Proud new SL 65 Owner!

Mr_Rouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 65 AMG
Hello all

Well after much deliberation on matters I won't bore you with I went for it... and here is the result!!

A few questions since buying it that I'd appreciate any help with... not sure if that's restricted to SL65 advice or not!

1) The chap I bought it from had all new brake disks and pads put on it... One of them is squeaking quite loudly at the front when you approach standstill and he says the garage put it down to because they're new and it will go as they wear in... hmm?

2) This thing has a very annoying rattle which I have now discovered is a jammed DVD in the front unit - local dealer said they wouldn't mess around with it so can anyone point me in the direction of someone who may be able to get this disk out.. could be a bit of a job as I understand it... or someone who had the same trouble

3) Sat Nav... is there no way of having it set up so you can see what time you are expected to arrive etc? I'd of thought this would just be an option but cannot find it anywhere. -I might just be being stupid here

4) Bluetooth.. is there a guide to this anywhere? I have my phone paired with it but not sure what I can do from there? This car had the Nokia phone set up installed with it and not sure if that's stopping anything else working? Again, might just be me being thick

5) Finally, do Mercedes not like you using your own CD's that you burn? I have the CD mag and it will play them but after a LONG delay... or is there a certain brand which does work better? - I do have the original version of the songs ;)

I'll buy anyone a few beers who can answer that lot!

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• 392243_10150582731100169_751050168_11041280_1244046418_n.jpg
    392243_10150582731100169_751050168_11041280_1244046418_n.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 396975_10150582729645169_751050168_11041276_2057136411_n.jpg
    396975_10150582729645169_751050168_11041276_2057136411_n.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 397008_10150582730155169_751050168_11041279_1904406530_n.jpg
    397008_10150582730155169_751050168_11041279_1904406530_n.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 408771_10150582729975169_751050168_11041278_1211259531_n.jpg
    408771_10150582729975169_751050168_11041278_1211259531_n.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 87

SSR S500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2002/V8
Not sure I can help with the issues your having with your caer but I was once told that CD lazers that read your CD's struggle to recognise copied CD's and in time can cause problems. Not sure if this is true though.

I'm sure others will be able to help with your other queries.

Stunning car btw, looks like a proper batmobile.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
1) The chap I bought it from had all new brake disks and pads put on it... One of them is squeaking quite loudly at the front when you approach standstill and he says the garage put it down to because they're new and it will go as they wear in... hmm?

3) Sat Nav... is there no way of having it set up so you can see what time you are expected to arrive etc? I'd of thought this would just be an option but cannot find it anywhere. -I might just be being stupid here

4) Bluetooth.. is there a guide to this anywhere? I have my phone paired with it but not sure what I can do from there? This car had the Nokia phone set up installed with it and not sure if that's stopping anything else working? Again, might just be me being thick

5) Finally, do Mercedes not like you using your own CD's that you burn? I have the CD mag and it will play them but after a LONG delay... or is there a certain brand which does work better? - I do have the original version of the songs ;)

Thanks all!!

Brakes could well be just a case of bedding in - depends how many miles since fitted & how driven in that time- pads can get a glaze. Might be wortha few fast runs with hard braking

Satnav - don't know how old it is, but mine has a button above the display that says something like "info" - that shows eta

Uncertain about bluetooth from your description but often the best way is unpair everything & start from scratch

CDs -go for the best CD makes, not cheapies - should be ok (mine is anyway!)

Enjoy it !!

OP
M

Mr_Rouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 65 AMG
Thanks yeah I have the info button - I thought they'd just put it on the side!

Don't have to twist my arm to do that with the brakes!!

Paul

A

andy@pcd-ltd

The thing i have found with the 65 brakes is they are quite noisy

I have had a lot of dealings with mb germany over this when i worked at mb over here and their answer is they are high performance brakes there is not a lot you can do with it.

You need to find a local indi to take the car to and they should be able to strip the comand down and take the disc out.

On some of the comands there is an option to have the time arrival etc displayed its just hard to explain where it would be.
Might have to have a look on mine and right down the step by step as i do it.

If you are trying to use the bluetooth on the comand forget it as this function doesnt work like how you would think. It is only there to pair an ear piece so you can have private calls when the phone is connected.
With the phone cradle is there a cable attached to the bottom of it

I have found with burnt discs they have to be expensive ones and burnt at a very slow speed 2x and this sometimes works

Peter De La Mare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
15 reg E63, 14 reg Smart Passion and 64reg Caterham Levante.
Hmmm, I find myself insanely jealous. :(

OP
M

Mr_Rouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 65 AMG
Yeah £95 to fill!!! Cheers BP..

Well the Bluetooth option has vanished now along with WAP and Mail... not sure what I done there..I did a reset but still not there.. Bizarre..

Hmm the brake is very loud I noticed with the window down.. as in people would look when they hear it.

The phone cradle is under the arm rest and nothing is visible other than the cradle itself..

A

andy@pcd-ltd

With the bluetooth i wouldnt even worry about it if its the one on the comand unit itself.

Might take a little while to bedin as said above.

If thats the case with the cradle you can go and get a bluetooth cradle to use with your phone.

Did the car come with a warranty

OP
M

Mr_Rouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 65 AMG
Unfortunately not as I bought it from an individual.... I think I will get a retro fit to a newer version if thats possible..

Im a bit worried about the owner.. seemed to think the car should of been serviced every 2 years or 10k miles whatever came first!!

A

andy@pcd-ltd

Do you mean have the comand retro fitted to a newer version

Yeah i would be as it is every year or 9500 miles

What does the service book say has it been done every year

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello all

Well after much deliberation on matters I won't bore you with I went for it... and here is the result!!

A few questions since buying it that I'd appreciate any help with... not sure if that's restricted to SL65 advice or not!

It can take a few hundred miles for the brakes to settle in, and easy to get a squeal for the first few hundred miles, it is the gas escaping from the pads, one can only assume they were fitted correctly

2) This thing has a very annoying rattle which I have now discovered is a jammed DVD in the front unit - local dealer said they wouldn't mess around with it so can anyone point me in the direction of someone who may be able to get this disk out.. could be a bit of a job as I understand it... or someone who had the same trouble

It depends on the year of the car as Comand 2 was the first one, and these are prone to getting faulty eject mechanisms.

There are firms on Ebay that fis them for a flat fee including a new pick up for £125

What you have for ETA depends again on the year of the car, they went wide screen APS in 2004

Nothing built in but you can get a Parrot

Only use the best TDK disc with a good reflection properties, if it is taking time to find tracks it is have a job to read them as well, if you get the unit repaired with a new pick up the ones doing it may set the pick up gain a little higher, for when they leave the factory it is set very low

Thanks all!!

So before we go further the year of the car unless you know if you have the DX or APS comand

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately not as I bought it from an individual.... I think I will get a retro fit to a newer version if thats possible..

Im a bit worried about the owner.. seemed to think the car should of been serviced every 2 years or 10k miles whatever came first!!

So you may just have the Comand 2,, it would cost more than £2500 to change it as all the standard Bose will not work with the newer versions, the cars up to end of 2003 were Odb2 where as the newer cars use the MOST system

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
With the jammed disc , if you slide a butter knife into the slot about 5 cm and apply a little downward pressure with it as you press eject , it can make it come out.

The rollers get a little lazy and the downward pressure just gets them to grab the disc.

Got the disc out of my comand :)

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Regarding stripping the comand unit and getting out your disk, you can count on the expertise of Alfie and Richard. Find below their online store.

Here. They are wizards in terms of doing anything to your Mercedes i.e Retrofit, upgrade etc. Their number is 01276 474900 and they are situated at 58, Guildford Road, Lightwater, Surrey, GU18 5SD. About 1 minutes drive from Junction 3 of the M3 motorway.

Hope this helps your query atleast regarding the comand unit. Btw, you have got a nice bullet proof car and sick alloy wheels. Enjoy! :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Regarding stripping the comand unit and getting out your disk, you can count on the expertise of Alfie and Richard. Find below their online store.

Here. They are wizards in terms of doing anything to your Mercedes i.e Retrofit, upgrade etc. Their number is 01276 474900 and they are situated at 58, Guildford Road, Lightwater, Surrey, GU18 5SD. About 1 minutes drive from Junction 3 of the M3 motorway.

Hope this helps your query atleast regarding the comand unit. Btw, you have got a nice bullet proof car and sick alloy wheels. Enjoy! :)

They do not do repairs to the comand units, they install them yes. They are simple to remove from a 230

Howard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 500 / A 190
AFAIK , they can perform repairs to the Comands.

Mark was talking to me about it a few months ago.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AFAIK , they can perform repairs to the Comands.

Mark was talking to me about it a few months ago.

This is something very new then, they certainly did not the last time it was asked on here, maybe they have someone that can do it for them on a trade basis, the same way as I did most of my work

I have just been on their web site and I can find not 1 word about any service offered

Last edited:
OP
M

Mr_Rouse

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 65 AMG
Thanks for your help all

I went out tonight and the Comand had a complete meltdown where nothing worked and it kept resetting itself...

However after going to the cinema all seemed well again? Very bizarre.... I will be out there very early with my butter knife and see if I can do it.

Service book reads every 2 years so seems like the message has been passed down the line!!

The car is a 54 plate so if im reading that as its Bose I may be a bit stuck re upgrades unless I do the lot...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom