This is not my week!!

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
Picture the scene...

2:30am at an unapproved speed on an empty motorway and the handling goes a bit wonky on the car just as I'm pulling off onto a sliproad... all of a sudden *badonkbadonkbadonkbadonkbadonkbadonkbadonk*

Hazards on, pull over and get out... horrible burning rubber smell - I wasn't going THAT fast!!

Press the tyres with my foot... nearside rear is flat :-|

Long story short... I changed my first tyre!!

Impressed with the Mercedes boot kit and found I had everything I needed to get the space saver on there and inflated without too much effort and swearing!!

OP
dml

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
I'm presuming it went flat due to the philips head screw I found embedded in the tyre.

So the question is... how the **** does this happen by ACCIDENT and can I get it repaired and if I can get it repaired should I or should I just buy a new tyre?

I'm quite upset, I don't see how a philips head screw ends up in a tyre by accident!

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Take it to a reputable tyre depot (you know one who will advise if you can have it fixed rather than just a new tyre) and see what they say!
You could have picked up the screw from the road, possibly dropped off from another car, could have come from anywhere really!

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Are you sure it wasn't a "pozidriv" head,much more prevelant nowadays (except for what comes with cheap imported items). Only joking.......I have had several screws in my tyres over the years but i do visit building sites quite a bit for my work so I sort of expect it to happen at some point.
Lucky it didnt happen at your "unapproved speed" on the motorway!.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
A hole in the tread can be repaired,, side wall damage cannot. If the tread was more than 3mm, if under this then hardly worth while

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
If you run the tyre for more than a few hundred yards flat the side wall will be damaged ...given your description I think it's gone mate.... Ouch! Not your week at all but a tyre is better than mechanical failure here I think...

==========================
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I'm quite upset, I don't see how a philips head screw ends up in a tyre by accident!

I used to park near the metal recycling skips at work, and ended up with several Phillips head screws in my tyres over the years, until I got wise to it. I'm not quite sure of the mechanics of how they enter the tyre at low speed, but they do. :shock:

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
And feel fortunate you have a spare wheel and not the 'sealant repair kits' found on most new cars. Garages are refusing to repair tyres that have had the sealant used fix punctures. (As seen on Watchdog this week).

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
One flat tyre does not make a bad week.
I'd say you slightly drifted off the very fortunate.

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
all a good experience for you Dan;) its a little more scary when you FRONT tyre goes at unapproved speeds!:shock::lol:

Well done on sorting it all out on your Todd mate, not nice at the best of times especially once its dark!

Whatever next..you be washing the car on your own soon:D:D:D

Hope you have a better Saturday mate;)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One flat tyre does not make a bad week.
I'd say you slightly drifted off the very fortunate.

True, I had a side lamp bulb fail last night, but I look on the bright side :D

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I'm presuming it went flat due to the philips head screw I found embedded in the tyre.

So the question is... how the **** does this happen by ACCIDENT and can I get it repaired and if I can get it repaired should I or should I just buy a new tyre?

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=98760&page=94

I was asking myself that very same question #934

Mic

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
I had this problem on the Rangy, it's just bad luck, not sabotage! The screw is lying in the road and Sods Law dictates that the tread flicks the pointy end into a grove.

I was advised that a repair wouldn't be a good idea, as the steel radial belts in the tyre would have been damaged.

You were lucky you can't get a wheel off, of a Rangy without a high lift trolley jack......................:Oops:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Some of us don't even know how to change a flat tyre which would have made it even worse :Oops:

You would just have to stand by the road side for 30 seconds and a swarm of helpers would be at hand to do it for you

OP
dml

dml

Reaction score
Website
invalid.name
Your Mercedes
R230 SL500
The chap at Micheldever said it had worn down on the inside due to the camber of the rear wheels and when I questioned it he showed me how it had split on the inside and said the other one was about to do the same.

Looking back at the photo of the tyre I took last night the tread was absolutely fine right around the tyres so I suspect he was talking utter nonsense and just wanted to sell me a pair of £300 tyres...

... which I would have bought anyway because I'd knackered the flat one and I don't like the idea of having a mis-matched pair.

I don't think I'll be going back there - who is good for tyres next time?

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
We use trade tyres in Sotton Dan, they look after us well!!!!

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to park near the metal recycling skips at work, and ended up with several Phillips head screws in my tyres over the years, until I got wise to it. I'm not quite sure of the mechanics of how they enter the tyre at low speed, but they do. :shock:

POZIDRIV;)

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You would just have to stand by the road side for 30 seconds and a swarm of helpers would be at hand to do it for you

I saw a damsel in distress some years back and proceeded to change her wheel for her(it was on a petrol station forecourt), 20 minutes later just as i finished.....................her male partner came out of the shop and said"thanks mate thats saved me a lot of grief". Both got in the car and drove off.Never again!.(well maybe).

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
The chap at Micheldever said it had worn down on the inside due to the camber of the rear wheels and when I questioned it he showed me how it had split on the inside and said the other one was about to do the same.

Looking back at the photo of the tyre I took last night the tread was absolutely fine right around the tyres so I suspect he was talking utter nonsense and just wanted to sell me a pair of £300 tyres...

... which I would have bought anyway because I'd knackered the flat one and I don't like the idea of having a mis-matched pair.

I don't think I'll be going back there - who is good for tyres next time?

If the tyre guy is correct about your tyres being worn down on the inside then the nail in the tyre incident will have been a godsend...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom