Airmatic compressor running

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Just got home from work. As I opened the door, I could hear something running driver's side front wing ..... compressor kind of thing :confused::confused: Gave it a minute, still running ....... restarted the car ...... still running .... turned engine off ...... still running .........restarted car & raised the suspension on the Airmatic ....... still running ......... turned engine off .......... (there's a theme here ;)) still running. Poked around front off side wing & burnt my finger on the obviously hot compressor :cry: Pulled each relay ine at a time at rear SAM ......... still running. :confused::confused:
I'd have pulled the battery leads if only I could get at the bu66er, so eventually partially moved wheel arch liner & pulled the plug from the compressor.
I was getting a little worried for a moment because I could see what looked like smoke from the wing ...................

Any thoughts? (obviously I'll phone MB in the morning :))

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I thought the airmatic compressor was under the near-side front wing?

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I thought the airmatic compressor was under the near-side front wing?

You might be right. I saw a compressor & assumed that it was for the suspension :confused: :confused: If it's not, I'm not sure what else it could be ........ :confused:

I'll be back ...... off to see if the suspension raises ;)

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Definitely the Airamtic pump. Only got as far as the ignition & the dash shows the car with the Airmatic 'up' arrow & 'Visit workshop' ;);)

Any clue as to where the relay for it is - presuming it runs via one

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Mercedes-Benz S430 Problem

26 Reports

Model Years Affected: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Average Mileage: 101,254 mi (13,600 mi - 200,000 mi)
Verified

The relay which turns the airmatic suspension pump on may fail causing the pump to run continuously. This can result in failure of the pump motor or a dead battery as the pump motor will continue to run after the car is turned off.

The AirMatic Relay N10/1KR and 40amp fuse are within the fuse box in the engine compartment

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Mercedes-Benz S430 Problem

26 Reports

Model Years Affected: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
Average Mileage: 101,254 mi (13,600 mi - 200,000 mi)
Verified

The relay which turns the airmatic suspension pump on may fail causing the pump to run continuously. This can result in failure of the pump motor or a dead battery as the pump motor will continue to run after the car is turned off.

The AirMatic Relay N10/1KR and 40amp fuse are within the fuse box in the engine compartment

Thanks Graeme That's great!

I'll have a quick look tomorrow evening if it's dry, back in work all day again tomorrow....... & Sunday

The car only has 47000 miles on it :confused::confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This was well known on the 220, I am surprised that they can still have these circuits where the relays cannot release, and just stay latched, a very poor design if this is the case, just like the relays on the sequencial gear box

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
This was well known on the 220, I am surprised that they can still have these circuits where the relays cannot release, and just stay latched, a very poor design if this is the case, just like the relays on the sequencial gear box

Are the relays staying latched because they still have power on them ie being told to stay latched, or because the relay has failed & the contactor inside welding together? :confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a hard one, it depends much on how a relay is wired in. usually it is the relay its self that get damaged through overloading, or the rating not high enough, with excess heat and arcing of the contacts, this could give false information back to the circuit that asked for the relay to run. In all the cases that I have known the only cure has been a modified relay.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Open the front fuse box under the bonnet near slam panel, replace the green five pin relay, that's the one for the pump, Another common fault....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Open the front fuse box under the bonnet near slam panel, replace the green five pin relay, that's the one for the pump, Another common fault....

Would this apply Cole to the 219 CLS, as prevention is better than any cure

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Ah right, yes, that relay is again green, o/s fuse box, at the rear of the Sam, not plugged into it tho, there is a plug on its own attached to the fuse box itself.....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah right, yes, that relay is again green, o/s fuse box, at the rear of the Sam, not plugged into it tho, there is a plug on its own attached to the fuse box itself.....

Thank you very much and we can pass that info on when you are busy :D:D

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

Thanks.
I haven't been ignoring you, I'm busy(-ish :rolleyes:) at work and have only just looked on line. I'll have a look tonight when I get home.
MB weren't really that helpful ..... 'we really really busy & can't get your car in till a week on Monday!' :eek:

-raj-

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Multiple R230's & E250 CDI
Any update on this? exact same thing happened to my dad cls last night

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Any update on this? exact same thing happened to my dad cls last night

There's a bit of a tale to tell ........ :Oops:
I tried a similar relay in place of the OE green relay I took out of the front SAM and 'things' happened - clicking etc from the front of the engine. The result was that the car would only run for 5 secs or so. A local indie kinda fixed it, but the Airmatic icon appears within a mile or so along with 'Vist workshop', which is where it is now. I was economical with the truth when I told MB what the problem was. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'l let you know.

Last edited:

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom