New shape C Class quality

C Class-sick

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has had problems as I have with their new C Class ?

I bought a C180K estate sport manual a demo car with 5k on the clock 18months ago.

First impressions were ok, getting used to manual and hard ride with sport susp and biggish (very attractive) alloys was difficult. Previous car was sublimely smooth CClass 200CDi estate avantgarde, auto with "normal " suspension and smallish alloys.

The interior of this new model is highly suspect.
The cheapest plastics have been used.
I have return the car 6 times to have rattles, creaks, failures repaired.
The list is :
1)2 indicator stalk failures/replacements.
2)Glove box lid fell open to the floor when opened.
3)Both silver kick plates fell off on the offside.
4)Constant creak and rattle in the seat back of front passenger seat took 2 attempts to fix.
5)Hatch door creaked and groaned constantly and took 2 visits to rectify.
(part of this fix has been to cover the fixing pegs on the tonneau cover in black felt, how long will this last ?).
6)Intermittent creaks from the dash board area underneath the speedo etc.
The plastic here is so cheap it flexes and creaks if you put the slightest pressure on it. Not entirely fixed but better.
7)A constant ticking around the ear area of the drivers door pillar .. drives me mad is most notable on quiet smooth roads.
I know this has been looked at but not fixed.
I hate this car so much I can't muster the energy to take it back again.
A shining light in all this is the mechanic at MB Brentford Kieran who has worked so hard to remedy everything, thank you Sir !

Please let me know if you have had similar trouble.
Thanks
Richard

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hello and welcome.......blimey.....simply not good enough.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome.......blimey.....simply not good enough.

Mic

I was lost for words Mic

Welcome with your sad tale C Class-sick

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
I have to be honest.. I have heard several times now that the interior lets the new C class down..
I was actually considering one when I changed the SL I had..
The exterior is very nice but the interior needs to be high quality as that is all you see (and feel) most of the time..
Pity really..

Supercharged

Reaction score
Website
www.adpuk.co.uk
Your Mercedes
New Audi RS5 Coupe on order
Hi Richard, I have just bought a Sport a few months ago ( and touch wood no problems so far ) Everything seems well bolted together, the plastics do leave abit to be deseried for a top marque but TBH my Porshe had similar plastics

gre1591

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Auto (1995)
Certainly makes a mockery of the new Mercedes buzz words “the best or nothing”.

For those of us who have owned Mercedes for years and know of the simply superb quality and durability once capable off the marque it saddens me to hear your tale .The only answer seems to be vote with your feet and buy something else! Maybe in the end Mercedes will get the message but I doubt it the Chinese market is opening up for them and we are going to be small fry to the Mercedes Empire.

Last edited:
OP
C

C Class-sick

Reaction score
Not wishing to go on too much .. but .. my fear is as the car gets older of course it is going to degrade and soon the warranty is up .. so then I pay or put up if more faults occur.
I know I chose the car (primarily for it's sizzling good looks, it's black with loads of chrome) but the model is quite flawed in concept .. the ride is hard on all but smooth roads due to big alloys, lowish profile tires and sport suspension. Who needs "sport" suspension, I mean, how fast are you going to corner, especially at the expense of comfort.
Anyway thats my problem I know.
@ supercharged, i wonder how you find the ride quality ? Bearable ?

Thanks all for reading and your answers.
Richard

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have had many threads where the owners have complained about the very hard ride Richard

Supercharged

Reaction score
Website
www.adpuk.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Not wishing to go on too much .. but .. my fear is as the car gets older of course it is going to degrade and soon the warranty is up .. so then I pay or put up if more faults occur.
I know I chose the car (primarily for it's sizzling good looks, it's black with loads of chrome) but the model is quite flawed in concept .. the ride is hard on all but smooth roads due to big alloys, lowish profile tires and sport suspension. Who needs "sport" suspension, I mean, how fast are you going to corner, especially at the expense of comfort.
Anyway thats my problem I know.
@ supercharged, i wonder how you find the ride quality ? Bearable ?

Thanks all for reading and your answers.
Richard

Coming out of a Porshe 911 the ride is quite firm but not to firm. I too chose the car for it,s good looks...........

IMG_0001-5.jpg

OP
C

C Class-sick

Reaction score
Hmm v nice in white (the new black!), did you choose the black-out rear glass ?
i'd like to post a pic too but can't see how ..a bit dim !

Supercharged

Reaction score
Website
www.adpuk.co.uk
Your Mercedes
No I have just had the windows tinted a few weeks ago. You need to host your pictures on Photobucket or some other site , upload you picture and then copy the url and post. If you cant do it email me the picture and ill sort. PM me your details

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm v nice in white (the new black!), did you choose the black-out rear glass ?
i'd like to post a pic too but can't see how ..a bit dim !

If you have any pictures on a host site like photo bucket just put the URL direct link into the yellow box just above where you are posting from, or if they are on your computer, go the manage attachments below where you are posting from and upload them

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
By chance I have today been given a C Class 180 Kompressor SE as a loan car while my 57 Plate A Class is being serviced - and I can see exactly what the OP means about the interior. There are large slabs of not very nice plastic all over the place and some sort of mottled grey wood trim which looks as if it came out of a 1970s Magnet kitchen.

Amazingly - and trying to be as objective as possible - the A Class interior is altogether more Merc-like and well...plush even.

How odd that a model costing thousands less should be clearly more appropriate to the marque. This C Class also has 17" alloys with 40 tyres which do nothing for the ride.

OP
C

C Class-sick

Reaction score
Hello .. funnily enough, my exact experience ... two of the many times it has been in
I was given an A class and just as you say, it decidedly plush and well put together, nice materials.
In fact a pleasant little car altogether, I can't think of a better town car.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Re my earlier post - have subsequently discovered that the C Class loan car I was given was actually a sport model - that plus 40 profile tyres would obviously explain the hard ride.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
Sorry to hear your troubles .. My C class, is the muts nuts, and has no problems whatsoever ............... and I'm a picky bugger !!

Sounds like you got a lemon .......... it happens .... but the dealer should be sorting it out, and making you happy !!

OP
C

C Class-sick

Reaction score
Good-bye (or not a good buy !) MB

At Christmas I pulled out a shopping bag from the rear seat-well and another piece of interior trim broke off (the lower door lip panel).
Shortly after, stacking some empty boxes into the back with the seat lowered, the plastic capping around the base fixer broke off.
Really, I had begun to hate this car almost irrationally.
I note the new, face lifted model has a completely new interior ... hmmm.

I just wish in all my correspondence with MB in Holland they could offer an explanation for the poor quality of the car.
In my previous thread (or rant, really) is the list of problems.
A few weeks ago, the new Freelander arrived, 2.2SD auto HSE with 19ins wheels.
It is fault free, super smooth and (imo) quite a looker with the larger wheels and cream leather. The ride doesn't suffer with the 19"s.
MB should look at the door and seat plastics for a quality revelation.
I would be the first to say the dash is no looker, but it's perfectly firm and not a creak or rattle to be heard. You can lean on the door armrest and they are rock solid, unlike the dreaded and now vanquished C Class.
Many of the features of the LR are streets ahead of MB in user capability.
eg : to deactivate the inner alarm sensor, just one click of the fob .. not the unreachable, nearly invisible silly button on the roof of the C.
A simple rocker type switch on the wheel for the cruise, not that hard to fathom stalk.
Wipers with amazingly full arc, especially the rear.
Thankfully a manual tailgate, the auto MB only worked now and then, leaving you feeling such a twit, clicking away, arm fulls of shopping ...
Interior fabrics that seem completely washable , unlike the MB .. the colour and surface wore away on the driver door after a few cleans.
The iphone connects perfectly and sounds great, another previous MB failure.
There's more but you've probably dropped off to sleep ! LOL
Good luck to all you folk.
Richard

Top Bottom