Single button Key Fob W210 E200

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E200 W210 Saloon 1997 W202 C180
They say lightning doesnt strike twice - Well believe me it does. My Key fob has stopped working on my E200 hence arming the immobiliser.(I have changed the batteries - Still no good)

This happenend to me few years back and I ended up buying a new keyfob from the main dealer pretty expensive at the time few hundred I do recall.

I have taken the key fob case apart to have a peep at the pcb and there is no signs of anything loose so I dont believe there is an easy DIY fix.

What I would be interseted to Know is - Is there any way of disarming the immobiliser - If I could get the car started I Would use the flip key to open door/boot etc and not bother with FOB ?

Also - I see there a Key Fobs for sale on ebay obviously the key blade would have to be changed but would there be a problem programming the key ?

:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The tracking can go open circuit that stops the fob from working, if it is working you will see the beam in a camera.

The circuit board use through hole plating and these can fail, it is possible to find the breaks with an ohmmeter, the track that leaves the battery contact pad also goes open circuit

Attachments

• Picture 249.jpg
    Picture 249.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 151
OP
M

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm - I can confirm that I can see the beam through a camera.

I can also see the beam through the camera even when the button on the fob is NOT pressed - Is this normal ?

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
When your finger is off the button then there should be no light.
Is your ignition lock like the first or the second picture?
Try the remote out of its shell like this guy here… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqfivH9-Dg&feature=player_embedded
Particularly, see what he says at timeline 6:23
Dec
attachment.php

IGNb.jpg

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm - I can confirm that I can see the beam through a camera.

I can also see the beam through the camera even when the button on the fob is NOT pressed - Is this normal ?

If the key is sending without a button pushed that is not right and it will flatten your battery in the key, it must be assembled wrong, what year is the car please

OP
M

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the key is sending without a button pushed that is not right and it will flatten your battery in the key, it must be assembled wrong, what year is the car please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So a single button with the flip out key, and no transponder circuitry,,, yes now I know what key you have, this one can drift off tune, and a new one is the only way, they cost about £175 from MB

OP
M

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When your finger is off the button then there should be no light.
Is your ignition lock like the first or the second picture?
Try the remote out of its shell like this guy here… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqfivH9-Dg&feature=player_embedded
Particularly, see what he says at timeline 6:23
Dec
attachment.php

IGNb.jpg

Thanks DEC

My Ignition is like the second Picture - Interesting point about the solder joints I will try that Tomorrow and see what that brings - When Ive the circuitboard in my hand with only the 2 batterys connected without pressing the switch I am getting a light - This should not be

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Thanks DEC

My Ignition is like the second Picture - Interesting point about the solder joints I will try that Tomorrow and see what that brings - When Ive the circuitboard in my hand with only the 2 batterys connected without pressing the switch I am getting a light - This should not be

Correct, should be no light if not pressed, I think one of the two keys in that video has the same fault as yours as the light is on all the time.
It seems to me that the button has failed while the car was in the locked state and therefore the car is immobilised… so getting the button to work just one more time (inside the car and pointed at thee receiver) should release the immobiliser.

If you do get it started, don’t use the remote again until you get the remote fixed properly, use the key blade to lock/unlock the car.

That key almost certainly can be fixed by someone experienced in soldering or by the likes of a TV/Computer repair shop.

Dec

Edit; See also, Fob Repair here… http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26895

KeyfobAndBatteries.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Luckily this morning ater much manipulation with the fob I disarmed the Immobiliser Phew ! At least I am mobile and lock doors with Key as suggested

I will not deploy the fob from here on - but is there any chance that the Immobiliser could recactivate itself back to having the imobilsier on again which is my biggest fear - Undecided whethet to buy a new fob or not Quoted €400 this morning

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Why not let someone fix the key properly, it is a flip flop circuit from the remote

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
That proves that… in the right hands… the remote is repairable, the Tactile switch is most likely stuck on, it can be replaced, in the mean time keep the batteries out of the fob and do any testing/repairs well away from the car so you don’t enable the immobiliser again until you are sure the remote fob is working properly and reliably.
I don’t think it can reactivate again, not until someone presses the remote button once again with the batteries in the remote.

Tactile switch examples... http://www.google.com/search?q=tact...YBQ&biw=1311&bih=841&sei=ASl9UKi4CtKRhQfKo4BQ

That £400 is definitely not right, check else where, I’ve heard around £180/£190 for a flip out key, mind, it is a good idea to have a spare.
Key Fobs for sale on eBay cant be programmed for your car, the are sometimes useful for spare parts or for there shell/case.

Dec

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I paid about £175 for a 3 button flip out, the older one should be a tad cheaper

OP
M

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Many thanks gentlemen for endeavouring to ease my pain - I will attempt to have it repaired by someone more qualified than I and also seek a new quote for a new fob.

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
Thanks, I thought the €400 was pounds and didn’t spot that its Ireland so it won’t surprise me if €400 is correct.
Its just ridicules here the cost of that key compared to the UK, €400 is about £320. It will be interesting to know what the best quote is, let us know the outcome.

Get the tactile switch replaced as the existing one is too unreliable.

Dec

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
That's an obscene price. MB should be ashamed

nekomata

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 1996
Luckily this morning ater much manipulation with the fob I disarmed the Immobiliser Phew ! At least I am mobile and lock doors with Key as suggested

I will not deploy the fob from here on - but is there any chance that the Immobiliser could recactivate itself back to having the imobilsier on again which is my biggest fear - Undecided whethet to buy a new fob or not Quoted €400 this morning
Hi Molly
I appear to have a similar problem to yourself and was wondering if you found any particular techniques for getting the remote to trigger.

Thanks for any tips you can give,
Stu

OP
M

molly

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Molly
I appear to have a similar problem to yourself and was wondering if you found any particular techniques for getting the remote to trigger.

Thanks for any tips you can give,
Stu

Sorry to hear your in trouble.

In order to dis arm my immobiliser I just kept pressing on/off on/off with the fob pointed towards the rear view mirror until the central locking popped. As outline in Dec's post Its most likely that the tactile switch is malfuntioning in mine because the infra red beam is on 100% of the time which is incorrect - It should only appear when the buttom on the fob is pressed.

I assume that You have looked at all the replies on this thread as there are very good replies by Dec and Malcolm (Television) .

Good luck - Hope You make progress

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom