W210 Head Gasket Failure?

johnnyj

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a W210 E240 petrol auto saloon, 1999, 51k genuine miles. It has two problems, possibly connected (although it would be odd if they were!).

1. I have creamy gunge on the underside of the oil filler cap;
2. the screen & lamps washer resevoirs won't hold water for more than a day.

The car always shows perfect temperature although I have noticed that I have to top the oil up every now and then. It always starts and runs 100% like new.

The washer resevoirs never appear to actually visibly leak (so where on earth is the water going??!!).

The two are probably not related but it is an odd coincidece.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas?

Many thanks

John

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Condensation causes the mayo effect on this engine.

Re the washer bottle, check for a telltale drip/puddle under the car.

horgantrevor

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Your Mercedes
E220 CDI avantgarde c43//amg
Condensation causes the mayo effect on this engine.

Re the washer bottle, check for a telltale drip/puddle under the car.

as above the m112 engine on short journeys can have mayo under cap no need to worry its normal it due to a breather pipe it will go on a long journey

the water leek from windscreen it may be a connection under it if you look at the top of the tank their is a plastic screw star shaped remove it and then

lift it up and look for a leak i bet you have one on the system it also can leake were the level sensor is

OP
J

johnnyj

Reaction score
Gentlemen, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

The car does about 8 miles to work and back each day, and I don't do long journeys. Mystery solved?!!

Regarding the washer resevoir leaks, I have had both units out and still can't find the leak. The funny thing is, there is never a trace of water under the car. Oh well, I can live with it given that the other problem appears to be "good news".

Thanks again

John

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
As you can,t see the leaking washer fluid, i think it might be leaking under the bonnet onto the undertray, look closely at the where the washer pump attaches to the washer reservoir, there is a rubber grommet had this on my AMG it was about 20p for a new grommet from MB.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom