Change Xenon lights to right hand driving

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2018 GLA 200d Sport Premium Plus
Hi all
I have a 270 E class 211 saloon.
I have been informed it is possible to change xenon bulbs from left hand drive to right hand, it even mentions it in the hand book.
I am in Holland at the moment and a main agent here had no knowledge that it can be changed.
With halogen bulbs it is quite straight forward there is a lever to change from left to right.
I find it a bit odd that the Dutch have no knowledge about this, they tried to fit some stick on deflectors I had taken with me only to be told they were useless.
Can anybody confirm this can be done?
Thanks

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for quick reply but it does address my problem as I understand xenon bulbs can be adjusted, I assume elctronically

Oarsman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L CDI Bluetec, Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI, 1963 Triumph TR4
As in the link already provided above. There is a small switch inside the back cover on each lamp which can be adjusted for continental driving.

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As in the link already provided above. There is a small switch inside the back cover on each lamp which can be adjusted for continental driving.

That switch is only for halogen bulbs there is no switch for xenon bulbs

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could you tell me how this achieved please?

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
As Oarsman says,,,,You have to take the back cover off the headlamp unit and there is a small lever to move up or down. With some the lever is moved and returns,other the lever just moves

Its a bit of a faf!

Have you been warned by the police or are you staying some time?:cool:

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do appreciate your comments, but as I keep saying the lever does not apply to xenon bulbs.
I did attempt trying to find a lever only to completely naff it up and had to pay Mercedes main agent 186euros to put it right.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
why didn't you ask the MB main dealer who fixed it?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I do appreciate your comments, but as I keep saying the lever does not apply to xenon bulbs.
I did attempt trying to find a lever only to completely naff it up and had to pay Mercedes main agent 186euros to put it right.

I'm sorry bigbear but you are wrong! Read the thread and particularly the post I highlighted. It lists all the models applicable both halogen AND xenon. You even say so yourself in the first post "it even mentions it in the hand book"

Does your 211 have the Intelligent Light option? If so it can only be adjusted using STAR. Any dealer will be able to do this for you.

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm sorry bigbear but you are wrong! Read the thread and particularly the post I highlighted. It lists all the models applicable both halogen AND xenon. You even say so yourself in the first post "it even mentions it in the hand book"

Does your 211 have the Intelligent Light option? If so it can only be adjusted using STAR. Any dealer will be able to do this for you.

In the handbook it mentions a lever for halogen bulbs,for xenon it says contact Mercedes so I assumed mine could be adjusted.
As for "Intelligent Light option" if you mean self levelling headlights then I have that fitted, as for STAR I have no idea what that is.
Thanks for your help

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I googled Mercedes Star and have discovered it is basicly a laptop with diagnostic software, so I assume my xenon lights are change electronically?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Intelligent Lights is where the lights automatically adjust for range etc. Self leveling is standard for all xenons.

STAR is the diagnostic system used by dealers and well equipped independents to interrogate the car's system for fault diagnosis and for configuring various systems.

I strongly suggest you would be better to take your car to a Mercedes dealership and get them to set the headlights. Either way, whatever type you have, they should be able to help.

Headlamp conversion for driving abroad is usually done FOC.

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Intelligent Lights is where the lights automatically adjust for range etc. Self leveling is standard for all xenons.

STAR is the diagnostic system used by dealers and well equipped independents to interrogate the car's system for fault diagnosis and for configuring various systems.

I strongly suggest you would be better to take your car to a Mercedes dealership and get them to set the headlights. Either way, whatever type you have, they should be able to help.

Headlamp conversion for driving abroad is usually done FOC.

As I mentioned in my first post Mercedes here in Holland had no knowledge of what you mention.
I will be back in the Uk on Saturday so I will see what my local dealer has to say.
Thanks for your help

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As I mentioned in my first post Mercedes here in Holland had no knowledge of what you mention.
I will be back in the Uk on Saturday so I will see what my local dealer has to say.
Thanks for your help

Please come back and post the outcome of your visit to the dealer.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
bigbear, there IS a lever to adjust the beam pattern as you have been told. it will not magically adjust your beam pattern, but will cut out the angled elevation to the LHS that RHD cars have.

OP
bigbear

bigbear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
bigbear, there IS a lever to adjust the beam pattern as you have been told. it will not magically adjust your beam pattern, but will cut out the angled elevation to the LHS that RHD cars have.

Can you tell me how it done, no one has managed to yet.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Open the back of the main light unit (as if to replace the bulb) and feel to the side of the bulb housing nearest to the wing of the car, you should find a small lever. Carefully move the lever to set the adjustment. I think there was a picture of the opening in the thread I linked to above.

It can be very fiddly to find and move but it is there!

Top Bottom