Zenon Headlight issue... Maybe....

R

roadster198

I have an R129 1998 SL320. When I switched on the headlights to-day they came on as normal but as I went to drive away one of the zenons went out and the warning light came on the dash. I switched them off and back on and all was well warning light went out. Then about twenty miles later going over a bump it went off again. I switched on and off and again all was well. I'm hoping it's just a lose connection as I see on other threads how expensive these lights are.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be the issue?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This could be a faulty bulb or connection, you could start by swapping the bulbs from side to side. They are not expensive now on Ebay and best bought in pairs to get a good colour match.

It could be a dry joint on the controller ECU or the igniter

OP
R

roadster198

This could be a faulty bulb or connection, you could start by swapping the bulbs from side to side. They are not expensive now on Ebay and best bought in pairs to get a good colour match.

It could be a dry joint on the controller ECU or the igniter

Can you tell me where the controller ECU is located under the bonnet? Is it easy to spot?

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
85 or 90 it could be in or under the lamp

index.php

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
A loose earth did the same for mine.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Where on the R129 can I check if this is the case?

There are earths all over the car. They are brown wires attached to the body/chassis. The one closest to the offending headlamp is the one to look for. In my car it was under the bonnet behind the headlamp.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom