C Class vs E Class

oceanblue1

Reaction score
Been looking at second hand prices of C Class vs E class and have to say very surprised at the differences in price bearing in mind the E class started out costing alot more originally.

In fact, I saw a 09 C220 CDi SE for £21500. At a second dealer I saw a 09 E280 CDi Classic for £22000. Very similar mileage, equip and both auto.

I am assuming for the faster depreciation of the E class due to it being the old shape but still...

What are everyone's thoughts on the two different class in terms of usage, looks and ownership? I must admit the looks of the old circular headlights of the E Class is not as nice but the level of luxury is much higher and you are getting alot of car for the money.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Hi Ocean, In terms of service costs these are very similar, in terms of MPG figures the smaller engine will be more fuel efficent but not by as much as you would think, and overall the E class is a much nicer car, there is nothing wrong with the C Class but the extra room in the E Class is noticeable. In the end all down to personal preference. Test drive both, the E 280 CDi will blow your mind in terms of performance, rapid silky smooth and oh so quiet. All my own thoughts.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
This is a very common situation. I bought my first E class in 2001. I went into the dealer to buy the 'New C' as the 203 was then and saw a basic C and a much bigger, better specced E, side by side, at the same price. New model mercs always attract a premium so with the 204 only just established (but still fairly new on the used stage) and the new E just come out, it's depressed the prices of the 211 a bit.
In terms of difference, the E is bigger so harder to park and of course, being a bit bigger, will cost a fraction more to fuel and insure. Not by much though. On the other side, E's are better equipped as standard, have a better trim level (nicer materials etc) and a nicer ride than the C, plus of course, they are a lot more roomy. So in comprison, much better value.
You do need to drive both as they drive very differently but to me, as nice as the C is, the E is in a different class. The E280cdi is a fabulous engine too, dramatically more refined than the 220 lump. MPG will, of course, be less though.

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
I regret not buying the E. My 203 is an estate and the boot space is quite restricted compared to the 211 as is the leg room for rear seat passengers. I'm only 5'10" but if I have anyone in the seat behind me they always complain about leg room. I've driven both the E320CDI and 220CDI. Whilst the V6 is a super engine the uprated 220CDI would be my choice and has the benefit of the 5 speed auto gearbox.

BTW - I think the 211 (and the facelifted 203) has a more 'quality' feel about them compared to the 204.

Last edited:

Aletank

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Mercedes C180k Avantgarde SE Sport Auto
I regret not buying the E. My 203 is an estate and the boot space is quite restricted compared to the 211 as is the leg room for rear seat passengers. I'm only 5'10" but if have have anyone in the seat behind me they always complain about leg room. I've driven both the E320CDI and 220CDI. Whilst the V6 is a super engine the uprated 220CDI would be my choice and has the benefit of the 5 speed auto gearbox.
So would you prefer the boot of a E-Class Saloon over you C-Class Estate ?

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
E class everytime ! Mercedes never made decent small cars--the only really good C class are the AMG racing homogalated versions costing thousands -the standard road going c class leaves a lot to be desired.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
E class everytime ! Mercedes never made decent small cars--the only really good C class are the AMG racing homogalated versions costing thousands -the standard road going c class leaves a lot to be desired.

A bit harsh.

The new C class is very nice, but the 211 E class has a nice cabin, either are good cars but value for money wise the 211 is the better car. The 204 C will be sharper to drive, the E class more spacious, refined and comfy.

Depends what you want, I'd go for the E280 over a C220

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
So would you prefer the boot of a E-Class Saloon over you C-Class Estate ?

Definitely except we have a dog so it has to be an estate. The E is cavernous in comparison.

Jodel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde Auto
I had a similar choice to make when I bought my E220. The C class models I looked at were all more expensive than the W211. Given the choice of a C220 or E280, I'd go with the E class every time. If the C had a V6 motor, that would make it a much closer call.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
If you don't own a Trilby, and are under 50 ............ I'm afraid your not aloud to buy an E Class ........... it's the law !!! .. sorry ..... I don't make the rules !!!!

You dont want a big old bus anyway .............

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Present 2004 W211 E500, 1995 W124 E320 CE Coupe.
I've got an E280 estate and I have to say it's great. Roomy, comfortable and powerful. Just sold a W203 C220 CDI estate and I have to say they don't compare although the C was a great car with great economy but the E is not that much more thirsty. I would give the E my vote every time.

OP
O

oceanblue1

Reaction score
Its strange how market forces is depreciating the E class much more than the C.

For myself, I am worried about how huge it is. I already have enough trouble parking my old Volve estate in these tiny Birmingham car parks.

God knows how I will open the massive door once I parked a E class in these tiny bays.

Does the old shape of the E class not put anyone off?

You will still forgo a new shape W204 for the old shape E Class which is getting on a bit now.

iben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300TD estate
I must admit I like the new shaped front end on the Mercs but as a rule I dislike the design of the modern cars. I like the older square shapes, I like the W124 and 190 much more. Doesn't only apply to Mercs either, the new Volvo's are the same, give me the 740/760 shape, or even the old 240 box.
In my opinion many cars are losing their identity with regards to looks. The Ford range all look very similar except that they are bigger.
As to size, the bigger the better. E Class over C Class any day, sod the fuel consumption LOL.

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
Not an investment

In my view the best C Class ever made where the pre 1997 W 202 models .

Superbly built along with the E class W 124 series at the time.

The later stuff looses the plot insofar as they become too technically complicate with reliability going out of the window!

As second hand Mercedes used to be a good sound buy, now it can very often be a cash draining liability!!
Used examples are not holding their prices any better than any other make.

Mercedes cars are not an investment for the long term as they once used to be.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
If buying one of the run out W211 E class models be wary of the "Sport" models with 18" wheels and lowered+stiffened suspension. Many of the run out models seemed to come with this specification?? They look the biz but several owners have found the ride unacceptably hard compared to the standard suspension/wheeled cars. Try before you buy!

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If buying one of the run out W211 E class models be wary of the "Sport" models with 18" wheels and lowered+stiffened suspension. Many of the run out models seemed to come with this specification?? They look the biz but several owners have found the ride unacceptably hard compared to the standard suspension/wheeled cars. Try before you buy!

I can vouch for that. Mine has a very harsh ride at times. You're right it looks a picture with the twin pipes and nice alloys and it has the buttons on the steering wheel for changing gear but if I was buying one again I would go for an Elegance spec. After all the reason I bought an E was the waft factor which it has in spades but the stiff suspension compromises this a bit. Another point to take note of is that the Sports option is purely a trim option, there are no extra horses under the bonnet.

prm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 bluetec sport 13 plate
I love my Sport, goes round bends like its on rails and just looks fantastic with the 18's. A bit different to the run of the mill W211's and the Elegance has marshmallow for suspension, but each to their own.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
A bit harsh.

The new C class is very nice, but the 211 E class has a nice cabin, either are good cars but value for money wise the 211 is the better car. The 204 C will be sharper to drive, the E class more spacious, refined and comfy.

Depends what you want, I'd go for the E280 over a C220

So you are telling me a c class is a better car than an E class ? are you a politician by any chance ?

coolhans

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I love my Sport, goes round bends like its on rails and just looks fantastic with the 18's. A bit different to the run of the mill W211's and the Elegance has marshmallow for suspension, but each to their own.

HI prm. I agree with you. Car looks great and does handle very well. It's probably the old man in me coming out.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
If you don't own a Trilby, and are under 50 ............ I'm afraid your not aloud to buy an E Class ........... it's the law !!! .. sorry ..... I don't make the rules !!!!

You dont want a big old bus anyway .............

Then where does the S fit in? Octogenarians with Chauffeurs only?
Nah - the E is just for the more discerning. Its simply a roomier, better equipped and trimmed, and in many cases, faster car for less money. It is true it probaby doesn't suit a 20 year old but after that it's just down to maturity ;-)
On the sport's suspension, thats what the avantgarde is for. Decent ride without the marshmallow. The sport is there to allow people to have the handling and ride of a 5 series without the legal requirement to drive it like a dick but the ride isn't for everyone (or to be more accurate, many of Britains decrepid roads).

Top Bottom