New here and need a little help ;-)

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
Hi guys been looking at the forums alot and decided to join up eventually ;-) my 2000 e320 cdi has the stupid squeaky steering issue that people talk about on alot of w210's. i have tried the rubber boot in the firewall and its not that its heavily greased by last owner and now me. i have replaced the power steering oil and that didnt work. although i do notice some oil residue around the oil filler cap? anyway i put the car on my lift and moved the wheels over and back and isolated the noise to the shaft that connects the rack to the steering column.i wedged a flat screwdriver under the plastic cover on the shaft of the rack and squirted wd 40 in there and the noise was gone for a few days. so my question is what was under the cap? a seal an o ring ? i am a mechanic so i would take out the rack or follow instruction to fix this. thanks for your help Tom

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Hi guys been looking at the forums alot and decided to join up eventually ;-) my 2000 e320 cdi has the stupid squeaky steering issue that people talk about on alot of w210's. i have tried the rubber boot in the firewall and its not that its heavily greased by last owner and now me. i have replaced the power steering oil and that didnt work. although i do notice some oil residue around the oil filler cap? anyway i put the car on my lift and moved the wheels over and back and isolated the noise to the shaft that connects the rack to the steering column.i wedged a flat screwdriver under the plastic cover on the shaft of the rack and squirted wd 40 in there and the noise was gone for a few days. so my question is what was under the cap? a seal an o ring ? i am a mechanic so i would take out the rack or follow instruction to fix this. thanks for your help Tom

The miserable lot - well, I'll say Welcome on their behalf :p

The 'techie' guys are probably fixing stuff or having a cuppa - they'll be along soon.

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Yes welcome to you Tom.......would've acknowledged you earlier but was just tucking into my Sunday roast;)

huey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 cdi 2004 Estate
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum, there will soon be someone who can help solve your problem:D

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
Thanks guys I hope so as I'm driving it now and it's so ****** annoying lol

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, is the part here

index.php

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
This is all I can find . Does anyone know what the wis document at the end is?

If you receive customer reports of a squeaking noise while slowly turning the steering wheel in the referenced vehicles, that may be caused by the bottom radial shaft sealing ring on the control head. In that case, please perform the following procedure.
Note : DO NOT REPLACE THE STEERING RACK.
1. Verify that the power steering oil is properly filled and clean.
2. Verify that the strainer is properly secured in the reservoir and not causing aeration of the power steering oil.
3. Verify that the steering shaft boot is not the cause of the noise.
4. If the noise still exists, refer to the repair instructions as outlined in WIS document AF46.20-P-1100AG.

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
Hello and welcome, is the part here

index.php

Hi thanks for your help, yes I would say the part 300 is the plastic cap which is bolted to the column I just got it prised up enough to squirt wd 40 with the red tube into the rack. It's like a dust cover but its also what seems to be connecting the steering rack to the steering rack/ column

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can send that document to you

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
That would be fantastic I would really like to find out is there an o ring or bushing or what it needs to be opened and fixed before I cry or ears bleed ha ha.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent 2 papers, I have no idea what the other one is and you can edit out your address

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
I got them there thank you. It says to change the radial shaft sealing ring do you happen to have the workshop manual or the procedure to do this ?

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
I got them there thank you. It says to change the radial shaft sealing ring do you happen to have the workshop manual or the procedure to do this ?

It says this in your mail

Noises on bottom radial shaft sealing ring on control head
1 Replace bottom radial shaft sealing ring.
SM46.20-P-0003A

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
That's great alot of info there and looks like alot of work for me :-(.
Do you work for mercedes or what that you have so much info? Is there any recall on the body work as I'm finding rust in lots of places amazingly

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just a hobby for me,,been in electronics all my life, I am old now and just waiting to snuff it ;);)

OP
T

Tommyt2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e320 cdi avantgarde
Ha ha well thanks for your help mate i will maybe do a DIY when I'm at it s I'm shur there are more like me with this problem

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ha ha well thanks for your help mate i will maybe do a DIY when I'm at it s I'm shur there are more like me with this problem

Yes there are 2 members who have not been able to cure it, so that would be nice

Sue new MB owner!!

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 /2009 /1.8
hello

:D Hello and welcome!!

I'm probably not gonna be any help!!..... but can assure you .... you will get plenty of good advise on here!! :p

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom