Black doughnuts on each corner

Robbostanhill

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Estate 2003 and *Her* C220 W203
The "Fullrun" (AKA crap cheapo rubber round things) are about as much use as a chocolate firegaurd.
They were on the car when I bought it and although I enjoy (But SWMBO Don't) the squirrily back end drift when driving round corners in the wet enthusiastically I would prefer if the rear end was a little more predictable when "she" is driving it. (Even though the all-singing-all-dancing electrickery keeps the vehicle safer than some)
:)
So

Recommendations for 225x45ZR x 17 please and why you like your tyres

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The problem will come when you drive around the next corner in the wet...more enthusiastically because of the better tyres...the accident will be at a higher speed.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
There are numerous thread sin here about tyres... Probably done them to death along with suppliers/fitters etc... I would simply direct you there where we have all commented on our tyre experiences with different makes ...

Search "tyres" and see what it shows here....huge amounts of info and all recent...

==========================
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The problem will come when you drive around the next corner in the wet...more enthusiastically because of the better tyres...the accident will be at a higher speed.

That's not really an excuse for the OP NOT to buy better tyres is it.

As has been pointed out there are many threads here of recommended tyres.

There are plenty of websites that give reviews.

I have always been of the opinion that money should never be skimped on tyres, suspension or brakes. They're what you rely in to keep you on the road and stop you in time.

Personally I tend to go for Michelin Primacy HP, but I don't think that they're available in that profile. Currently I'm using Bridestone RE030 (or something like that) in a 45 and 40 profile, but on 18" rims.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
All tyres have a limit. Best not to discover it in the wet.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Yes all tyres have a limit, but your argument is flawed.

It's not a good idea to explore the limits of grip for any tyre on a public road, no matter what the weather.

Wet grip will always be worse than dry grip, therefore any accident caused by loss of grip will happen at a slower speed than if it happens in the dry. Any impact thus incurred will be at a lower velocity and therefore more survivable.

The OP states that the wet grip of his tyres is poor.

He wants better grip in the wet.

Admittedly he uses the word "enthusiastically" in his statement, but to him that may not mean the extremes that you appear to associate with the word. I know people who claim that fast driving is 50 mph and that they would never drive at 70mph on a motorway because that is too fast for them.

I would never condone telling someone to stick with tyres that they find to be low on grip, based on any assumption that I've made as to their driving style, in the hope that they'll drive how I perceive that they should. The tyres may actually be dangerously lacking in grip in the wet.

As the OP stated his wife/partner finds the lack of grip in the wet with his current tyres to be lacking and unpredictable.

That in my book is a dangerous combination.

I never thought that it was the aim of this forum to judge the behaviour of forum members, but instead to offer advice and to share experience of our cars, but it would appear to no longer be the case.

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
i agree all tyres have a limit, but clearly what the OP is asking is that he wants better than he already has.

I can comment on this from personal experience with my E class. When we bought it, it too had those awful Fulrun tyres on it, now in the dry, fine, but wet weather was literally awful, and it really didnt matter what speed you drove! The ESP does keep it in line, but really had to work.
I since replaced with Pirrelli P7, which to me gave a good amount of grip, plenty more wet grip than the fullruns and kept it quiet, but with a good degree of life.
Those that what more grip, less life can play with the compounds, but prices go up and the miles tumble down.
The Merc on the P7's is now surefooted even in hard corners in the wet, far more grip than i'll ever need being an Estate.
Hope that helps

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom