Views upon ECU remapping and brabus chip

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
mercedes CLS 320CDI , landrover discovery 3.0 twin turbo and Ferrari F430 Scud
Im in the market to purchase a ML 350CDI 230 BHP is not a huge amount compared with the audi q7 or the bmw x6 so im in need of an upgrade !

Any thoughts ?

Im based in Bury St Edmunds east anglia ive done a little goggleing and found gcl tuning they appear to have been members of this forum and been banned ? Very odd when i was in talks with the sales manager a robinsons mercedes he reccomended i have a chat with gcl.

any advice or info welcome

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
GCL be aving a sale right now !! 20% 0ff accroding to their website

"Some say" .. by having a remap, you wake your engine, and let out the tiger within ........ whilst saving fuel along the way.

Other's argue, they are Snake Oils, and your drivetrain and gearbox will smash to smitherines, in a whole heap of fire and damnation

All we know, is he's the Stig. .... oops sorry !!

All we know is, they will up your BHP, and make you smile................. unless of course your one of the protaganist's who will say, you should'nt have it done, and drive another trader off the forum .......... :)

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
A remap WILL give you more power BUT it WILL stress other components such as injectors, pump, auto-trans, etc..

If you exploit the additional power at every opportunity then expect something to fail sooner rather than later.

Oh, and the extra mpg? If you want economy, drive a Prius :D

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Makes a good car very good ..tis the fools who abuse the power that cause the other components to fail... drive it properly and it will be a bonus..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Its not too bad on some cars,, a case in question is the 200cdi that uses the same components as the 220cdi, all other use a different torque converter/ gear box, so some thought needed on this before you go ahead

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
Brabus offer the Chip/Remap to up the power 40 BHP and 80 Torque so .... If gcl can produce a like for like programme i would be jumping at the chance as the mercedes dealer can have this done before i collect at a cost of £550 this is £690 cheaper than the brabus unit providing the same if not better results im told ?

I have also requested that my dealer allows me to be on site when this upgrade is carred out and so i have 100% confidence im going to test it before i buy.

I can more than understand im may be upping the power and stressing but if its under warranty its therefore not my problem surly ?

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
Update my son has just come of the phone from another local mercedes dealer in suffolk however thay cant offer the remap with warranty ? Is this normall ?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I doubt any MB dealer will give (or honnour) a warranty on a remapped/chipped car unless that chip is from Brabus and fitted by the dealership.

MB will only do this if the car complies with quite strict mileage criteria. The warranty drops to 60k max

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
No, sorry we may havr crossed our wires. The remapping company is taking the warranty. The dealer has stated if the remap has a direct effect upon the engine it will be to blame and the tuning warranty will then come into play...

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
There have been many threads regarding remap warranties and the minefield you could be stepping into.

Senario - the turbo goes bang. Who picks up the repair bills? MB almost certainly will say it was due to the remap. The remapper will say it's not, their map does not affect the turbo.

How do you sort it out??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
There have been many threads regarding remap warranties and the minefield you could be stepping into.

Senario - the turbo goes bang. Who picks up the repair bills? MB almost certainly will say it was due to the remap. The remapper will say it's not, their map does not affect the turbo.

How do you sort it out??

Get them to throw one in while fitting the new torque converter

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
I will attempt to get this in writting in this case. I will not be paying thats for sure.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I will attempt to get this in writting in this case. I will not be paying thats for sure.

Please post back when you get the warranty details, there are many here who would be very interested

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
yes im quite the "in two minds now man" at the miniute im going to find out in the morning.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Please post back when you get the warranty details, there are many here who would be very interested

I'm one of them!

AFAIK, you map or otherwise modify the output of your engine and the manufacturer's warranty is void. The warranty offered by the tuner is carefully worded (like most insurance documents) and in no way replaces the original one. At least not those which I've seen. I look forward to hearing your result, we may finally be getting one step nearer to an answer to a long standing debate here. :)

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
I will do my best sounds like im taking on some sort army by the sounds of things... From what i gather unless the remapping work has a direct or more than 50% at fault mercedes will not pay up, however if its not a direct result of the remap mercedes will have to pay up ! I will be looking to get some form of document from both partys (mercedes dealer & Remapping company)

Road Hog - Norfolk ? where are you based...

psmart

Reaction score
...I was a BP last night...

....filling up my beloved C-Class with its earth destroying carbon toxic blood needed in order for it to sustain life..... I chose BP Ultimate 98 and started to read the bumpf on the pump as the oily smell of tractor fluid washed serenily into the tank.

...this is what it said.....

More power -> 8.3%
More economy -> 6.7%
Some bumpf about how much cleaner it would make my tractor and preserve the world......

...Got me thinking..... if a remap offers upto 15% fuel saving and 20% power ....and costs 500 quid...... and could seriously damage my beloved car...... here I was filling up with advanced tractor fluid which, may only offer 50% of the improvements of a remap, but had all the other cons of a remap if it did indeed improve power! What about warranty.... the 8.3% could damage the gearbox, the drivetrain, the engine....... what would happen to Cindy when her turbo goes whizz bang pop and the gearbox flies out from under her..... who would pay..... I certainly saw no warranty on the pump......

Worth thinking about...... and if it does no vehicular damage and gives you all the extra economy....if you can live with an 8.3% boost..... may be the closure of Pandora's box is insight!

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
I will do my best sounds like im taking on some sort army by the sounds of things... From what i gather unless the remapping work has a direct or more than 50% at fault mercedes will not pay up, however if its not a direct result of the remap mercedes will have to pay up ! I will be looking to get some form of document from both partys (mercedes dealer & Remapping company)

Road Hog - Norfolk ? where are you based...

How many miles has the ML got on it? Does your wife want the extra go or is it just you? I would only consider getting the MB approved upgrade, but then for me the warranty mileage limit is a consideration. Remember, warranties are not there to protect the consumer ;)

OP
David-Butter

David-Butter

Reaction score
Website
www.sntuning.com
Your Mercedes
I can see your view, however the Brabus upgrade offers no more than the remapping upgrade therefore paying for brabus (Brand)....

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
I can see your view, however the Brabus upgrade offers no more than the remapping upgrade therefore paying for brabus (Brand)....

I agree, but also the peace of mind if something goes pop

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom