Breakdown organisations - any suggestions?

scotsboi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black 320 CLK Convertible
So,

I'm driving up to Scotland at the end of March and am thinking about joining a breakdown /recovery outfit. My CLK is only 5 years old - but would rather have the security of cover- than be stuck on a cold braw bricht moonlicht nicht in a dreary scottish lay-by ...in the middle of nowhere...regretting spending the 70 or 80 quid!

I've read a few posts where people have had a bad experience of one company or another...but, I suppose, like most things - for every one persons bad experience...you get 3 or more people who had a good one...but didn't write about it - although that doesn't detract from the fact that some company's are just sh*te!

So far I've asked for quotes that basically cover everything but europe:

GreenFlag - £78.44 - roadside assist, local recov, no call out charge, cover at home, long dist recov, hire car or altrnv, travel costs to collect car

R.A.C - £115.98 - roadside assist & recovery, onward trv anywhere in UK, local recovry, fix at home

A.A - £99 - roadside assist & local or national recovery, home start&relay

A.A - £153 - all the above plus cost of parts and extra garage work (upto 5 paid claims a year (£500 per time)
Britannia Rescue - £73.50 - roadside assist, uk recovery, theft or vandalism cover, relief driver, housecall, replacement car with overnight, + European cover

Note: most include an online discount

I've only really heard of the AA and R.A.C - does anyone have experience of Green Flag or Britannia - they both seem pretty competitive? Are there any others that people would recommend that I've missed?

Thanks in advance once again, :lol:

j.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
RAC for me, tried the AA and suffered one of their recovery fiascos. Apparently the AA only work within a given area, so you get home in installments, found this out the hard way hence my change to the RAC. This happened some years ago but I assume the T&Cs haven't changed.

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
RAC for me, tried the AA and suffered one of their recovery fiascos. Apparently the AA only work within a given area, so you get home in installments, found this out the hard way hence my change to the RAC. This happened some years ago but I assume the T&Cs haven't changed.

That's precisely why I'm with the RAC which is why there's is, 'Recovery' and the AA's is 'Relay'.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I'm insured and get breakdown cover via admiral insurance. Very competitive and the recovery appears to cover adequately, though not tested it.

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
So,

does anyone have experience of Green Flag or Britannia - they both seem pretty competitive?

ol:

j.

These companys use mainly local breakdown companies (they dont have the patrols or the breakdown wagons on the scale of the big two)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
My RAC cover is down to £40 now and has been for some years

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk

Just to give you an insight into what that is about recovery wagons are NOT subject to tacho regs (which is disgusting)so when you get recovered by your locals they might have been on the go for 24 hours or more (so keep talking to them it might keep them awake and therefore keep you alive.I live not far from a now defunct local breakdown company who drove one driver to his death by having him drive excessive hours when he fell asleep at the wheel minutes from the depot

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Both the AA and RAC will subcontract attendance and recovery out also depending on their local level of cover. Scotland is one area where this can happen due simply to the isolation and large geographical distances involved.
Britania Rescue gets consistently high reviews from consumer organisations like Which The CSMA /Frizzells use them and I believe ASDA for their own brand product. To be honest it doesn't really matter if the breakdown truck that turns up is in a Smart Corporate Livery or is "Jim's Auto Recovery" from down the road. Its really how quickly and efficiently they deal with your problem that counts.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
But how versed are they in things MB? Will Fred Bloggs recovery have STAR? (No!)

Only needed "recovery" once when the battery died (at home) and Mobilo attended. There is a comfort in seeing an MB tech in attendance

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
But how versed are they in things MB? Will Fred Bloggs recovery have STAR? (No!)

Only needed "recovery" once when the battery died (at home) and Mobilo attended. There is a comfort in seeing an MB tech in attendance

How many thousands do you have to spend to get that level of service:shock:

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
I Have AA cover and have had no problems. as with the RAC if you have the right package they will get you home or to your chosen garage if repairs cannot be done at the roadside, regardless of distance.

I also have the breakdown repair cover and have claimed once before on this on a previous car, i was towed to a garage paid for the repairs and made a phone call the next day to claim,and i received a cheque within days.
(they will only pay out if your car has been taken to a garage by the AA)

OP
scotsboi

scotsboi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black 320 CLK Convertible

I did look at mobilo but it only covers car registered after 1st april '08.

I'm assuming (& could be totally wrong) - that Britannia or GreenFlag use only vetted and approved companies.

I suppose being a Mercedes group - I'm kinda interested in what breakdown service others use - as word of mouth is a lot better than the online testimonials that you read on their website!

Last edited:

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
Just to give you an insight into what that is about recovery wagons are NOT subject to tacho regs (which is disgusting)so when you get recovered by your locals they might have been on the go for 24 hours or more

A few years ago 4/5 guys in a stag party died including the groom when a recovery truck ran into the back of a 40 footer.The 40 footer was traveling at about 20 mph on the inside lane (my theory breakdown driver tired /he also had traces of dope in his system)The big organisations carryout random testing of their employees .They also restrict driving hours although not legally bound to do so (you pays your money)

orbitalegg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W163 ML 320 1998
I did look at mobilo but it only covers car registered after 1st april '08.

I'm assuming (& could be totally wrong) - that Britannia or GreenFlag use only vetted and approved companies.

I suppose being a Mercedes group - I'm kinda interested in what breakdown service others use - as word of mouth is a lot better than the online testimonials that you read on their website!

you are right that word of mouth is way better than glossy ads and online testimonials.

Having had RAC in the past and being presently with the AA i can say the bottom line is they all offer pretty much the same service. make sure you choose the right package and you should be ok.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I've had AA cover for years, used them a couple of times and no problems. Had a sports car "relayed" from devon to Reading in one hit, no probs. Not sure which company sub contracts it work to a local garage but like all things, it the guy that carries out the work that counts.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I've had AA cover for years, used them a couple of times and no problems. Had a sports car "relayed" from Devon to Reading in one hit, no probs. Not sure which company sub contracts it work to a local garage but like all things, it the guy that carries out the work that counts.

I am sure you are right. People draw wide ranging conclusions about national networks, but only based on their own personal experience in one or two locations.

Camel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270 CDI Elegance Nov 2001
I have green flag, never had a problem. Been recovered loads too (mainly due to my motorbike, either falling off, or a flat tyre etc).

Used them recently for a trip home from Wakefield to Newcastle, no bother at all.

There is a company that you join for a low cost, then when you call out the breakdown service, you pay the fee for recovery. But then you claim that fee back. I guess it works a bit like Bupa, that type of thing. I can't remember their name, but it sounds ideal for you as it is low outlay, and you only pay if you need it.

It got good reviews too from Honest John. When I remember, I'll post up a link!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom