1st post - 1st MB - 05 280CDi Avantgarde Estate 7 seater

Avantgarde Nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E280CDi Dec 05 7seat Estate Avantgarde
Good afternoon everyone

1st post on this forum - and grateful for some advice. I am about to buy a Dec 05 Silver 280CDi Estate Tip Auto Avantgarde with 7 seats and black leather. I went for it after some research - couldn't quite afford the facelift 06 model, wanted a late old one, a V6, 7 seats (have kids with friends) and one with full MB SH. Fancied more grunt than the 220CDi could provide but didn't really need the extra power of the 320CDi. Have owned a BMW 530d Estate in the past, but more recently a 7 seat VW Touran which seeemed ok while the kids were younger. But now I seek more refinement and am looking for something which will last me 10 years until the kids have flown the nest, especially for long journeys to Europe and across the country to see relatives.

It's done 65,000 miles with 1 owner, and a call to the MB dealer which had done all the previous servicing revealed services in Sep 06 (13k), May 07 (25k), May 08 (38k), Dec 08 (48k) and Feb 10 (59k). The lady also said that in addition to the servicing the car had had a new M55 motor (aircon I think), a light unit and in Sep this year a new turbo. The first 2 were done under warranty and MB contributed to the turbo. She said the car had benefitted from any recalls which may have applied.

To get a feel for costs I rang a local independent MB dealer who quoted £187 inc VAT for an A service and £254 inc VAT for a B Service - obviously the base costs before anything else needing doing. Their labour rate is £59.50 / hr +VAT.

Some questions:

(a) Does this car seem like a good prospect to you? (I'm paying £13999 from an independent dealer)
(b) Should I be worried about the turbo or any other aspects of its history?
(c) Are the servicing costs accurate, and is anyone living near Salisbury, Wiltshire able to give advice on good independent MB dealers in the vicinity?
(d) What should I be looking out for in particular, other than the usual stuff, when I see and test drive the car?

Many thanks - and I look forward to contributing back to the forum when I'm the owner!

Nick

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Welcome to the forum Nick.

I have very recently purchased facelift w211 320CDI and did a lot of research before buying it, In my view 280 isn't that great deal better/economical than 320 as they both have same engine, 280 is slightly toned down version of 320 monster.

Why not go for the 320CDI and just use the amount of power you need. Economy wise you wont save as much and the services cost will be around the same along with the insurance etc. Although with 320 you know you have the extra grunt when needed. Servicing costs are fair i think, You can however find a decent Indie from this forum as we have many very knowledgeable guys who know these cars inside out.

Try MBS of Southampton, they are member here (Username - SAM/UNIT) also Olly from Prestige Car service, both very near to you and very nice people.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
M55 is the inlet port shut off motor, very common fault with that 642 engine!!

Welcome......

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The 280 equates almost directly in performance to my 210 320CDi which has enough power for most on GB roads. I think the most important aspect of looking for a car as close in performance as these two models is spec. If the 280 ticks the box why not buy it.

As regards running costs these cars can be expensive to run if reliability is poor and I would certainly go for the facelift. There are issues with this engine (do some research on ther forum). The 7g box needs to be seamless, anything less walk away as there can be software issues that will spoil the ownership experience.

The SBC would put me off a pre-facelift car and push me towards the facelift when the system was discontinued.

Hope this helps!

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I would say a facelifted car is a better bet, even if its a 220cdi.

On paper a 280cdi has not got an awful lot on the 220cdi motor, 20bhp 40 or so ft/lb torque, noticeable but the 320 has that again on the 280cdi.

The 280cdi will be a damn lot smoother than a 220cdi, but the 220cdi is the more tried and tested engine, and will outlive the planet, and the gearbox's, 5sps are just better.

Trust me, I have ran both, and at least a 320cdi has the power to make you giggle to make up for the shortfalls, of which there are many, of the transmission.

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
Hello and welcome.
Go for a facelift model as late as you can.
They're not many issues with them, plus the 7 speed 'box is alot smoother than early ones.
When you but one, you'll love it.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Hello and welcome.
Go for a facelift model as late as you can.
They're not many issues with them, plus the 7 speed 'box is alot smoother than early ones.
When you but one, you'll love it.

True but make it a 320cdi. The 280cdi has all the draw backs and none of the benefits IMHO.

Oh sport or AG. Sport does make it feel like a sporty hatch to drive, really tight body control and the car can be driven at significant speed. If that is not an issue the AG is a better bet, nicer ride with a still controlled body, and it will be kinder on suspension as the tyres will soak up more of the bumps.

I still feel a 220 makes a better long term bet as its more durable (and proven) and no real issues at all with that car, and for a family estate fine (8.x secs to 60 and they do 140mph).

Or if you are a low miles driver, a petrol engined car has a lot to offer and the V8 engines very strong and durable.

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
True but make it a 320cdi. The 280cdi has all the draw backs and none of the benefits IMHO.

Oh sport or AG. Sport does make it feel like a sporty hatch to drive, really tight body control and the car can be driven at significant speed. If that is not an issue the AG is a better bet, nicer ride with a still controlled body, and it will be kinder on suspension as the tyres will soak up more of the bumps.

I still feel a 220 makes a better long term bet as its more durable (and proven) and no real issues at all with that car, and for a family estate fine (8.x secs to 60 and they do 140mph).

Or if you are a low miles driver, a petrol engined car has a lot to offer and the V8 engines very strong and durable.

Certainly Steve, either a 220 CDi or a 320CDi.
Shows that the E can either be a comfy economical workhorse, or all of those an, autobahn stormer and an Engine as smooth as a petrol this side of a V8.
Sport, still comfortable but sporty something BM M Sports and Audi S-Lines don't get.
The 18 inch wheels are nice too.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Certainly Steve, either a 220 CDi or a 320CDi.
Shows that the E can either be a comfy economical workhorse, or all of those an, autobahn stormer and an Engine as smooth as a petrol this side of a V8.
Sport, still comfortable but sporty something BM M Sports and Audi S-Lines don't get.
The 18 inch wheels are nice too.

st4-albums-my-e-class-2-2nd-merc-e320cdi-sport-picture2754-dsc01747.jpg

Oooooops.

You forgot near V8 performance as well. Its probably as rapid as a small capacity V8, like a 3500cc unit. The 5500cc E500 does have some on it, but its near E500 pace with very near E220cdi fuel consumption.

The price, 7g.

OP
A

Avantgarde Nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks everyone for your replies. Yes, get the message that post 06 facelift is better but think I'll struggle to get a 06 or later E220 CDi Estate with 7 seats for my £14k budget - unless anyone has one for sale...

Am interested in the comments and previous posts about the 642 engine, and particularly those from S-A-M / U-N-I-T. Since my potential car has had a single owner who has gone to a MB main dealer throughout I know it has benefitted from the various recalls, which hopefully will have nipped in the bud the main areas of worry. But I wonder...lost of good comments about the V6 smoothness and power delivery, just a niggling worry about the engine reliabilty...

Anything else I should be looking out for when I test drive, apart from the smoothness of the 7sp gearbox? Looks like I would be foolish not to take up the 12 months' platinum warranty offered (the one endorsed by Quentin Wilson I think) - any views? Dealer says he'll give it to me cost price at £350.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Hi Nick,

I am a late entrant on this thread, for which I apologize.

I am a keen student of the 320 CDI E Class (IL6, or V6). The reality is that the E Class estate (especially when loaded) is a big car, so the 320 engine with its extra torque gives a significant benefit. It takes a certain amount of fuel to shift a car around, so the 220 engine (even in face-lift form) does not confer much benefit on fuel economy when all else is equal.

So, regardless of what the boy racers say (and I am sure that they are correct), the 320 just gives you that much more in everyday performance, with no appreciable penalty in economy. Bear in mind that the 320 has at least 500 NM (370 ish lbs/ft) of torque, and that is what gives it breathtaking performance for overtaking, hill climbing and towing. Very similar torque output to the 500, so very similar performance - in a 320 you will not be left behind by a 500 V8 petrol, believe me!

We look forward to hearing of your choice (and seeing the evidence). Remember, in addition to any technical arguments (as above), buy your car on condition (you seem well aware of all the issues) and don't hesitate to buy an older car in exemplary condition, within your budget. You are unlikely to wear it out!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Some early 642 lumps had some quiet worring points, seen a few which have wanted the front main crank bearings replacing due to knocking, did a few at the dealers i was at, inlet port shut off motors (M55) due to a poor seal on the turbo, leaking oil on to the motor, crank shaft sensors, that became a recall due to the engine just cutting out without warning, 02 sensors are starting to come through now, done quiet a few this last year, top idle pulley breaking up throwing the belt off, and also the reg packs in the rear of the alternator going down, thats a common merc fault on all the models!!

Thats what comes to mind at the mo with the early ones, some late ones have faults but not to the degree of the early ones!!

OP
A

Avantgarde Nick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Enough to put you off S-A-M / U-N-I-T ? I wonder how many 642 lumps which have benefitted from the recalls (mine has had the M55 done) are still problematic...or have stored up problems for the future. Would be interested in the views of any 05ish E280CDi owners who have done big mileages.

Nick

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
We see a C,class with 147000 on it nearly every month for a service, it runs 24 hrs a day! never wants anything other than oil and filters!

Dont forget, we only see a few problem ones, theres 1000's of 642 lumps out there which have never had a fault!!!

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
02 sensors are starting to come through now, done quiet a few this last year, top idle pulley breaking up throwing the belt off, and also the reg packs in the rear of the alternator going down, thats a common merc fault on all the models!!QUOTE]

I wonder why I am getting that Deja Vu moment ??

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Some early 642 lumps had some quiet worring points, seen a few which have wanted the front main crank bearings replacing due to knocking, did a few at the dealers i was at, inlet port shut off motors (M55) due to a poor seal on the turbo, leaking oil on to the motor, crank shaft sensors, that became a recall due to the engine just cutting out without warning, 02 sensors are starting to come through now, done quiet a few this last year, top idle pulley breaking up throwing the belt off, and also the reg packs in the rear of the alternator going down, thats a common merc fault on all the models!!

Thats what comes to mind at the mo with the early ones, some late ones have faults but not to the degree of the early ones!!

Great I have an early one :(

Had the turbo seal go, not had the pleasure of the CPS going, or the bearings.

What sort of cost is involved in the process of changing the CPS and the bearings.

prm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml350 bluetec sport 13 plate
I've got the E280cdi Sport, have had it a year now and done 30,000, cars done 49,000, it has been faultless and drives like a dream. My brother has a 320cdi CLS, and we can't feel much difference in power in all honesty. If you need more, get it chipped:D

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom