Main light switch

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Just noticed tonight that although the centre of the switch ie the bit you turn, is back lit, the static part .... the bit with parking lights left or right, off, auto, side lights, headlights and rear fog isn't :confused: :confused:
Have I got a duff bulb? Surely it should also be back lit? :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That is normal and most MB's are like that

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
As Malcolm says, it's normal...not sensible, but normal.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
As Malcolm says, it's normal...not sensible, but normal.

I didn't want to seem negative .... again :rolleyes: so didn't want to say. I'm glad someone else agrees though. ;) ;)

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... except that there is a large green tell-tale next to the switch that is the only indicator the side/dipped have come on

Same as mine. You have to actively look for it because it's nowhere near anything else. Conversely, the B Class courtesy car I was given had a tell tale right in the middle of the dash (speedo/tacho :confused:) where you would expect it to be. ;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No bulb shown on the 251 30 below , the thing is these bulbs in the dash hardly ever fail so if it does not light up, it probably is not meant to.

I cannot say that I have ever needed to look for a lamp switch, so does it matter, one does it by feel

m.mycat

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I cannot say that I have ever needed to look for a lamp switch, so does it matter, one does it by feel .....

Didn't that used to be the case with ALL switches? :rolleyes: You just had to fumble in the dark (oooer :rolleyes:) to find your lights, wipers etc etc because none of them had any kind of illumination. ;);)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Didn't that used to be the case with ALL switches? :rolleyes: You just had to fumble in the dark (oooer :rolleyes:) to find your lights, wipers etc etc because none of them had any kind of illumination. ;);)

As the lamp switch is always in the same place and no others near by with the same type of knob, one does not have to grope or fumble, you just put your hand out, it not good to be looking down there when you are driving anyway

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
With lights on "Auto" even less need but that doesn't negate the desire to have it illuminated. I know when I changed mine on the 203 it made quite a subtle but pleasing difference

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With lights on "Auto" even less need but that doesn't negate the desire to have it illuminated. I know when I changed mine on the 203 it made quite a subtle but pleasing difference

Little things

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.................. Now! How does the switch come out? :lol::lol:

Give up! How the hell does the thing come out? Got the side of the dash off, so can push the switch from behind, but no joy. Is it like removing a radio? eg there's a clip at the side? :confused:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
On mine there was a small screw underneath in the parking brake handle release recess

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
On mine there was a small screw underneath in the parking brake handle release recess

Arh! I saw two there as well as the one in the side, but assumed they were holding the park brake release ........

I'll be back! ;);)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Never mind Malcolm ...

I just could not car less if the thing lit up or not,,,as it so happens on mine in the auto setting the headlamp wash switch is illuminated as is the Night vision switch on the other side.

And as before one should know where the switches are like putting your finger on the end of your nose

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I just could not car less if the thing lit up or not,,,as it so happens on mine in the auto setting the headlamp wash switch is illuminated as is the Night vision switch on the other side.

And as before one should know where the switches are like putting your finger on the end of your nose

But you had to go and check? ;)

BTW I never try touching the end of my nose whilst driving, just might poke myself in the eye!! :cool:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But you had to go and check? ;)

BTW I never try touching the end of my nose whilst driving, just might poke myself in the eye!! :cool:

No I had seen it before when testing the night vision out, and now we know what the real problem is

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom