Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
OK so they are talking about the E30 and E 46 and they were current till around 2000.

Funny thing is rust,,my brothers E46 is mint and it stays out

I know. It is so odd. There are 210s round here with no rust at all, not garaged and near the sea. Others have real problems. Same with Beemers apparently.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know. It is so odd. There are 210s round here with no rust at all, not garaged and near the sea. Others have real problems. Same with Beemers apparently.

For the last 3 years I have been meaning to treat some stone chips on the E46,,they have not gone rusty either.

Yes I do some odds and ends on a beautiful 210 estate, it stands out all day in Lyme not that far from the sea. This one is green,,there is a difference in paints, red is the weakest, followed by other colours in the same family. Though they were all clear lacquered, any move ment in the sub coats could be a reason,,who knows

sweeper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 Viano 2.2 R350cdi
Don't just think it is Mercedes who had problems with rust after the change to water based paints. Visit a BMW forum: -
http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=39921&PN=1

believe me, i always have a look around mercedes and BMW's in garages, if the Merc is before 2003 it will have rust, the BMW on the other will almost certainly not unless it's about 15yrs old, my Merc was 4yrs old when it had it's first rust repair and i've been chasing it ever since, absolutely disgraceful and with out doubt the worst cars for rusting in the last 15yrs or so bar none.
People on this link are talking minor rust on ten year old plus cars, for christ sake you can't compare this to the absolute crap rust prevention on Mercedes cars, let's not beat about the bush here and try and convince ourselves that the MB is not as bad as it is, I aslo have a 2001 VW Golf, similar mileage (in excess of 170,000) it has a couple of blisters in the paint where stones have hit (rear wheel arch front section) and that is it, to be expected from a ten year old? yes I think so, but new tailgate and wings before a car is six years old, no.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
believe me, i always have a look around mercedes and BMW's in garages, if the Merc is before 2003 it will have rust, the BMW on the other will almost certainly not unless it's about 15yrs old, my Merc was 4yrs old when it had it's first rust repair and i've been chasing it ever since, absolutely disgraceful and with out doubt the worst cars for rusting in the last 15yrs or so bar none.
People on this link are talking minor rust on ten year old plus cars, for christ sake you can't compare this to the absolute crap rust prevention on Mercedes cars, let's not beat about the bush here and try and convince ourselves that the MB is not as bad as it is, I aslo have a 2001 VW Golf, similar mileage (in excess of 170,000) it has a couple of blisters in the paint where stones have hit (rear wheel arch front section) and that is it, to be expected from a ten year old? yes I think so, but new tailgate and wings before a car is six years old, no.

Yes MB did try and make some savings at our expense, and it has caused a lot of people so much heart ache and financial loss. all of their silly wording and rules in trying to wriggle out of putting things straight are a joke and are very poor.

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
Audi started galvanising in the late 1980's with the jelly mould Audi 80/90 and Porsche as early as 1977.;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi started galvanising in the late 1980's with the jelly mould Audi 80/90 and Porsche as early as 1977.;)

And are they all rust free ??????????

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
And are they all rust free ??????????

you will only see rust after poorly executed repairs, typically with non-galvanised pattern parts. The Ur quattro was (unfortunately) not galvanised. Audi increased the warranty on bodies of galvanised cars from the original 10 years to 12 years. Which suggests confidence in the proceedure. Incidently Daimler Benz owned Audi until the mid 1960's.

R

Ringway

You have been wrongly informed. You only need a brief search of the various threads to see that what you have been told is quite wrong. MB have spent a fortune putting matters right, have frequently repaired, and for free, cars without fullMBSH and have done so on cars at least back to 1998. You'll find them on this forum and the other main UK one and on the US forums.

He has been wrongly informed.

My S210 had badly rusted wings when I bought it from a non-MB garage in Chester. I got a good deal (£2000 off the screen price) mainly because of the corrosion and banked on being able to have the problem remedied under the paintwork warranty.

The first owner (**4, years) had 6, "B" services carried out on the car.

The second owner (1, year) had 1, service (probably just oil and filter) at a local non-MB garage.

**The car then went into the trade for a year and wouldn't sell due to the corrosion.

I took the car to MB Macclesfield and requested a warranty claim (I ordered a "B" sevice and did give the impression I'd use their services in the future) and was sent to the bodyshop. I'd owned the car for just one week.

In the bodyshop office there was a notice on the wall stipulating that all cars having corrosion warranty claims must have full MBSH and must have been owned for at least six months by the owner making a claim.

I (politely) argued that I couldn't maintain the cars full MBSH before I owned it, and that the rust was so bad for a quality car.

The bodyshop manager agreed to my request for two new front wings and he also spotted a small amount of corrosion on the tailgate (I hadn't noticed this) and agreed to replace that as well, free of charge.
The only cost I incurred was around £50 for the stop light at the top of the tailgate because apparantly these lights always break when removed.

The repairs took 2-3 weeks to complete, but I could live with that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CITYBOY

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class C180 Blueeffiffiency 1.8 W204 {2012}

Just a point regarding your statement,"if the Merc is before 2003 it will have rust" incorrect, I have a november 2002 C180 without any rust at all> It is a bit silly to make sweeping statements like that without foundation,as hawk says galvanising was phased in at end of 2002,

John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a point regarding your statement,"if the Merc is before 2003 it will have rust" incorrect, I have a november 2002 C180 without any rust at all> It is a bit silly to make sweeping statements like that without foundation,as hawk says galvanising was phased in at end of 2002,

John

You are very lucky if you have a non rusty car, please check the dates again for galvanizing it not 2002. Sadly there have been loads of cars on here as late as 2006-7 with rust

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

John

I'm impressed...it only took you 10 months to think of that answer. But, it will be lost on Sweeper since he hasn't been on here since last August.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Believe me they still rust, I had two MBs in last week, an 05 211 E class and an 03 C class both cars had rust on the rear wheel arch pinch weld flange, So the galvanising is nowhere near as good as Peugeot or Audi.. I really cannot understand why Mb cannot get this right..
Only paintwork on both cars was a brushed on touch up..for sale.. over the rusty bits...

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
You are very lucky if you have a non rusty car, please check the dates again for galvanizing it not 2002. Sadly there have been loads of cars on here as late as 2006-7 with rust

Worth re-reading the sticky on galvanising. It did start in 2002 as he says.

Hard to keep any sense of perspective on this topic. Having rust is so horrid that people naturally get very emotional. The truth is that many 210's and others of that era do have rust; and many don't. There are some round here although in salt air by the sea, and they are in fine condition still. Others we know are bad. We know from the BMW forums that they had similar problems. We know that MB spent a packet here and abroad putting right large numbers of owners' cars free of charge.

We know of a small number of cars with rust post 2003. And we know of plenty of cars post 2003 with no rust issues.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Worth re-reading the sticky on galvanising. It did start in 2002 as he says.

Hard to keep any sense of perspective on this topic. Having rust is so horrid that people naturally get very emotional. The truth is that many 210's and others of that era do have rust; and many don't. There are some round here although in salt air by the sea, and they are in fine condition still. Others we know are bad. We know from the BMW forums that they had similar problems. We know that MB spent a packet here and abroad putting right large numbers of owners' cars free of charge.

We know of a small number of cars with rust post 2003. And we know of plenty of cars post 2003 with no rust issues.

Talking about any rust that may be on any BMW is of no relevance here.

We know of many post 2003 cars with rust and that includes 7 x 230's from active members here.

As to what it has cost MB, that is their problem, it has also cost many owners much more in terms of stress and money.

You say that owners get emotional, I would use the term horrified, shock and disbelief that any car could go like it in the present age.

champo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML280/2009/2897
Galvanising

What is the position with the ML range

Top Bottom