SBC ADVISE NEEDED

laboudi

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270/2002/2.7L
I took my car to the stealer after getting the "service brake...visit workshop" fault. I thought it might be the SBC since the car is almost 10 years old and I was hoping, if it is a pump fault, to get replaced for free since the car is still within the ten year warranty period.

well........I was right and it turned out that the SBC pump needs to be replaced but the dealer told me that MB Germany agreed to only find 50% of the replacement cost leaving me with £950 bill.

I tried to negotiate with the dealer and asked if they can appeal MB Germany decision. The answer was negative. He told me that he can give me a discount as the frond brake pads and discs needs replacement as well bringing the bill down to £1150 instead of £1450.

Not sure what to do. I don't think the whole car worth more than £4k and it seems stupid to spend such an amount especially that some people on this forum and other forums have managed to get it replaced for free.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Hard for us to help, we cannot influence MBUK, sadly!

For the record, I am certain that there was never any such thing as a 10 year SBC warranty.
Mercedes have helped a lot over the years, with many replaced F.O.C - but there was never an official policy that was made public.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Alex there was no policy on this, the sad thing is this is not happening in the USA.

I wonder what the real price of the pump is, and how much an indie would charge to fit one

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I think my grievience would be that only a few month ago these were being done foc, they have now had a change of policy and are charging. :(

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
I wonder what the real price of the pump is, and how much an indie would charge to fit one

i would be interested to know the answer to this one too, long may our SBC pump continue

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think my grievience would be that only a few month ago these were being done foc, they have now had a change of policy and are charging. :(

yep..think i would feel a bit miffed if they "used" to be replaced F.O.C.:(

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The SBC debacle turned out to be a costly mistake for MB and now the owners of older cars are picking up the tab. Unfortunate but we all knew it would happen one day. The OP might be able to purchase a replacement pump from MB and have it fitted by an Indie, just a thought, this might save a few ££.

KNIGHT RIDER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320CDI 2007
I took my car to the stealer after getting the "service brake...visit workshop" fault. I thought it might be the SBC since the car is almost 10 years old and I was hoping, if it is a pump fault, to get replaced for free since the car is still within the ten year warranty period.

well........I was right and it turned out that the SBC pump needs to be replaced but the dealer told me that MB Germany agreed to only find 50% of the replacement cost leaving me with £950 bill.

I tried to negotiate with the dealer and asked if they can appeal MB Germany decision. The answer was negative. He told me that he can give me a discount as the frond brake pads and discs needs replacement as well bringing the bill down to £1150 instead of £1450.

Not sure what to do. I don't think the whole car worth more than £4k and it seems stupid to spend such an amount especially that some people on this forum and other forums have managed to get it replaced for free.

There is a company online called BBA REMAN i used them when i had a faulty ecu on the A-Class they do pump repairs also but word of advise they quote more over the phone than they do on Flea Bay they do buy it now price to repair or offer i got the a class sorted for £50 less doing it that way hope this hepls

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is a company online called BBA REMAN i used them when i had a faulty ecu on the A-Class they do pump repairs also but word of advise they quote more over the phone than they do on Flea Bay they do buy it now price to repair or offer i got the a class sorted for £50 less doing it that way hope this hepls

BBA have a very bad name, they take your money and then say cannot be done. This is also a critical safety component.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh ok hairy muff... i never had a issue but i only used them once

Lots on here have been taken for a ride with them, there are better firms like Actronics, but again this is still between Bosch and MB, any rights to parts needs to be given.

I seam to recall that the pump cost £800 or thats what MB are taking for it

KNIGHT RIDER

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML320CDI 2007
Lots on here have been taken for a ride with them, there are better firms like Actronics, but again this is still between Bosch and MB, any rights to parts needs to be given.

I seam to recall that the pump cost £800 or thats what MB are taking for it

Well this is one of the reasons we join forums to gain insight into what we love i wont use them again now im hearing all this

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

you saved 50 quid? .... Sandbanks you say;)..nice place sandbanks:D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom