SL320 R129 Non Starter

A

AGOG

Hi, My '96 SL320 has been standing sometime and had a flat battery but after recharging she still refuses to start, all ignition lights come on but I can hear relays clicking away somewhere in the dash and the array of instrument lights go dim and then bright, on turning the key further to crank the starter, all goes dead, turn the key back one stop and the relays start their clicking again??? Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions as to what the problem could be. :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think that the battery is dead, pop a voltmeter over the terminal when you try and start

OP
A

AGOG

Hi Malcolm, thanks for your quick reply.

battery is under 1 year olds and show 14.4 volts.
I've been looking at other posts on this subject. My SRS light has been on whilst driving a couple of times before I stopped using the car for the winter. It seems this may also be the symtoms for a replacement ignition switch. What do you think ? Is it an easy thing to replace ? What about the starter relay in the dash, it clicks away when I switch to pos 1, is that easy to get at ?
Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What does the battery show when trying to crank, turn the head lamps on and try and start and see if the headlamps go out.

The K38 starter lock out relay behind the relay is a known fault on the 129 as the spades can get poor contacts, you really need to connect the mater on to the small terminal on the starter to see if 12v is when you turn the key

OP
A

AGOG

Should I try jumpstarting from another car with jump leads ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes you can and that would prove the battery

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
battery is under 1 year olds and show 14.4 volts.

errrrrrr, how can it?? no battery will give you that voltage without the engine running, however good it is.

i suggest you check voltage again with lights on, and then when trying to start as malcolm suggests. and yes, it might be the ignition switch.

OP
A

AGOG

So she fired up 1st time after I'd connected jump leads from my trusty Citroen.
I took her out for a 25km drive, with all functioning well and going like a dream. But on returning a chez moi I tried to restart, but nothing, a slight glowing of the dash lights and then nowt !
As the battery is only 10 months old I'll now have to go through some wrangling to get it replaced, s'not that easy here in France, but then nothing really is !

Thanks to both Malcolm and Alex for your helpful inspiration, comme d'habitude !

OP
A

AGOG

errrrrrr, how can it?? no battery will give you that voltage without the engine running, however good it is.

i suggest you check voltage again with lights on, and then when trying to start as malcolm suggests. and yes, it might be the ignition switch.

<<battery is under 1 year olds and show 14.4 volts.>>
You're absolutely right Alex, It showed 14.4V because I stupidly measured the voltage whilst the charger was on the battery charging, so I'm off now to get a check up from the neck up !! :Oops:

Top Bottom