jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
in view of petrol price keep going up, who got one?

is it still a washing machine joke?

changing the battery alone costs $2K

or is it best to take the next leap forward fully electric or hybrid smart or honda insight?

pls trash it out

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
Why should we bother, Dragon?

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
horrible car to drive, I'd rather walk

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
horrible car to drive, I'd rather walk
Is that just a comment or have you driven one.

I haven't but apart from the jiggly ride don't see any reason to be put off per-se, but obviously a diesel hybrid would have made even more sense.

or would it given that the electric motor really makes up for the poor round town acceleration issue on a petrol car, would it fair as well in comparison against a torquey diesel?

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
We could enquire about your holiday and hijack the thread ;)

Now that's interesting.

It was horribly hot and sunny, people were horribly nice and friendly, country was horribly nice and beer and G&Ts were horribly cold. In all, it was awful.

****** Thailand, must go back to confirm how awful it was.

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is that just a comment or have you driven one.

I haven't but apart from the jiggly ride don't see any reason to be put off per-se, but obviously a diesel hybrid would have made even more sense.

or would it given that the electric motor really makes up for the poor round town acceleration issue on a petrol car, would it fair as well in comparison against a torquey diesel?

I have, the semi auto box is not great, visibility is only so so and the cabin is cramped, but the worst thing is you are constantly looking at the fuel consumption and electric power reserve, a Ford Mondeo is a much nicer car to drive and in diesel form much more economical.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Should have been called the Toyota Pious!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Should have been called the Toyota Pious!

One passed me on the m/way in excess of 90mph, surely the driver did not understand the point of driving them? :lol:

Russ

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
With a Cd of 0.25 it is still more efficient than most other cars.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
One can always buy one of them skoda fabia 1.4 diesels.. they actually drive nice, failry nippy, do easy 60+ mpg on short journeys and my friend driving like a saint on motorway got his up to 114 mpg..
Who needs an over complicated hybrid ?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
One can always buy one of them skoda fabia 1.4 diesels.. they actually drive nice, failry nippy, do easy 60+ mpg on short journeys and my friend driving like a saint on motorway got his up to 114 mpg..
Who needs an over complicated hybrid ?

With a SKODA it is always easy to Czech the fuel consumption. ;)

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
buy something old. the embodied energy and additional "stuff to go wrong" in a modern hybrid is bad IMHO

i can comment on the drive etc as ive never driven one. if its purely a running cost decision then i would suggest buying something with an LPG conversion.

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I just wish everybody would quickly buy up all these electric/hybrid cars and make it a mass market.

Then there would be less demand for petrol and the price would come down.

I could then have it all to myself - he he he !

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
buy something old. the embodied energy and additional "stuff to go wrong" in a modern hybrid is bad IMHO

i can comment on the drive etc as ive never driven one. if its purely a running cost decision then i would suggest buying something with an LPG conversion.

have to agree with this, whats the life expectancy of the average car...7 years or so. This is terrible waste of energy and resources, cars should be built to last and that does mean simple engineering and they should be repaired and repaired again, both my cars are approaching 20 years old but both are very healthy. In the case of the G-Wagen I expect it to last another 20 years. There are no shortage of 40 year old Land Rovers around and with respect to them compared to the G they are rubbish.

OP
J

jasonyw

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/1997/1.8;W211/2005/E200K
  • Banned
have to agree with this, whats the life expectancy of the average car...7 years or so. This is terrible waste of energy and resources, cars should be built to last and that does mean simple engineering and they should be repaired and repaired again, both my cars are approaching 20 years old but both are very healthy. In the case of the G-Wagen I expect it to last another 20 years. There are no shortage of 40 year old Land Rovers around and with respect to them compared to the G they are rubbish.

plastic cars and yet it costs as much as a C-class, we are encouraged going the wrong direction. My C-class survived me 15 years.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Why would a car manufacturer, that makes money selling cars, want them to last a long time?

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500

if i can spend something like £1500 buying and returning an old F*rd to far beyond roadworthy condition [not perfect] then where is the sense in spending 20k or whatever it is on one of these cars? havent the materials in the batteries gone round the world before the car turns a wheel?

i understand if everyone did what i and a few others do then used cars would be a lot more expensive, and so would new cars due to the decreased manurfacturing. i think the economy would work better though.

i also believe that simple engineering rules over computer controlled stupidity - its all nice to have an electronic dipstick on your BMW but when it costs a three figure sum when it goes wrong its not worth it.

i think most cars would last longer if they were repaired properly and not just binned because someone wanted a new one. i really dont get this "new car" thing - i think its a thatcherite way of thinking and i see an immense amount of kudos in having a mint OLD car.

sorry for the rant it annoys me

dbanbery

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 R129 SL500
Why would a car manufacturer, that makes money selling cars, want them to last a long time?

because their business would be more sustainable and last longer, rather than eventually go bust because materials are so expensive due to everything spiralling out of control.

its greed feeding on the greed of others...

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom