Belt makes squeaking noise

rallen

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2001 / CLS 320 2007 / SLK 280 2006
Hello

On our old 2001 E320, and with the engine on idle, there is a squeaking noise which must come from the belt at the front of the engine. Trouble is this belt goes around a number of pulleys and I have no idea which one is making the noise. Some of the pulleys are the alternator, crankshaft, two more which must be the steering pump and water pump, and a couple of others one of which must be a tensioner.

I do remember I had to take the belt out in order to remove the alternator and it was a bugger to get back in, I cannot even remember how exactly I did it.

What can I do about this?

Thanks
Akis

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is the idle pulley that normally squeals, just put a tiny drop of oil if you can in the center

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Is your belt in good order ? ie flexible and free from cracks,try some mildly soapy water on it whilst its running just replace if anything amiss.
If not the belt, a long piece of dowel placed CAREFULLY on the engine should reveal the noisy part as you get near.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
If not the belt, a long piece of dowel placed CAREFULLY on the engine should reveal the noisy part as you get near.

I know what you mean ..... used as a stethoscope ;) but it would just fall off if placed on the engine. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
It is the idle pulley that normally squeals, just put a tiny drop of oil if you can in the center

Just guessing ....... ;) but is the bearing on the tensioner accessible? If so, it might be possible to gently prise the dust cover off it and apply a bit of grease - then replace the cover.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
5 and 35, it may be possible to get a little oil down at the rear, never use grease where oil will go

m.mycat

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
5 and 35, it may be possible to get a little oil down at the rear, never use grease where oil will go .....

Looks similar to the tension on my Omega. That has a standard bearing encapsulated in the centre of the pulley, and the bearings are greased from the (bearing) factory ;);)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks similar to the tension on my Omega. That has a standard bearing encapsulated in the centre of the pulley, and the bearings are greased from the (bearing) factory ;);)

That is a hard one, bearings do use a normal grease as we know or use,its more like a mocoma R oil,,you could not get grease in there anyway

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
My belt squeaks, and always has from new. Not under power but just a gentle repetitive rhythmic squeak.
But then I knew my steering pump pulley was replaced (and a few other bits) so I know it isn't a bearing. It's defo the belt and my belief is that it is a rough part that rubs the side wall of a pulley. It's not bad and I keep promising to track it down one day :rolleyes:
But with a puff of talc it goes quiet as a mouse and lasts a few weeks.

Perhaps yours is the same ??

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
On the OM613 it will be the spring in the tensioner the most likely culprit. Remove it and soak in oil as Mlacolm suggests should do the trick. Alternatively you could get a new one from ECP relatively cheap

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom