BMW 730d Any Good?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I would be a fan of the 730d myself although the Audi A8 would be my first choice..
a friend has one, he previously had an S Class and is now very much pro BMW...
Ive driven a few and have yet to feel totally at home in one..
I havent heard of any downsides or common faults as yet... Would stay away from run flat tyres as they are a bollocks and should only be used on the side of boats...

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Anyone driven one of these? I am starting to see quite a few of the facelift models on Autotrader at good sub £10k prices.

Am looking for a 100k+ one or two owner max from new ideally with full BMW SH.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ry=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=201152438202944

My 1988 735iSE was a very fine and robust car which ''died'' last summer of too much corrosion (neglect on my part.....not the car's fault) in and around the rear off side wing......it had done 265k miles.
BMW make the best diesel engines and if the later 7 series is as good as was my E32 then they have to be well worth consideration.

Mic

stevieb15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
98 r129 sl500,90 W126 500SE,03 CLK 320 Avant Convertible
I would be a fan of the 730d myself although the Audi A8 would be my first choice..
a friend has one, he previously had an S Class and is now very much pro BMW...
Ive driven a few and have yet to feel totally at home in one..
I havent heard of any downsides or common faults as yet... Would stay away from run flat tyres as they are a bollocks and should only be used on the side of boats...[/

My 530d all started to go tits up after 100k miles, turbo, injectors, something called swirl flaps, abs pump, I think the amount of work done on the diesels for refinement and performance has destroyed long term reliability.
All the problems I had are well known in 6 cylinder BMW diesels.

sl steve

Reaction score
Website
WWW.AMSTYRES.CO.UK
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2004
white elephant

just sold my 730d sport 55 plate huge drop in value lost loads of cash bmw s 7 series is the big white elephant ? but a nice drive :rolleyes:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
My 1988 735iSE was a very fine and robust car which ''died'' last summer of too much corrosion (neglect on my part.....not the car's fault) in and around the rear off side wing......it had done 265k miles.
BMW make the best diesel engines and if the later 7 series is as good as was my E32 then they have to be well worth consideration.

Mic

BMW diesel engines are very very similar to MB s. There is no difference in reliability.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
the 3.0 derv bm engine is not as reliable as it should be and as has already been pointed out there can be some massive bills to pay if it goes wrong , i had a 745 for 2 years , massive road presence comfy and as many toys as a man could want ! buy a sport model as the seats are better

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
My 530d all started to go tits up after 100k miles, turbo, injectors, something called swirl flaps, abs pump, I think the amount of work done on the diesels for refinement and performance has destroyed long term reliability.
All the problems I had are well known in 6 cylinder BMW diesels.

You can buy a modified manifold that removes the swirl flaps. There is a filter on the turbo that needs changed, a lot of places don't bother. Injectors fail on all marques of diesel, a problem more on MB 270cdi's and I6 320cdi's.

The gearbox fluid on a BMW needs changed like anything else, BMW say it doesn't.

MB diesels have swirl flaps, ok they don't break off like BMWs but the manifolds still can clog (thanks to EGR) meaning you need new ones. This apparently is very common on Audi's V6 engine and manifold replacement needed quite early on. I know this because I was looking at getting a A6 3.0TDi Quattro as a very cheap one came up for sale and I was tempted, but it was too dear for me.

I have driven a 730d, its too slow. Too much car for the engine and its a gruffer engine at lower revs than the V6CDi although at higher engine speeds it makes a pleasant cultured roar, whereas the V6CDi sounds like a van going apesh1t.

If you go for a 730d, it has a ZF tranmission. Bar the 5g box, this is vastly superior to the Mercedes 7g tronic in smoothness, time change gear and spread of ratios. However, BMW do operate a sealed for life policy and from my mates experience of a 100k mile 545i, this is a major hassle as his sometimes won't change gear, goes into limp, it leaks ATF. Its lunched.

Body work, the BMW's is better and the doors have lovely hinges that allow the doors to open and be held at any Angle. Its a nicer cabin than a 220 and it feels more luxurious, but the 220 wafts down the road more effortlessly than the E65 (driven a 220 500) and is easier to place on the road than the tank like E65.

I might be tempted to look for an Audi A8 although I cannot personally comment, but I hear thats actually the best of them. If not I would maybe look for a 221 which is the default car in that segment.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
A8 is highly recommended.....and the good thing is they don't rust.
Some day I may however open the garage door and a pile of white powder will be there instead of the Audi

P1040649.jpg

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
You'll find all large flagship models are relative bargains after a few years as most avoid them thinking they are too expensive and unnecessary.

A friend had a 2003 745i and could only put up with it for 3 months as there were so many problems. Neighbour is a chauffer and he runs a 2006 730d, he's said a number of times his worst mistake was going from an S320cdi into a 730d.

OP
as400

as400

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E350cdi
Thanks for the replies, I have also considered the Audi A6 Quattro 3.0tdi and the Audi A8 which I think also has that engine though I'm guessing the diesel 4.2 must be a monster.

Back to Autotrader.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The other big luxury motor that I would consider...The citroen C6.. great prices and a fantastic ride.........

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The A8 is quite light and the 3.0TDi more than ample.

I should know, I raced one on the German Autobahn at speeds above 130mph and it was fast as ****

cars on the autobahn are not always what they purport to be. De-limiting is not that uncommon, and chipping/mapping can make an appreciable difference over the standard spec.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
cars on the autobahn are not always what they purport to be. De-limiting is not that uncommon, and chipping/mapping can make an appreciable difference over the standard spec.

I wouldn't say it was chipped, it didn't leave me behind but I didn't get ahead, this was a speed range of 120-150mph and a very long gap between the two of us (for obvious reasons). Roughly, he mirrored my speed. I would have expected the car to be a 4.2TDi as an E320cdi should be faster as its a class in size down. To my horror it was a 3.0Tdi. It might have been mapped who knows, mine is a standard car and can reach 155mph (just). Remember the Audi is Aluminium and light for its class. So power/weight ratio is probably very similar.

I'm going to be revisiting Audi/VW/Skoda as well as BMW. Since having this car, I can see its not all green grass with a Mercedes.

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
The other big luxury motor that I would consider...The citroen C6.. great prices and a fantastic ride.........

The ride and comfort of these is supposed to be second to none, and you don't see many on the road. A lorry driver I know has one after being badly let down by a £44k brand new Jag XJ diesel.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
The other big luxury motor that I would consider...The Citroen C6.. great prices and a fantastic ride.........

absolutely - the big Peugeots and Citroens offer excellent value for money in the aftermarket. They are excellent cars - I have had over 100K miles out of a couple of Peugeots with no faults whatsoever.

They are strong on accommodation, comfort and luggage space. Ride and roadholding are excellent too, and I don't recall any rust!

Top Bottom