C Class Estate Suspension height

Bic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class Estate / 2002 / 2.2 CDI
There is 10mm height difference comparing both sides of the rear suspension. The springs are new and not the issue. The suspension appears lower than it should be, hence why the springs were replaced in the first place.

Does anyone have any idears what it could be? :confused:

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
You could quite possibly have a knackered shock absorber

OP
B

Bic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the prompt reply :D

The garage didn't pick this up. The hight on both sides seems low and you can just fit your finger between wheel arch an the wheel. Do you think both shocks could be faulty and would affect it in this way? What is the best way of confirming. The ride seems absolutley fine!

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I always thought springs determine ride height not shocks? Shocks control rebound/bounce.

On my S203 I could only just fit a finger between arch and wheel at the rear..

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Corrext, it's the springs that determine ride height.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Corrext, it's the springs that determine ride height.

I would generally agree with you, but, for example, on the 'go faster' MV6 Omega, the front shockers also drop the ride height. :confused:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I would generally agree with you, but, for example, on the 'go faster' MV6 Omega, the front shockers also drop the ride height. :confused:

Or was it that because it had lower springs, it had shorter shock absorbers...as is the case with my car.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Bent lower arm caused by kerbing?????

Wouldn't hat be bent upwards? Pushing the chassis higher?

Isnt that the problem here:confused:

Ah, I think I see how you mean. I was thinking depending where the bend is, in relation to the spring it could raise the spring seat, increasing the height?
But I guess any bend would be very outboard (and not affect the spring seat), so pushing the wheel up into the arch, giving the impression of lowering the ride.

OP
B

Bic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've just jacked the car up so that both wheels are off the ground and the suspension is full extended. Both sides are measuring exactly the same when there is no load. When I lower the car back down. The suspension height is now higher (looks normal height). After a drive the suspension height has gone lower. Could faulty shock absorbers restrict the ride height? :rolleyes:

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
I've just jacked the car up so that both wheels are off the ground and the suspension is full extended. Both sides are measuring exactly the same when there is no load. When I lower the car back down. The suspension height is now higher (looks normal height). After a drive the suspension height has gone lower. Could faulty shock absorbers restrict the ride height? :rolleyes:

No...what you are doing is normal. You jack the car up and then it is higher afterwards. The drive just settles everything down...relax.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom