another diff issue - 300sd

chodda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
500sec on 300sd:)
hello guys

as previously posted I have finished conversion of 500sec. now, the 300sd (617) turbo engine is plunged in auto.tranny also taken from 300sd.

3.07 diff from donor car has no ABS, and yet I have another 3.46 from gasser which has ABS and will fit to 500sec.

As for now I drive with 2.24 original from gasser but car is so slow on takeoff and hills.(noise is reduced however...)

Please advise can I and what outcome of putting 3.46 diff with ABS might be

OP
C

chodda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
bump

bump :shock:

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Sorry can't help with the diff issue but I'd like to see some pictures and hear some more about the engine transplant as it's one of those things I always thought I'd like to do one day. SEC, superb looking car + 3.0 TD engine running on chip fat = motoring bliss :)

OP
C

chodda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry can't help with the diff issue but I'd like to see some pictures and hear some more about the engine transplant as it's one of those things I always thought I'd like to do one day. SEC, superb looking car + 3.0 TD engine running on chip fat = motoring bliss :)

donor1s.jpg

well,there's a donor above stripped :) it was very hard to find one in europe
all in all everything bolts, 617 turbo is quite fair for this chassis but diff must be resolved because car now is a slow dog :)... my pumpkin is newer gen2 so it is harder to find used one.. as for now I drive with 2.24 which is way too slow.(on start and hills...anyway...)

I have 3.07 from donor but it has no ABS so I m sticking with 2.24 with ABS for now... at least until I discover some 2.47,2.88 or 3.07 with ABS

el.instalations are also one thing that you have to think of because it is nothing like w124 where you can basically plug out/in everything you like, in my (w126) case I had to re-wire whole car to avoid cutting.

edit: you also have to cut exhaust pipe for a 5 cm or so to fit a 500sec ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom