck is usually very skittish at the back as you'd expect, not with these on it isn't.
Wearing well, on their 3rd winter and still have 7+mm tread.

I'd have put them on the car too, but in very short supply my size and outlandish prices, so i bought Nokians instead which seem to be as good to be fair.

I went on the Vredestein web site and wrote down the 3 nearest suppliers.
It was only the 3rd that had any. Turns out the proprietor had owned an E-class and bought them for that. 2 months ago he changed to an S-class, so ordered a different set for it. He has only just got his and said they were hard to find.

At -2 degrees on a wet road I am very pleased with them. The "magic yellow triangle" (traction control) has flashed far less than usual which is a good sign. The steering seems fractionally heavier than with summer Contis on.

I bought them because I wanted something that would give a semblance of grip in snow. After about 100 miles (and no snow) I am converted - I will always change to winter tyres from now on.

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Good man yourself Mirak, another tyres suitable for the job convert...now don't forget to do those numbers this week..;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom