Windscreen mistake!

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
Had an interesting conversation with a guy I worked with a while ago today. He bought a used clk a few months ago from my supplying dealer (let's not get me started on them)
He noticed when looking at the car that there was a crack in the windscreen, naturally he asked for it to be changed, seems simple doesn't it!!
The day he went to pick the car up the first thing he noticed was the windscreen wasn't changed.
Asked the salesman (same muppet who sold me my car) why it hadn't been changed.
To his astonishment the reply was we have changed it, he pointed out the crack and stated, sorry but that is exactly as it was.
They changed the rear window!! WTF, how hard is it??
Just goes to show, the dealers really don't listen to us!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Maybe he was a backward guy ;):D:D

Beemer2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 petrol W212
Had an interesting conversation with a guy I worked with a while ago today. He bought a used clk a few months ago from my supplying dealer (let's not get me started on them)
He noticed when looking at the car that there was a crack in the windscreen, naturally he asked for it to be changed, seems simple doesn't it!!
The day he went to pick the car up the first thing he noticed was the windscreen wasn't changed.
Asked the salesman (same muppet who sold me my car) why it hadn't been changed.
To his astonishment the reply was we have changed it, he pointed out the crack and stated, sorry but that is exactly as it was.
They changed the rear window!! WTF, how hard is it??
Just goes to show, the dealers really don't listen to us!

I was confused by your comment. Was the saleman pointing out that the sale was based on "what you see is what you get", i.e. a car with a cracked windscreen?

OP
E320mark

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
I was confused by your comment. Was the saleman pointing out that the sale was based on "what you see is what you get", i.e. a car with a cracked windscreen?

No, it had been agreed to replace the windscreen at the time of negotiating the sale!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
So a fitter replaced a perfectly good rear window and left a cracked front screen. Sounds like a centre of muppetry excellence.
Still, not really a problem. They just still have a screen to replace. Or did the salesman think your friend would accept the car as it is?

OP
E320mark

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
So a fitter replaced a perfectly good rear window and left a cracked front screen. Sounds like a centre of muppetry excellence.
Still, not really a problem. They just still have a screen to replace. Or did the salesman think your friend would accept the car as it is?

Yes, a fitter replaced a perfectly good rear window! Common sense would make you think he would notice and ask why the change, there was nothing wrong!
The salesman was indeed trying to do the handover without changing the cracked front screen!
This guys reputation precedes him, most people I talk to in the trade have heard of him and everyone has the same reaction, sharp intake of breath through their teeth!
To top it all off, he has recently been promoted too! Must be to senior muppet from bog standard muppet!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
He sounds ideal management material for MB, clearly black can now be as white as front is back.

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
It sound's even more stupid, as there was no reason to change the rear screen so he had nothing to gain, i.e like saying "oh I thought you meant the rear I will have to charge for the front" if you see what I mean.

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
This guys reputation precedes him, most people I talk to in the trade have heard of him and everyone has the same reaction, sharp intake of breath through their teeth!
To top it all off, he has recently been promoted too! Must be to senior muppet from bog standard muppet!

Doe he appear to be missing two TV's when he walks? One from under each arm?

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
I have to say some responsibility surely lies with the screen fitter. If you were asked to replace an apparently perfectly good " screen" wouldn't you check all the vehicle windows and then on finding a cracked front screen ask if there had been a mistake? Of course the possibility of charging for the replacing of 2 screens instead of one may may have played a part?;)

OP
E320mark

E320mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi sport 2007
I have to say some responsibility surely lies with the screen fitter. If you were asked to replace an apparently perfectly good " screen" wouldn't you check all the vehicle windows and then on finding a cracked front screen ask if there had been a mistake? Of course the possibility of charging for the replacing of 2 screens instead of one may may have played a part?;)

I am probably the wrong person to ask about the dealer due to the problems I had with them, however when you pick up your car and been told that all four wheels have been refurbed and three wheels are the same finish and one is diamond cut, it speaks volumes!!
I remember asking what he was going to do about it. His response, I think the wheels look fantastic!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom