i feel a crazy idea brewing in my mind.......

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
as finances are very tight and i need a 'practical' car to ferry the family around, i am toying with the idea of having something 'fun' for myself to drive. i do, however, need to consider a few factors, such as fuel costs, insurance costs etc.

not so mad so far BUT i was considering a complete SELF BUILD. not a kit car, entirely built by myself, albeit using existing components (engine, gearbox etc) from other vehicles

My first thought was to build something along the lines of an Aeriel Atom or a Caterham type of vehicle, basically a road legal go-kart BUT then i started to wonder about powerplants, layout, seats, etc.

i get these idea's when im bored, im afraid. any thoughts greatfully accepted. should i use a car or bike engine? any potential pitfalls/regulations to watch out for?

or am i just going completely bonkers?

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
You're completely bonkers IMO :)

carloss

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
jaguar xk
as finances are very tight and i need a 'practical' car to ferry the family around, i am toying with the idea of having something 'fun' for myself to drive. i do, however, need to consider a few factors, such as fuel costs, insurance costs etc

The only things you need to consider Pete are above

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have always believed http://www.bangernomics.com/Bangernomics.html is the way to go if money is tight.

i would be keeping my focus. i was toying with getting a motorbike but i would need to take all relavant tests etc, hence why i was looking to build a road going 'go-kart' to have some fun with when im not ferrying family around, much like would be the case with a motorbike.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the locust is just the type of thing i was thinking of!

long story short, im bored and trying to think of things to do, and where id have something fun at the end of it!

dizzy lizzy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL129 (diesel),2 x 124 250D,190d 2.5
you are completely bonkers Pete.....

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
you are completely bonkers Pete.....

thats what i was afraid of, Lizzy. too much time on my hands and its having an affect on my mind

DB autos

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sls in my dreams
It's a illness called mid life crisess get the bike alot cheeper and you don't have to take any one with you.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
A completed kit car might be a good 'advert' for potential employers. But they always cost far more than one first imagines.

Troon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A big one
as finances are very tight and i need a 'practical' car to ferry the family around

i would be keeping my focus.

If finances are truly very tight, then you are already sorted. Save your cash in case tough times continue. You can have a lot of fun and expend a lot of time whilst getting fitter on a bicycle at much lower cost.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Getting a motor bike and having a family to care for is not a good idea..in many cases they may end up having to care for you...as you can tell I love motor bikes ha..if only ..

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A completed kit car might be a good 'advert' for potential employers. But they always cost far more than one first imagines.

one of my thoughts, hence why i was also thinking of building my own rather than a kit.

if im honest, i dont think its really a mid life crisis. its more a case of having previously owned an E300TD which was a quick car, then a ford Puma, which again was a quick car and handled brilliantly, and now i have the focus which is a great car BUT its just SO SLOW!!!

the idea of having something different appeals, especially as it can be built to suit me, ie RWD, Manual gearbox, no traction control, etc

or perhaps ive finally gone crazy!

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Save your cash in case tough times continue. You can have a lot of fun and expend a lot of time whilst getting fitter on a bicycle at much lower cost.

fair point, but following a knee injury which damaged the cartilage a few years ago, this can, currently aggravate the problem. I am awaiting yet more physio and other similar 'treatments' but my GP informed me that the only total cure is an eventual joint replacement, so for now i continue life as best i can.

Palmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C250 TD Sport
Why not make a speedy diesel?

Fairly good economy off boost, mega power when on boost :D

[youtube]xKEXbY9Se7k&feature=related[/youtube]

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I think it is a crazy idea but the world is full of crazy ideas that turned out to be good.

My understanding is that if you build anything with four wheels, kit or complete self build, it will have to get through a Single Vehicle Approval examination. A three wheeler would be regarded as a motorcycle and needs a lesser (and cheaper) degree of certification. I would start by researching this area before you cut any metal, particularly as your finances are stretched already.

Two wheels at the front with a single rear wheel providing traction is a recipe for a lot of fun, look at Morgan re-introducing their 3 wheeler at £30,000 a pop. They have already sold quite a few.

OP
turbopete

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why not make a speedy diesel?

Fairly good economy off boost, mega power when on boost :D

[youtube]xKEXbY9Se7k&feature=related[/youtube]

i wonder what the MOT test would say about all the smoke though? (and i DONT mean from the tyres!!)

Palmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 C250 TD Sport
i wonder what the MOT test would say about all the smoke though? (and i DONT mean from the tyres!!)

You can run a higher boost to clear the smoke @ WOT

Run a % of veg oil, or limit the throttle travel to stop it smoking for the test

;)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom