Hydraulic oil level low - W124 E280 Estate

E280T

Reaction score
Tonight I had a real 'bonding' night with my car.

Whilst changing the light bulbs of my left headlight - a very annoying job on its own due to the hydraulic oil tank that's totally in the way (thanks Stuttgart) - I noticed that the tank for the 'Hydraulic Oil/Öl' was empty. Strange cause my rear suspension works like a charm and also my Power Steering works fine. I didn't get to test it after this moment, cause when starting the car it made a loud sound and my fan belt/multi-belt had snapped. Perhaps it was a bit expected since the belt was sounding slightly unhealthy for the past two weeks.

Back to the subject; should I fill up the hydraulic oil tank till the top or till two thirds? And as I understood from other threads I can use the green hydraulic oil that's also used for Citroens? Once filled I can get a clear picture of whether the level is sinking low or if it was just a fill up way overdue...

Cheers, Namy

ps. while the dark grey W124 280 Estate was standing on the rear end of the towing truck I loved it even more; hardly any other car has the charisma of a well kept original W124 :p

Attachments

• DSC00951.jpg
    DSC00951.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen shot 2009-12-08 at 02.29.12.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-12-08 at 02.29.12.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

The Crooner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 R320 cdi
You may want to read my current thread on suspension pipes.

There ia no credible reason for lack of hydraulic fluid other than a leak.

Mercedes sell the correct hydraulic fluid. My understanding is that the green Citroen fluid is a different composition.

If your inspection of the pipes proves there are no leaks, either in the pipes themselves or the spheres, struts and valves associated witgh them, I'm sure that they will benefit from a wire brushing and a coat of underseal.

Tony

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
Okay thanks! I shall check it out at the MB dealer. Any idea of the price? I figure it should equal normal oil?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The oil is MB343.0 you check the level with the car unladen

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
I did and the level was still very low yet everything functioned just fine.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Best oil is synthetic chf central hydraulic fluid, I think comma, fuchs OEM, XADO,Pentosin and others meets or exceeds the spec read bottle.

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
I have filled it up with original MB hydraulic oil and since then the level is stable...

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
You hopefully have not overfilled?--about 3/4 is right (room for expasion) now get a felt tip marker and draw a line at the level---keeping check is easy if its dropping then?

OP
E

E280T

Reaction score
I only filled up 3/4 or a bit less...
just made a roadtrip to Denmark with 3 people and cargo. Car self levelling works fine I can conclude... ;)

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I had a car recently where the flexible pipe had fatigued & was leaking just where it joins the reservoir. There was enough length to cut it back & refit it

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

mb300d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300d
Nick, I have seen the same thing - only noticed it when removing the n/s headlight - the pipe seems to deteriorate - I have replaced mine with a new pipe which was only a few pounds - as you say there is enough there to cut back and re-seal.

sebastiaoenes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 1986 200 TD Estate
I had a car recently where the flexible pipe had fatigued & was leaking just where it joins the reservoir. There was enough length to cut it back & refit it

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi Nick,
I´ve Just read your post and I had a similar problem with that pipe, the rubber has started to disintegrate and I need to replace it, did you did it yourself?, Is needed to drain the whole system?

Thanks Sebastião EF

Top Bottom