Newbie wants to buy E class

divad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 elite
Hi

Got my first post in the wrong section so hope this is OK.

I'm considering buying my first Merc to replace an aging Omega Elite Estate.

I tow a caravan so I thought a well specified E320 Diesel Estate would fit the bill with all the toys I wanted. After reading the forum I came down on a 05 0r 55 plate with around 70000 miles as being in my price range. Then I read the Honest John link from here and it frightened me to death. What is the possible 11k pounds bill he mentions, and where can I find info on some of the faults he outlined? What are the chances of getting any of the faults at this mileage? Is it worth going to a 2006 facelift to get rid of some of these faults and does this year really solve them, I didn't really want to spend that much.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes get the face lift, then little chances of a rad failure putting glycol in the gear box, no SBC brakes, better bodies.

They are a fine car and welcome to the forum :D

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
55 reg can rust, mine has. Galvanised my back side.

The £11k bill will be a dealer one for the valeo rad/coolant leak into the gearbox recking it. I know it's xpensive but a recon box job will be £2k. Otherwise it's just rust and odd injector issue. However the facelift is better and if it means a 220 so be it, it will tow ok and is extremely reliable

OP
D

divad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 elite
Hi

I believe the Valeo prob was solved by 2005, so is there nothing as expensive on the 2005s, other than of course engine blow up or some other bad luck.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could avoid the expensive SBC brakes by going facelift, re the glycol problem it was supposed to have been clear from 30-09-03 but many cars came through with the fault for 2 years after that date.

Richard Elliot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 E270CDi
Make sure the radiator has BEHR written on it...and think about a 270 if you're getting an older model, it is powerful enough, very economical, and seems to give fewer problems.

Last edited:

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
You could avoid the expensive SBC brakes by going facelift, re the glycol problem it was supposed to have been clear from 30-09-03 but many cars came through with the fault for 2 years after that date.

I love SBC but it's very expensive to replace the pump if the dealer will not pay for it.

Facelift means newer car etc and just less hassle

OP
D

divad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 elite
Whats SBC and BEHR?

OP
D

divad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vauxhall Omega 3.0 elite
A friend has a 270 2003, 03 plate, and I believe he had the glycol in gearbox problem though MB sorted it at no cost, could be wrong.

Dave

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SBC is the sensonic brake system that uses a pump to supply the brakes with pressure, all done with an artificial brake pedal, it was a good system in the way it works, but the pumps have a limited life and though they have been replaced free up to now, they are now charging for them and could be well over £1k.

BEHR is a manufacture of radiators, these have not leaked so far where as the Valeo rads had a manufacturing fault. this was sorted but some still came through.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A friend has a 270 2003, 03 plate, and I believe he had the glycol in gearbox problem though MB sorted it at no cost, could be wrong.

Dave

Yes they used to but this all stopped back in about 07

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I struggle to see how anyone who isn't certifiable could pay 11k on repairs. You could be unlucky and need a gearbox but even then, 11k would get you an engine.
The vast majority are impeccable and very few need much at all. I'd personally avoid anything pre mid 2004 as they can be troublesome to be fair, but later ones are fine and post facelift are even better.

krotov71

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211
Hi

Got my first post in the wrong section so hope this is OK.

I'm considering buying my first Merc to replace an aging Omega Elite Estate.

I tow a caravan so I thought a well specified E320 Diesel Estate would fit the bill with all the toys I wanted. After reading the forum I came down on a 05 0r 55 plate with around 70000 miles as being in my price range. Then I read the Honest John link from here and it frightened me to death. What is the possible 11k pounds bill he mentions, and where can I find info on some of the faults he outlined? What are the chances of getting any of the faults at this mileage? Is it worth going to a 2006 facelift to get rid of some of these faults and does this year really solve them, I didn't really want to spend that much.

Dave

Mercedes designed to milk us to death!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

John Martin

Reaction score
Website
www.whitehillfoot.com
Your Mercedes
MB Trac 900Turbo, Shogun, Transit, Mercedes 1995 E300D Converted to manual
Do not buy

I had the E320 cdi saloon 2000 model,upgrade the worst car I have ever had in my 46 yrs of driving. Be prepared for large bills, electronic problems,switch problems, and rust..selling them is not easy.sold it and lost a packet,but glad to get rid of it car had done a genuine 65000 miles ,, As they say Buyer beware!!

I reverted back to a 1995 W124 E300D changed it to a 5speed manual removed all the EGR stuff. drives a dream..and I can fix it..
John

Mcobinad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 Designo Black paint, R500 W251, CL600 W216
Hello & welcome. Hope you're enjoying your time here. :)

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Hello and welcome.

You only need to be aware of the f word...........

Facelift.

There are few problems and many smiles available with the f word.

There are loads around so choose wisely, based upon service history and option choice.

You could have mine, except (as a facelift) it's so brill that I'm not selling it.

Good luck.

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hello and welcome.

You could have mine, except (as a facelift) it's so brill that I'm not selling it.

Good luck.

Brilliant response John..
Facelifted versions are a very well sorted car..
I absolutely loved the sound system on mine and that was only a standard one..Not the Bose

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Hi,

You could get a car for less if you go for a large petrol engine. If your yearly mileage isn't high the difference in fuel will be low.

I have a 2004 E500 with SBC (which feels great in use). No rust and no radiator problems and would probably pull a caravan up a wall.

Don't let the bad reports worry you, nobody ever puts up notes saying that their car is good and reliable.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I had the E320 cdi saloon 2000 model,upgrade the worst car I have ever had in my 46 yrs of driving. Be prepared for large bills, electronic problems,switch problems, and rust..selling them is not easy.sold it and lost a packet,but glad to get rid of it car had done a genuine 65000 miles ,, As they say Buyer beware!!
John

Sorry but I find posts like this very frustrating. As is well documented, mb went down the pan between 1998 and didn't fully get their act back together until 2005. So, you (and I ) bought a 2000 e class and got trouble. In my case I bought mine a year old so most issues were done under warranty inc the rust. That said it was reliable enough but as they get older I can accept they become trouble.
However, this guy is looking for a 2005 w211. So as different to a 2000 210 as that is from your 124. Hence to warn him off on the basis of your experience is unhelpful.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom