correct oil for high mileage merc

gbv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e220cdi avantgarde
E220 cdi avantgarde - automatic diesel. Has covered 105,000 miles.
One mechanic says with a higher mileage car I should use 15W40 semi-synthetic oil. It is better for a high mileage vehicle than the one specified - which could damage the engine. Another mechanic friend disagrees. He says I should stick to the recommended Oil - High mileage should not affect the Oil required.

Any views on this ???

Also is fuel economy affected by which Oil is used ????

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
At 105000 miles, it's only just run in!
Stick with the recommended oil.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above you stay with the standard 229.3 or later fully synthetic w5 or 10

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
And to answer your second question - yes, fuel economy is affected by the oil used.

Ask a professional 'economy run' driver. When they prepare their cars,they drain all the oils and put in extra-thin stuff - gearbox, rear axle (if there is one!), wheel bearings, engine etc.

But that's extreme. In every day use, any minute difference between, say, 5/40 and 15/40 is ignorable.

Baz

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)

:lol:..thats low miles .... 285,000 is slightly high mileage:lol:

same advice as above :cool:

ENJOY the car:D

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
One mechanic says with a higher mileage car I should use 15W40 semi-synthetic oil. It is better for a high mileage vehicle than the one specified - which could damage the engine. Another mechanic friend disagrees. He says I should stick to the recommended Oil - High mileage should not affect the Oil required.

Any views on this ???

Also is fuel economy affected by which Oil is used ????

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

As others have said, stick to the specified oil. Fully synthetics are extremely durable, easily outlast the oil change intervals we tend to give them, and provide excellent lubrication.

MB (and most manufacturer's) handbooks usually give excellent advice on the use of their vehicles in extreme conditions, and how to vary the schedule for filters and lubricants. I am sure if they felt that a change of lubricant specification was advisable with higher mileage, they would specify what change was to be recommended and at what mileage.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As above really. I use 0w40 Mobil 1 in my 112,000 mile car.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I'm running the standard stuff in my 130k E270.
I suspect that mechanic was 'old'?
It used to be a practice to change oils at higher mileages many years ago but not any more afaik. Wear rates are much lower than they used to be. In the old days with 100k on the clock you'd be expecting a major rebuild imminently. Now, most of us have more than 100k on our cars. So, would I change the oil type on a low mileage one like yours? No, just stick to good quality 229.3/5

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
As above really. I use 0w40 Mobil 1 in my 112,000 mile car.

Very good spec oil C. I would not use a 15-40 oil. Clearly as most engine wear is done when the car is cool, you want an oil that has a low vicosity when cold. The 0w part of the mobil one formula ensures this. At 15w its probably too viscous for cold weather cold engine protection. The 40 part ensures when the engine is hot, the oil does not go too thin that it loses its protective qualities.

In a climate like ours, we do need this. 5w-30 shell Helix is recommended for Mercedes cars and it doesn't have the operational range of Mobil 1 )w-40.

Top Bottom