Powerfull Pete

Reaction score
Website
www.panda-engineering.co.uk
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2003
ML 270 ABS / Turbo problem??

Hi Guys
I'm new to the forum, I'm hoping you guys can offer me some advice.
I have a 2003 ML270. A couple of months ago I hit a pot hole in the road and a whole host of warning lights came on and the ABS pump started running constantly (when the ignition is on)
I took it in to the local MB dealership (Mercedes-Benz Bradford) and after various tests they concluded the turbo needed replacing! The explanation was that oil had contaminated an electrical item on the turbo.
£1600 later I collected the car, complete with the new turbo.
Six weeks later I hit another pot hole and the same warning lights came on.
Another visit to the MB main dealers. They have now diagnosed a new ABS pump is required (£2500 inc fitting)
I am reluctant to give the dealers the go ahead to fit this part. My reasoning is that if a fault occours immediatle after a heavy jolt. Surly the cause is more likely to be a loose wire, faulty relay, corroded conector, corroded fuse holder??
Is this a common fault? My dealers are refusing to enter into dialog. They are insistant they were two seperate faults, the turbo and now the ABS pump.
Any help or advise is very welcome.
Best regards
Peter

Last edited:

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Im lost here are we talking W163 ML320 petrol or 270 diesel~??? I dont recall a 320 CDi ML or a turbo on a 320 petrol.

jib

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This could all be that poor engine earth strap that ML's have see what others say

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Im lost here are we talking W163 ML320 petrol or 270 diesel~??? I dont recall a 320 CDi ML or a turbo on a 320 petrol.

jib

There is a 164 320cdi or if a 163 then a 320 petrol only

I think the OP should name the dealer

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
peter, please clarify, there is no turbo on a 2003 ML320 as jib rightly says - is it perhaps a later model with the V6 diesel engine???

if an earlier w163 ML, check the wiring harness at the ABS hydraulic unit, they are prone to chafe on the chassis or wheel arch liner.

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
its fagans autos . gotta pick a pocket or two road . and the manager is called mr have a guess . ok i dont know a great deal about these modern mercs ,but if it was my car i wouldent belive a word they say .same problem .and two different explanations . no way would i let them within a mile of the car ,or my wallet ,try another garage .and not a dealers. it sounds like a faulty electrical connection to me .

OP
P

Powerfull Pete

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2003
peter, please clarify, there is no turbo on a 2003 ML320 as jib rightly says - is it perhaps a later model with the V6 diesel engine???

if an earlier w163 ML, check the wiring harness at the ABS hydraulic unit, they are prone to chafe on the chassis or wheel arch liner.

Sorry to confuse. It is an ML 270 Diesel. With a brand new turbo recently fitted. It's actually my daughters car (hence the model confusion), but it's dads problem to sort!
Thank you

OP
P

Powerfull Pete

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2003
its fagans autos . gotta pick a pocket or two road . and the manager is called mr have a guess . ok i dont know a great deal about these modern mercs ,but if it was my car i wouldent belive a word they say .same problem .and two different explanations . no way would i let them within a mile of the car ,or my wallet ,try another garage .and not a dealers. it sounds like a faulty electrical connection to me .

I hear you! I think the local auto electrician will be hearing from me.
Thanks for the input
Cheers
Peter.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
firstly, there are no electrical items on the turbo at all - none. it is all mechanical, so the explanation you were apparently initially given was bogus.

secondly, check that wiring loom as i suggested!

good luck.

Roxie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class 350CDI 2012
Sounds like a chaffed wire from a wheel speed sensor to me. If the control unit loses the speed signal from one wheel it thinks that the wheel has locked up and tries to release the brake.

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
if i was you ,if you are getting the same problem and the dealers are saying its caused by something else now ,i would be back to them inform them i would be getting an independent decision on the work carried out by them on the car .and if found that unnessasery work was carried out ,that you woul be seeking recompense from them . after all it wasent a back street concern you went to ,it was a firstclass dealership with all the technical knowledge , diagnostic equipment and fully trained qualified mercedes engineers and as such should be able to diagnose a fault ,and effect a good and propper repair . i mean first job 16 hundred quid, guess number 2 over 2 grand for a main dealer terrible .but then again they still seem to think merc owners are loaded ,they may have been at one time ,nowadays many normal ex mondeo owners are running mercs there that common on the road with all the cheap chuccy there is

Last edited:
OP
P

Powerfull Pete

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2003
firstly, there are no electrical items on the turbo at all - none. it is all mechanical, so the explanation you were apparently initially given was bogus.

secondly, check that wiring loom as i suggested!

good luck.

Hi Alex
Thank you for your input. When they diagnosed the "turbo problem" I did strongley argue that there were no electrical components on a turbo. They said if it did not fox the problem they would refit the original parts. The old turbo has now "gone missing" from there stores.
I will be collecting the car in the morning.
Thanks again, kind regards
Peter

OP
P

Powerfull Pete

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
ml 270 2003
if i was you ,if you are getting the same problem and the dealers are saying its caused by something else now ,i would be back to them inform them i would be getting an independent decision on the work carried out by them on the car .and if found that unnessasery work was carried out ,that you woul be seeking recompense from them . after all it wasent a back street concern you went to ,it was a firstclass dealership with all the technical knowledge , diagnostic equipment and fully trained qualified mercedes engineers and as such should be able to diagnose a fault ,and effect a good and propper repair . i mean first job 16 hundred quid, guess number 2 over 2 grand for a main dealer terrible .but then again they still seem to think merc owners are loaded ,they may have been at one time ,nowadays many normal ex mondeo owners are running mercs there that common on the road with all the cheap chuccy there is

Sound advice, thank you.

mandrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 c250 d
Hi Alex
Thank you for your input. When they diagnosed the "turbo problem" I did strongley argue that there were no electrical components on a turbo. They said if it did not fox the problem they would refit the original parts. The old turbo has now "gone missing" from there stores.
I will be collecting the car in the morning.
Thanks again, kind regards
Peter
if they cannot find the old turbo to replace ,then they will have to leave the new one on wont they .and unless they are willing to replace the orig one , no charge demand the keys and drive away i would .

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom