New SLK

IJE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
Evening All,
I am interested in purchasing a brand new SLK next year for a special birthday. I am a little overwhelmed by the Optional Equipment choices available and I am hoping you can provide some guidance. My initial thought is to go for a 250, but is a 200 just as good? Should I choose manual or 7G-Tronic? Should I go for the AMG Sport option?
On the Options - where to start?
  • Vario Roof with Magic Sky, or plain steel?
  • Dynamic Handling Package?
  • Intelligent Light System?
  • Memory Package?
  • Mirror Package?
  • Airguide/Airscarf?
  • COMAND or Becker?
I could go on and on! Does anyone out there have the ideal suggested spec for an SLK - up to say £50k?

I visited my local dealer today (Gatwick) and they weren't much help - just gave me the price / option list, but they could not even show me a Magic Sky roof.

I found this forum when I was searching for advice on the Personal Collection option from the factory in Germany. Looks like an SLK is collected from Bremen, but that Stuttgart would be more fun. Do you know if you can choose which factory to choose from? Presumably you are directed to Bremen because this is where SLK's are built. Has anybody driven from there to Stuttgart, to see the museum and then home? Do MB look after you in Stuttgart too? Obviously I would be prepared to pay for my own hotel there.

Any advice on whether it is best to go through a local dealer or through MB World at Brooklands? If a local dealer, any recommendations for Sussex/Surrey? Gatwick, Brighton, Redhill, Guildford, Chichester?

And how far in advance would you recommend placing my order if I want to collect on a specific date in April 2013? My salesman today suggested October/November this year. I have seen some posts where they move the date, but also that they will hold a car for XX days after build. Any advice on the best month to place the order gratefully received.

A final question, on visiting the local dealer today I noticed a couple of cars with an ugly aerial on the boot lid. Is this for COMAND or for the phone? Would I have an aerial if I choose a GPS system but no phone?

And a final final question - does anyone know the best people to hire an SLK from in the UK? I have to attend a wedding in Cumbria in May and this would a good opportunity for an extended test drive before I finally decide to spend my money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

OP
I

IJE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
Order Placed - But Factory Collection now stopped!

I placed my order for an SLK 250AMG with Mercedes Benz in Brighton back in June for next April - when I reach 60 and hope to retire.

I was really looking forward to collecting my new car from Bremen on my birthday, but yesterday I had a call from the dealer to say that the Factory Collection scheme is to be stopped at the end of 2012. I phoned the MB Factory Collection Team and they confirmed that the scheme was being stopped. They would honour any arrangements made before year end, but not after that.

Sure enough the Factory Collection option has disappeared from the latest SLK Price List issued on 1 October and the links on the website have gone too.

Can we start a petition for MB to reinstate the scheme?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just saying hello and welcome, so sorry you got no replies to your first post.

There certainly are some odd money saving schemes going on right now

OP
I

IJE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK
Thanks for replying

Hi, I rented an SLK 350 from Europcar back in May when I decided this body shape would make a practical touring car.

I also rented an SLK 250CDI in August - awesome torque but not as smooth a drive as the SLK 250 Petrol I test drove at my dealership.

So I went ahead and ordered:-
  • 250 SLK Petrol AMG in Fire Opal with Sahara Beige
  • Plain Vario Roof
  • Dynamic Handling Package
  • Driving Assistance Package
  • Intelligent Light System
  • Memory Package
  • Mirror Package
  • Airguide/Airscarf
  • COMAND
I was so looking forward to collecting this in April next year - now looks like it will be down to the local dealership instead.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have been reading the other post and its all rather a shock

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
Aaaaah . . . I'm already thinking 10 years ahead to a time I maybe able to afford a second hand example of the above :)

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hello and a very belated welcome from me too......the car is more important than the collection.

Mic

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
Is there any crumpet in the dealership? - could be a redeeming factor

JohannW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI
Hi All

I have been doing some research looking at getting a SLK 250 CDI but am at a loss as to how to identify some of the optional extras when looking at second hand models!
How does one identify for sure that the car has these options, for example the Dynamic Handling Package?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have been doing some research looking at getting a SLK 250 CDI but am at a loss as to how to identify some of the optional extras when looking at second hand models!
How does one identify for sure that the car has these options, for example the Dynamic Handling Package?

Post up the VIN number here and people will give you the option list specific to that car.

JohannW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI
SLK 250 CDI

Thanks Mark.
My first posting so thanks for the quick reply.
I don't have the VIN number but will get that.
The registration is FX62YPG if that is of any use.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Thanks Mark.
My first posting so thanks for the quick reply.
I don't have the VIN number but will get that.
The registration is FX62YPG if that is of any use.

The VIN is on the passenger side of the windscreen under the wiper blade

JohannW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 250 CDI
SLK 250 CDI optional extras

Mark
VIN =

Last edited:

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom